Katherine Jenkins

Comments

• BeethovensPianoBeethovensPiano Posts: 11,689
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Gulftastic wrote: »
    I hope someone makes it clear to the Americans that they don't get to keep her.

I think she may have other ideas.
  • IgnazioIgnazio Posts: 18,695
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    petertard wrote: »
    I think it's great that she can dance so well, and wish she had been on Strictly in the UK.

I will say about her though that she is not that great a singer as a mezzo. She does not compare to someone like Frederica von Stade, who did many opera roles and is the ideal as far as I am concerned for a mezzo.

But as an all-round package of talent, KJ is fabulous.
    Katherine has never promoted herself as an operatic singer and I'm in no doubt that she has neither the voice nor the experience to sustain an operatic role for 2 to 3 hours. She found success as a classical artist, singing some of the most popular arias from a wide variety of operas. In that field she's brought classical music to a much wider audience and for that I applaud her.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,830
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Katherine has done more to popularise classical music than anyone I can remember. If she had been a better singer, she would have been too busy singing opera to be in a position to popularise classical music.
  • edy10edy10 Posts: 18,399
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ignazio wrote: »
    Katherine has never promoted herself as an operatic singer and I'm in no doubt that she has neither the voice nor the experience to sustain an operatic role for 2 to 3 hours. She found success as a classical artist, singing some of the most popular arias from a wide variety of operas. In that field she's brought classical music to a much wider audience and for that I applaud her.

Well said and I totally agree ;):)
  • *Topaz**Topaz* Posts: 4,263
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

On her official website she's described as a 'mezzo-soprano' - and I've often heard her described as that in interviews as do some of her fans - now correct me if I'm wrong as I know very little about opera but isn't that something to do with opera singing?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mezzo-soprano describes the range of her voice, not whether she is an opera singer or not; though some opera singers are mezzo-sopranos, as they sing the roles within the range.
  • j4Rosej4Rose Posts: 5,482
    Forum Member
    *Topaz* wrote: »
    On her official website she's described as a 'mezzo-soprano' - and I've often heard her described as that in interviews as do some of her fans - now correct me if I'm wrong as I know very little about opera but isn't that something to do with opera singing?

It's just a voice range. Apparently Madonna and Rihanna are also Mezzos. Whitney was also one.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh ok thanks for the explanations :)

On her website it also describes her voice as 'remarkable' :rolleyes: wouldn't describe it as that myself but then I'm not a fan.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    She is a mezzo soprano - but not all mezzos sing opera. Indeed there are many singers who fit into the classifications of soprano, contralto, tenor. baritone and bass baritone who like Katherine sing in concert and record classical numbers, but have never appeared in an opera, Some have undertaken roles in musical theatre; e.g. Alfie Boe - tenor; Sarah Brightman - soprano and the wonderful bass baritone Paul Robeson. Others such as Russell Watson (tenor) Hayley Westenra (soprano) Charlotte Church (soprano) have followed the same path as Katherine; concerts and records. Amy Nuttall, a classically trained soprano, is best known for her role in Emmerdale. I hope this explains that the catorgarisation of the voice and the genre of music in which they perform are not one and the same points of discussion.

Would you be surprised to learn that Judy Garland was a contralto as is current pop favourite Adele; Mariah Carey is a soprano - Eva Cassidy was a soprano and you can add to that list Kate Bush. Believe it or not Michael Jackson was a tenor - though I prefer to offer the examples of Jeff Buckley, and Rufus Wainwright,

I could go on, but I'm sure you get my drift. Katherine Jenkins may not be an opera singer, but she is a classcal artist.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She is a mezzo soprano - but not all mezzos sing opera. Indeed there are many singers who fit into the classifications of soprano, contralto, tenor. baritone and bass baritone who like Katherine sing in concert and record classical numbers, but have never appeared in an opera, Some have undertaken roles in musical theatre; e.g. Alfie Boe - tenor; Sarah Brightman - soprano and the wonderful bass baritone Paul Robeson. Others such as Russell Watson (tenor) Hayley Westenra (soprano) Charlotte Church (soprano) have followed the same path as Katherine; concerts and records. Amy Nuttall, a classically trained soprano, is best known for her role in Emmerdale. I hope this explains that the catorgarisation of the voice and the genre of music in which they perform are not one and the same points of discussion.

Would you be surprised to learn that Judy Garland was a contralto as is current pop favourite Adele; Mariah Carey is a soprano - Eva Cassidy was a soprano and you can add to that list Kate Bush. Believe it or not Michael Jackson was a tenor - though I prefer to offer the examples of Jeff Buckley, and Rufus Wainwright,

I could go on, but I'm sure you get my drift. Katherine Jenkins may not be an opera singer, but she is a classcal artist.

Ahh thanks very much for the detailed explanation and clarification :) Her versions of opera pieces I can't really comment on because I don't know about opera but speaking of Jeff Buckley and Rufus Wainwright - I wasn't very keen on her version of 'Hallelujah' - I'm not saying she did a terrible version just found it meh but then Jeff Buckley's will always be the greatest version IMO.

