Why is the gaming Media so obsessed with Gun games?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,043
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Each year when all the big releases are announced it always seems Gun Games are ranked for months in the charts.

Having not watched a gaming TV programme since the days of gamesmaster I watched the Blurb and it just seemed every week its shoot shoot shoot games all the time. If they arent reviewing Modern Warfare its Call of Duty or some other similar game. All 18 rated games yet they are allowed to air it at 11am?

Why is this type of game dominating the charts for so long? I always seem to find them boring as essentially they do the same thing. Move a target around the screen and bang bang bang.

Back when I was younger there was plenty of decent games in the charts, Platformers & Action/Adventure games but it seems you dont seem to get that these days and if you do there is very few of them that never stay around in the charts because Spec Ops games are hogging the limelight.

Comments

• MoggioMoggio Posts: 4,289
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ignore TV. Subscribe to gaming content providers on YouTube instead (UnitLostTube, TotalBiscuit, Yogscast etc.).

Also, if you're not a PC gamer and don't already use Steam, start gaming on your PC and use Steam. Variety abound.
  • CallousCallous Posts: 11,957
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think part of the reason is down to the background of most console gaming reporters/reviewers....which tends to be PC gaming based.

PC gaming was of course the primary location for FPS's.... and in the last generation consoles have essentially turned into diet coke PC's in terms of content. Those game reviewers who were PC gamers at heart now have more a chance to talk about the games they really want to, while the traditional true console game experience (arcade, quirky and often colourful) tends to be sidelined/frozen out.

Very few big western devs are making traditional console games these days. There was very little crossover between console and PC content prior to this gen, both had their own distinct specialities..now it's all kind of in the same pot (which has led to a blander market as a result).
  • HotbirdHotbird Posts: 10,009
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I watched the Blurb and it just seemed every week its shoot shoot shoot games all the time. If they arent reviewing Modern Warfare its Call of Duty or some other similar game. All 18 rated games yet they are allowed to air it at 11am?

Guess you missed the feature on Lego City and Ni No Kuni in the top 5 games so far this year.
  • beemohbeemoh Posts: 7,073
    Forum Member
    http://notanfps.tumblr.com/

They aren't. It's just that they seem more prominent because it's trendy to whine about them.
  • Tal'shiarTal'shiar Posts: 2,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Because MW2 was the highest selling piece of media in the history of media. Black Ops made a billion in the first month of sale.

Just like when WoW made it big after Burning Crusade, every game maker and his dog was doing a "Wow Killer" "mmorpg". Something else will come along, hopefully it wont be an FPS.
  • Jimmy_McNultyJimmy_McNulty Posts: 11,378
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Gun games are the most best selling and popular genre in gaming, from the days of Doom and Quake to Unreal Tournament to Counter Strike and Call of Duty and Team Fortress 2.
  • jenziejenzie Posts: 20,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    because people buy them?
  • biggebruvbiggebruv Posts: 6,626
    Forum Member
    Each year when all the big releases are announced it always seems Gun Games are ranked for months in the charts.

Having not watched a gaming TV programme since the days of gamesmaster I watched the Blurb and it just seemed every week its shoot shoot shoot games all the time. If they arent reviewing Modern Warfare its Call of Duty or some other similar game. All 18 rated games yet they are allowed to air it at 11am?

Why is this type of game dominating the charts for so long? I always seem to find them boring as essentially they do the same thing. Move a target around the screen and bang bang bang.

Back when I was younger there was plenty of decent games in the charts, Platformers & Action/Adventure games but it seems you dont seem to get that these days and if you do there is very few of them that never stay around in the charts because Spec Ops games are hogging the limelight.

Tomb raider
    The last of us
    Rayman origins
    Batman arkham asylum

These are all games that have been received very well i dunno what your talking about to be honest

As for them being boring and being the same thing over and over you could say that about them games back in the day aswell TBH you could say that about every game imo its how the game is made,layed out and paced thats what makes it standout

People love black ops theres noting wrong with that you can expect tv shows to focus on that because there obviously gonna talk about the biggest hits mainly but theres still great games being made that are not just all about the shooting imo
    Youtube is best to learn about games nowadays anyways
  • StrmChaserSteveStrmChaserSteve Posts: 2,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's not all guns.

