LDR: Ultraviolence

Comments

• DRAGON LANCEDRAGON LANCE Posts: 1,424
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just add to that a link to the Telegraph review of Coachella on Sunday:
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/music/live-music-reviews/10765156/Coachella-2014-day-three-review-Beck-Lana-del-Rey-and-Arcade-Fire.html

They give the event a 3 stars review but point out that Lana was one of the highlights with a “spine tingling performance” -I'll take that she was worth 5 stars then;-). The reviewer also seems highly impressed she can actually sing really rather well live. Shouldn't be any surprise to the Lana faithful who have always known this but I love it when people who obviously thought otherwise discover this for the first time!

And I would have loved to have put a decent video of Lana singing West Coast, but unfortunately what's on You-Tube is not the best quality this time around, There are some videos of the full song but because its a bass heavy song its causing the little camera phone mics to distort badly and you can't hear it too well for the nasty rasping effect. Shame cause it sounds great live from what I could hear.
  • MaksonMakson Posts: 30,477
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm getting a drunk "woozy" feeling from listening to the chorus...love how her music never fails to make me feel something.
  • SoupietwistSoupietwist Posts: 1,314
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Seems a bit average for a lead single? Certainly for me not on a par with either Video Games or Ride.
  • WhyHelloWorldWhyHelloWorld Posts: 15,494
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    #3 on US iTunes.
  • Aura101Aura101 Posts: 8,327
    Forum Member
    Seems a bit average for a lead single? Certainly for me not on a par with either Video Games or Ride.

there is some sense amongst the hysteria then.

its definitely weak for a lead single, but Lana is probably more an ''albums'' artist anyway.
    its nowhere near on a par with video games or ride, so these stans can cut it out right now!

however i have downloaded it on itunes, and it is growing on me... :cool:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Aura101 wrote: »
    there is some sense amongst the hysteria then.

its definitely weak for a lead single, but Lana is probably more an ''albums'' artist anyway.
    its nowhere near on a par with video games or ride, so these stans can cut it out right now!

however i have downloaded it on itunes, and it is growing on me... :cool:

I think people think it's weak because it's so different.

But there isn't a single song out at all that sounds anything like this. The tempo changes are just amazing. No artist dares to release something like this. It's very different, making it, not just a strong lead, but a BOLD song for the lead.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 523
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I love it & glad to see how well it's doing, she deserves it :)
  • brumiladbrumilad Posts: 1,467
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I like it, I don't know if I'm blown away. I get the comments that it isn't very single-ly.

However I am very excited about the direction. She was starting to almost teeter over that fine line into self parody and becoming an overly calculated attempt to be as David Lynch-esque as they could be. I like how this has drew a line under that while still being quite Lana.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 24,080
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Such a beautiful song and i love that it feels like a traditional Lana song but with a mixed up production compared to Born To Die...looking forward to the video and of course ULTRAVIOLENT which i think will be so big.....i get such a summery feeling from West COast....Lana has struck gold again!
  • konebyvaxkonebyvax Posts: 9,120
    Forum Member
    Its a new Lana song, OF COURSE it's amazing! :D Been saying this for a while, THE major new talent in music today. I love the fact that West Coast sounds in no way like it's Lana trying for a mainstream, generic sounding hit single. The real breakout artists tend to establish their own sound that is not like what is in the charts at the time (21 was a classic example of this and went on to reach a huge audience) and I firmly believe that Lana is destined to be one of those artists. The difference between the press attitude in the US for the launch of BTD and Ultraviolence is like night and day - she's won the US critics over by hard work, dedication, huge talent and just as importantly being shown to have balls of steel lol. A future legend.
  • SexSex Posts: 44,161
    Forum Member
    Loving the 70s vibe of this song
  • FMKKFMKK Posts: 32,074
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't really care if it sounds like a 'lead single' or not. It's nice if your favourite singers are doing well in the charts etc. but I would much rather that they put out music that I enjoy than trying to chase popular/radio/chart attention.
  • MrSuperMrSuper Posts: 18,531
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I have to agree with this. For a lead single for the new album i found the song to be quite poor to be honest, nothing stands out. Video Games has a vibe about it, so did Born To Die. This gives me nothing. Not a good advert for the album.
  • LMLM Posts: 63,477
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    MrSuper wrote: »
    I have to agree with this. For a lead single for the new album i found the song to be quite poor to be honest, nothing stands out. Video Games has a vibe about it, so did Born To Die. This gives me nothing. Not a good advert for the album.

I agree with all of this, especially considering the amount of times i have heard this

Along with the song she did for the Malificent film, it's one of the weakest recordings she has done. The stuff she did when she was 17 was better than this.
  • MaksonMakson Posts: 30,477
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    #2 in US iTunes
  • Hit Em Up StyleHit Em Up Style Posts: 12,141
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    On first listen as I said I also thought it was a weak first single but I've totally changed my mind now. Its totally additive. Esp the guitar rip. Maybe its because the sun is shining and this fits the mood of summer.