I'm actually not minding her on DWTS now - I quite liked her rumba and I'm not finding her as annoying as I did at the start - I still can't get head over heals about her but then it would boring if we all liked the same people.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    She looked amazing in that rumba, the Greek goddess look. What a figure she has now.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ahh thanks very much for the detailed explanation and clarification :) Her versions of opera pieces I can't really comment on because I don't know about opera but speaking of Jeff Buckley and Rufus Wainwright - I wasn't very keen on her version of 'Hallelujah' - I'm not saying she did a terrible version just found it meh but then Jeff Buckley's will always be the greatest version IMO.

I'm actually not minding her on DWTS now - I quite liked her rumba and I'm not finding her as annoying as I did at the start - I still can't get head over heals about her but then it would boring if we all liked the same people.
    Agree absolutely - but then I prefer the classical Katherine to the crossover Katherine.
  • socialdancersocialdancer Posts: 150
    Forum Member
    To me, Katherine seems to have embraced the whole Hollywood look - always wearing scrubbing brushes on her eyes, even when training, over made-up, over tanned, and at this stage looking slightly desperate to make it in the US. Maybe that's what caused the breakup with Geithin, although I'm sure she would never admit it. I'm afraid I she doesn't come across as terribly sincere to me. One, just once, I would like to see Mark Ballas (and Derek Hough) given older, more substantial women to dance with, but maybe it's in their contracts that they don't.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Can she win the final ?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Can she win the final ?

I dont think so;). I want her to win but I dont think its going to happen.
    Freestyles determined some winners in the past at Dwts.
    Case in point Im pretty confident that Mark and Shawn freestyle in 2008 guaranteed her the win over Gilles Lackluster and uninspired one.
    I think that Mel B lost her season partly because of that freestyle
    So If Mark produces an amazing freestyle there is a chance that she could be runner-up or at least win it.:):)
    Im hoping for a miracle lol;I was convinced that she would be going home yesterday but thank God the public saw through the judges farce and put her in that final:)
  • StansfieldStansfield Posts: 6,097
    Forum Member
    Can she win the final ?
    She's got to the Final.......so, it is possible.:cool:

Hope so.
  • BuddyBontheNetBuddyBontheNet Posts: 28,162
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Hello you! {{{HUGS}}} Hope you are well. ;)

Well said about Katherine. I'm really happy she's made the final and would love to see her win, but I love watching Donald and William too, so I'll be a happy bunny no matter who wins.

My main concern is that Mark does something weird with the choreography and blows it for them - fingers crossed. He's up against Cheryl who has been in more DWTS finals than any other pro and Peta is an unknown really.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hello you! {{{HUGS}}} Hope you are well. ;)

Well said about Katherine. I'm really happy she's made the final and would love to see her win, but I love watching Donald and William too, so I'll be a happy bunny no matter who wins.

My main concern is that Mark does something weird with the choreography and blows it for them - fingers crossed. He's up against Cheryl who has been in more DWTS finals than any other pro and Peta is an unknown really.
    Hi Buddy - always good to 'see you.':)

I'm really wishing Katherine well - but whichever way it goes the American public are now aware of her, so I imagine for her it's almost job done.

Of course the title would be a huge bonus.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Was Katherine robbed ? Did she deserve to win ? Was she the best dancer ?
  • j4Rosej4Rose Posts: 5,482
    Forum Member
    I think Katherine was easily the best dancer, but the show is not just about dancing. In fact, it doesn't seem to be about dancing at all at times! Katherine should be very proud of herself, as she was hardly a big name before the show started. I'm sure she's very happy with second place :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Katherine was wonderfully talented but it was always a big ask for a Brit to take the American title.

Same applies to Americans here - but well done on your second place Katherine.
  • BuddyBontheNetBuddyBontheNet Posts: 28,162
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hi Buddy - always good to 'see you.':)

I'm really wishing Katherine well - but whichever way it goes the American public are now aware of her, so I imagine for her it's almost job done.

Of course the title would be a huge bonus.
    j4Rose wrote: »
    I think Katherine was easily the best dancer, but the show is not just about dancing. In fact, it doesn't seem to be about dancing at all at times! Katherine should be very proud of herself, as she was hardly a big name before the show started. I'm sure she's very happy with second place :)
    Katherine was wonderfully talented but it was always a big ask for a Brit to take the American title.

Same applies to Americans here - but well done on your second place Katherine.

I so agree. It would have been amazing if she had won and she did beat William when there was a good chance he would win.

I wish her well and am so pleased she did DWTS and not SCD.

PS *waves back* at Ignazio!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Was Katherine robbed ? Did she deserve to win ? Was she the best dancer ?

Sorry but the 'she woz robbed' comments by some of her fans on the forums are really pathetic! Even if she was the 'best dancer' - everyone should know by now that the public take into account many factors when voting - personality, progress, partnerships of the contestants - her 'talent' wouldn't even have guaranteed her a win in SCD as we all know the best dancer hasn't always won in that either!

She was a good dancer and better than Donald but I found her no where near as enjoyable to watch as him.

Instead of whinging her fans that are complaining should be grateful that as an unknown in America she was allowed to take part in their show - she'll get numerous opportunities because of it and a chance to break into the US market which it seems she wanted......I really don't think she's losing any sleep over being runner up ;)
  • JoLucJoLuc Posts: 1,727
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I much prefer K's dancing to singing.
    Thanks to K and all for making this series of DWTS so enjoyable. I love it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Good luck to her :):):). She is certainly talented and seems like a lovely person so I wish her all the best :):)