Last evening was a blast, i checked in on sodapoppin's stream on twitch and caught the end of his 24 hour broadcast.

He picked an EU world of warcraft server, just asked everyone to create a level one gnome, and we all had to run to a target area

It was hellva funny, watch the video, my gnome was amongst the mass somewhere, but i came down the order, cause when i got off the tram from ironforge, my character did a 180 degree turn and went back through the portal, which wasted me loads of time

http://www.twitch.tv/sodapoppin/b/426737186

start watching from 45 minutes, that is when gnome invasion begins

warning - this guy can use strong langauge
  • SegaGamerSegaGamer Posts: 29,069
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't really get the hype in Shooting games, i find them very boring. The only shooting games i play are Halo games, and when i do play them i play them with my brothers and Dad. The only other Shooting game i have enjoyed is XIII.

The gaming community seems obsessed with them and i don't understand why.
  • HotelierHotelier Posts: 13,100
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm sick of linear shooters now....10-20 hours of the same game, dressed up differently, but all boiling down to the same thing..shoot waves of enemys...then repeat. and if you fail...shoot them all again because the checkpoint makes you. Tedious.

GIve me LONG , rpg/action, free roaming, instant save games like fallout 3, NV, Skyrim etc for combat based games.
  • LadyxxmacbethLadyxxmacbeth Posts: 1,868
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hotelier wrote: »
    I'm sick of linear shooters now....10-20 hours of the same game, dressed up differently, but all boiling down to the same thing..shoot waves of enemys...then repeat. and if you fail...shoot them all again because the checkpoint makes you. Tedious.

GIve me LONG , rpg/action, free roaming, instant save games like fallout 3, NV, Skyrim etc for combat based games.

I agree totally with everything you said. In fact I was going to start a Thread saying exactly this sort of thing. After watching the blurb this morning there were a few none shooting games on you guessed it the Nintendo.
    So this got me thinking that the Xbox is not very good at innovation in gaming. All the good games seem to be on the PS3...am I wrong? I am getting pretty bored of games with guns. I have thoroughly enjoyed fable 3 :D bit of killing but it's all for a good cause
  • mred2000mred2000 Posts: 10,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So this got me thinking that the Xbox is not very good at innovation in gaming. All the good games seem to be on the PS3...am I wrong?

After a period of 11 years of die hard console gaming (dreamcast, ps2, gamecube, xbox, 360, ps3 - in that order) and mainly using my PC just for work, I have to say that over the past 6 months I've gone back to PC gaming. Innovation is in the indies and it's on PC/Mac that they thrive, helped along by Steam.
  • ixHellstormxixHellstormx Posts: 2,192
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gamer's complained about COD modern warfare 3/Black Op's 2 for being more of the same boring old crap but still they sell in their millions each time a new game is launched and Ghosts will be no different. FPS are huge business and the developers/publishers know it. No matter how stale the franchise becomes, they will sell in their millions.
  • HotelierHotelier Posts: 13,100
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Gamer's complained about COD modern warfare 3/Black Op's 2 for being more of the same boring old crap but still they sell in their millions each time a new game is launched and Ghosts will be no different. FPS are huge business and the developers/publishers know it. No matter how stale the franchise becomes, they will sell in their millions.
    Justin Bieber sells millions, doesnt mean we have to like him.
  • Trsvis_BickleTrsvis_Bickle Posts: 9,202
    Forum Member
    Hotelier wrote: »

Yes, I never understood all the love for first person shooters and I feel the same way about them. It's a shame that the genre seems to have eclipsed all other combat games. I used to love the Conflict squad-based games where you could jump into any character, give orders, split the squad into fire teams, exchange weapons and ammo etc. Your squad mates in FPSs are just there to get shot.
  • LadyxxmacbethLadyxxmacbeth Posts: 1,868
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

COD does FPS the best though that's why it is so popular. when games try to emulate COD they fail. I enjoy playing COD immensly however I because I do play a lot of COD I don't want to play COD in every game I play. You can have too much of a good thing !