So pleased its storming US ITunes.
  • konebyvaxkonebyvax Posts: 9,120
    Forum Member
    Makson wrote: »
    #2 in US iTunes

And possibly coming for Pharell's #1 spot :o But let's not get too excited, obviously all her stans will have bought it straight away and US radio may shun it but hey ho it's still a definite sign of her growing popularity in her homeland. Lord only knows what took them so long to recognise this amazing talent in their midst /shakes head/

Ps the official audio vid has 2.6 million hits already!! Blimey.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    konebyvax wrote: »
    And possibly coming for Pharell's #1 spot :o But let's not get too excited, obviously all her stans will have bought it straight away and US radio may shun it but hey ho it's still a definite sign of her growing popularity in her homeland. Lord only knows what took them so long to recognise this amazing talent in their midst /shakes head/

Ps the official audio vid has 2.6 million hits already!! Blimey.

You don't need to be a rocket scientist to work that out. Her SNL performance nearly killed her US career. It wasn't until Young and Beautiful when people actually changed their mind about her in the US, followed by the overated remix of summertime sadness and then the grammy nominations
  • FMKKFMKK Posts: 32,074
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You don't need to be a rocket scientist to work that out. Her SNL performance nearly killed her US career. It wasn't until Young and Beautiful when people actually changed their mind about her in the US, followed by the overated remix of summertime sadness and then the grammy nominations

That's true but I think a lot of the backlash was media driven. They seemed to relish building her up and tearing her back down before she even had a chance to make a first impression on most people.

That performance was mega hyped and was a mess though.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Was there any need to be so rude?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    FMKK wrote: »
    That's true but I think a lot of the backlash was media driven. They seemed to relish building her up and tearing her back down before she even had a chance to make a first impression on most people.

That performance was mega hyped and was a mess though.

It was. They were very nasty about her upbringing. That she came from a wealthy family and her dad helped finance her Lizzy Grant album, so they saw her as someone as living off daddy's money and not working hard to get where she is. If her dad's money apparently had a hand in her becoming famous, then why was she not famous a long time ago and didn't become as successful until she was 24/25. Just shows how nasty the media were on someone who was talented and was doing something slightly different musically.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Was there any need to be so rude?

Urgh, coming from the person who has been rude to me several times for zero reasons. Practice what you preach

and i wasn't being rude. But i don't have to justify or edit how i explain things on DS for the likes of you. I have no reasons to be rude to Konebyvax, who is a nice member. Take a leaf out of their book.
  • VeriVeri Posts: 96,996
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I don't think that quite explains why it took so long. Saying "It wasn't until Young and Beautiful when people actually changed their mind about her in the US" is just indicating when the change happened, not explaining why it took until then.

Anyway, I don't think the SNL performance would have had that much effect if it hadn't been put into a picture of her as talentless, fake and manufactured, so that people applied stereotypes of "manufactured" acts who "can't sing".
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Veri wrote: »
    I don't think that quite explains why it took so long. Saying "It wasn't until Young and Beautiful when people actually changed their mind about her in the US" is just indicating when the change happened, not explaining why it took until then.

Anyway, I don't think the SNL performance would have had that much effect if it hadn't been put into a picture of her as talentless, fake and manufactured, so that people applied stereotypes of "manufactured" acts who "can't sing".

Urgh, why are you tearing into my opinion on why i think Lana's popularity may have gone down. I should of said IMO i think this is why, but again, i don't need to justify myself on this place more than i have in the past.

It did take a long time until Young and beautiful. It was a song from a highly publicised and successful film starring three well known actors. It wasn't a song you could really escape from in terms of the film's advertising. Her SNL performance had put such a damper on the talent they failed to see, they clearly were not interested in what else she had to offer, until Young and beautiful.

But regardless of whether your right or i am right, i think it was slightly arrogant of you to completley shoot down my opinion in a way that seems to be you saying "your wrong, i'm right, so stuff it.
  • Toy_HeroToy_Hero Posts: 11,358
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hmm, I'm a bit indifferent about West Coast. It doesn't seem that strong to me, but sure Lana is more of an album seller anyway. Hopefully it will grow on me. I slowly came around to Video Games and Born To Die and then got her album and thought it was fantastic, so I hope this will be the same. Funny enough the only songs that hit me straight away were 'Summertime Sadness' and 'Without you.' I think I'm just a big fan of Lana's darker sound, so hopefully the more I listen to West Coast the more I'll enjoy it.

I'm really happy to see her at #2 on US Itunes. It's nice to see this new beginning is starting out very positive