Shania Twain talks new album: 'I'm listening to Lana Del Rey'

konebyvaxkonebyvax Posts: 9,120
Forum Member
...as are a lot of us at the moment :D It could work. But has she left it too late?
The star revealed that she is a huge fan of Lana Del Rey and hinted that she is "kind of stuck on the sound of that record".

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/music/news/a510915/shania-twain-talks-new-album-im-listening-to-lana-del-rey.html

Comments

• ShimanoShimano Posts: 603
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Try doing something original instead.
  • James_Barker1James_Barker1 Posts: 324
    Forum Member
    I don't know if she has left it too late or not, since her country-pop crossover has left a definite impression on the industry, however whether she's still got people, especially in the uk who would buy her records is another question. I haven't stopped listening to Shania, so I would buy anything she releases.

As for the lana del rey sound, I'm not sure, it seems the complete opposite to Shania Twain's music feel. Personally I'd prefer a contemporary country-pop sound, that was more leaning towards country.
  • konebyvaxkonebyvax Posts: 9,120
    Forum Member
    My advice on a producer would be Rick Rubin - he has previously done wonders in reviving careers and he did produce the amazing 'Ride' for Lana, of course. Could be a really interesting collab. Orchestration-wise I would recommend the bloke Lana uses - Daniel Heath as he's amazing (and brings his movie soundtrack background to the table).
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 802
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I can't imagine Shania doing something Lana style. I get that she might want to change things up a bit after years in the game but she was at her best during the Come On Over era and I think she should stick to her own sound and writing style. I could see this ending badly.
  • 21stCenturyBoy21stCenturyBoy Posts: 44,493
    Forum Member
    Shimano wrote: »
    Try doing something original instead.

Never stopped Lana Del Rey (who's music is basically Nancy Sinatra without the anti-depressants)
  • RocketpopRocketpop Posts: 1,350
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    konebyvax wrote: »
    My advice on a producer would be Rick Rubin.

Isn't Shania still married to The Mutt? I'd so I can't imagine anyone else producing her albums.

Rubins a legend from the sheer amount of artists he's worked with and the variety of genres he's cover - but for me he's very hit and miss thesedays. In the early 90's he was one of the best undoubtedly.
  • MaksonMakson Posts: 30,447
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can't imagine Shania singing about Chateau Marmont and Coney Island Queens :D
  • SweetHeartHollySweetHeartHolly Posts: 1,558
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rocketpop wrote: »
    Isn't Shania still married to The Mutt?
    They divorced in 2008 I believe it was and she remarried on January 1, 2011.

God bless you and her always!!! :):):)

Holly

P.S. May she come back better than ever! :):):)
  • gpkgpk Posts: 10,206
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My advice on a producer would be Rick Rubin - he has previously done wonders in reviving careers and he did produce the amazing 'Ride' for Lana, of course. Could be a really interesting collab. Orchestration-wise I would recommend the bloke Lana uses - Daniel Heath as he's amazing (and brings his movie soundtrack background to the table).

that is a good suggestion and his track record speaks for itself. however, rick nowels would be my choice out of her producers, because "young and beautiful" is her best track for me and he has produced some amazing records over the years. i think he and shania could make good music together.

shania has spent so long between albums, i still sometimes wonder if it will ever see the light of day. however, i don't think people need worry about shania making a fool of herself trying desperately to rip off lana's style musically or visually.:D she probably wants to change things up and not like she'll be working with mutt again, but i don't envisage a drastic change of direction personally.
  • DRAGON LANCEDRAGON LANCE Posts: 1,424
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Another idea: What about a Lana & Shania duet? Now that would be something else.:eek:

Although my all-time totally unexpected Lana collaboration was when she turned up out of the blue on Bobby Womack's highly acclaimed Bravest Man in Universe album (that's the one produced by Damon Albarn & XL recordings boss Richard Russell). The song they all made together; Day Glo Reflection is the best track on the album IMO.

Don't think anyone saw that one coming and it still sends me silly thinking of what an amazing array of talent came together there.
    Forum Member
    Another idea: What about a Lana & Shania duet? Now that would be something else.:eek:

Although my all-time totally unexpected Lana collaboration was when she turned up out of the blue on Bobby Womack's highly acclaimed Bravest Man in Universe album (that's the one produced by Damon Albarn & XL recordings boss Richard Russell). The song they all made together; Day Glo Reflection is the best track on the album IMO.

Don't think anyone saw that one coming and it still sends me silly thinking of what an amazing array of talent came together there.

Agreed. And Mrs Konebyvax also agrees - along with Summer Wine, DayGlo reflection is her favourite 'Lana' song. :D Maybe it has something to do with me endlessly playing Bobby Womack's music when we were courting all those decades ago! :eek:
    Forum Member
    Rocketpop wrote: »
    Isn't Shania still married to The Mutt? I'd so I can't imagine anyone else producing her albums.

Rubins a legend from the sheer amount of artists he's worked with and the variety of genres he's cover - but for me he's very hit and miss thesedays. In the early 90's he was one of the best undoubtedly.

When you see why they got divorced I suspect you will realise there's very little chance of him producing any of her albums ever again :eek: Funny thing is Shania ended up marrying the ex-husband of the best friend who ran off with The Mutt!
  • glyn9799glyn9799 Posts: 7,391
    Forum Member
    I'm not sure what to expect. Mutt Lange had such a huge input into all of Shanias previous stuff that i'm not sure she will be able to recreate that sound without him. I hope i'm proved wrong though.

I also think that she has left it FAR too long between albums that most of her fanbase will have moved on. Again, I hope I am proved on.

Up and Come On Over are two of my favourite albums and I still listen to them both regularly :D I'd love to see her live.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    glyn9799 wrote: »
    I'm not sure what to expect. Mutt Lange had such a huge input into all of Shanias previous stuff that i'm not sure she will be able to recreate that sound without him. I hope i'm proved wrong though.

I also think that she has left it FAR too long between albums that most of her fanbase will have moved on. Again, I hope I am proved on.

Up and Come On Over are two of my favourite albums and I still listen to them both regularly :DI'd love to see her live.

i would love to see her live too, i don't want to spend a fortune on a trip to vegas though.:D
    Forum Member
    I think the fact she's willing to play live residencies (be it Vegas or anywhere else) suggest she's still motivated to make new music. She can't be doing it because she needs the wonga, surely?

PS and gpk, good call on Rick Nowells as producer. :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think the fact she's willing to play live residencies (be it Vegas or anywhere else) suggest she's still motivated to make new music. She can't be doing it because she needs the wonga, surely?

PS and gpk, good call on Rick Nowells as producer. :)

i would imagine she is comfortably well off with all those record sales back in the day and through her touring. its a comfortable way to make serious money in vegas, but i don't doubt her passion for music.

i just love his work and he is an amazing songwriter. i really like lana's music and think she is hugely talented, but that song is just her best for me. so pleased the track seems to having a second wind on us itunes at the moment.