A Good Day To Die Hard Rated 12A By BBFC Uncut

Comments

• BlurayBluray Posts: 661
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've been chasing reviews online and it really isn't looking good.
    Several reviews stating that its a generic action script they squeezed into the Die Hard brand and it shows.
    Oh dear.
  • Nolan DeckardNolan Deckard Posts: 889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bluray wrote: »
    Several reviews stating that its a generic action script they squeezed into the Die Hard brand and it shows.

Which is ironic as this is the first screenplay actually written for Die Hard, rather than being adapted from elsewhere.

Just goes to show that Die Hard is more than a generic action screenplay, something this film failed to grasp from the start.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,129
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Die Hard is the daddy of the spider/fly film genre.

When I saw the 12A certificate on it today my heart sank and looking at the reviews on Rotten Tomatoes sank even further.

I think it's going to damage the series. Obviously, studios are going for the money by making it more accessible to everyone.

I hope they have learnt from Taken 2 that ripping the soul out of a film just destroys it.

I'll not be watching this Die Hard film.
  • Theo_BearTheo_Bear Posts: 997
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Loving most of the reviews on RT *snigger* :D

Hopefully this will be the end of Woods and Moore's respective careers.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Which is ironic as this is the first screenplay actually written for Die Hard, rather than being adapted from elsewhere.

Just goes to show that Die Hard is more than a generic action screenplay, something this film failed to grasp from the start.

Yes, that's basically correct.

Die Hard 1 and 2 were based on novels - Die Hard 1 essentially being the same exact story as the book with a few minor tweaks and from there the other 3 were woven around McClane.

Die Hard 3 and 4 were based on previous scripts which were turned into Die Hard scripts.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Theo_Bear wrote: »
    Loving most of the reviews on RT *snigger* :D.

Yes, this one made me SNORK!

"To paraphrase a classic of Reagan-era cinema, "A Good Day to Die Hard" is a bad day to stop sniffing glue."
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,488
    Forum Member
    alfster wrote: »
    I hope they have learnt from Taken 2 that ripping the soul out of a film just destroys it.

If they'd learnt from Taken 2, it wouldn't have been cut. The answer is that money talks and as long as the money comes in, which it will, they couldn't give a shit....
  • Theo_BearTheo_Bear Posts: 997
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've heard a rumour that due to poor word of mouth, Fox are already arranging special screenings at infant schools across the UK. Free milk and sugar free sweets available on entry.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If they'd learnt from Taken 2, it wouldn't have been cut. The answer is that money talks and as long as the money comes in, which it will, they couldn't give a shit....

Taken 2 made less than Taken 1.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,488
    Forum Member
    Taken 2 made less than Taken 1.
    Not entirely reliable, but Wikipedia begs to differ...$226,830,568 for the first $374,187,209 for the second
  • Dai13371Dai13371 Posts: 8,071
    Forum Member
    fhs man 2 wrote: »
    What is your opinion on Die Hard 4.0 ?

Watched it twice, still cant remember it.

Stll, after McTiernan's two and Harlin's , we had Luc Besson's Die Hard on a space liner to enjoy.....complete with vest and hair.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,772
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, that's basically correct.

Die Hard 1 and 2 were based on novels - Die Hard 1 essentially being the same exact story as the book with a few minor tweaks and from there the other 3 were woven around McClane.

Die Hard 3 and 4 were based on previous scripts which were turned into Die Hard scripts.

IIRC the working title for Die Hard 3 was - Lethal Weapon 4!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 411
    Forum Member
    Please people vote with your feet and don't pay money to see this s***, otherwise the studios will just keep churning out this generic 12A action rubbish.
  • mike65mike65 Posts: 11,386
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    John Moore is a total hack, the Ted Post of the 21st century

another RT review
    There is no denying that this is one Hollywood property that has run out of steam. It's not so much a good day to die hard, as it is a good day to retire this franchise
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not entirely reliable, but Wikipedia begs to differ...$226,830,568 for the first $374,187,209 for the second

On Rotten Tomatoes, in the US, 1 made more than 2..maybe people in the US have more taste than we thought!
  • logansdadlogansdad Posts: 1,068
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why did they make this a 12 cert? How many 12 year olds were pacing up and down wondering when the next installment of a 25 year old franchise was coming out?

Actually, just, why did they make this?
  • grimtales1grimtales1 Posts: 46,695
    Forum Member

Seriously? I never knew that :) Interesting....
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    grimtales1 wrote: »
    Seriously? I never knew that :) Interesting....

Yep it was on Den Of Geek a while ago.

It's the reason why McClane has a black sidekick in DH3.

The only doubt I have is whether the script was originally developed for LW4, but it's a fact it was at point at least, headed to messers Gibson and Glover.
  • DarksiderDarksider Posts: 292
    Forum Member
    Yep it was on Den Of Geek a while ago.

It's the reason why McClane has a black sidekick in DH3.

The only doubt I have is whether the script was originally developed for LW4, but it's a fact it was at point at least, headed to messers Gibson and Glover.

I think it was also, originally intended to be a sequel for Rapid Fire as well.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Darksider wrote: »
    I think it was also, originally intended to be a sequel for Rapid Fire as well.

yeah it looks like it was.

I've found the Den Of Geek article.

http://www.denofgeek.com/movies/die-hard/21313/the-strange-history-of-the-die-hard-movies
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,305
    Forum Member
    Just got back from watching it and i thought it was terrible, so bad that Die Hard 4.0 looks like a masterpiece by comparison, at least 4.0 still had a shred of the original Die Hard "feel" despite the toned down language/violence, this has none of that, it's basically a generic action film starring an uninterested looking Bruce Willis who appears to have developed superpowers that stop him from getting hurt (keep an eye out for the hilarious way he just walks away without a scratch after flipping a truck around 5 times, long gone are the days where he limped around Nakatomi Plaza with glass in his feet...). The story was nonsensical and uninteresting thanks to bad guys who make the villain in Die Hard 4.0 look fleshed out, the family storyline felt oddly forced due to Jai Courtney seemingly having zero chemistry with Bruce Willis, the action scenes were woefully directed (there's no sense of place, you see people shooting, but you never see where or what they seem to be shooting at, possibly due to the cuts to get a 12A restricting scenes of bullet impacts), the majority of the attempts at humour fall flat on their face and feel forced, and the dialogue! Oh! Don't get me started on how cringeworthy the dialogue is!

The cutting out of the F word from his catchphrase also seems really stupidly edited, at least in 4.0 there was a loud gunshot to obscure the word, here it just cuts away before he finishes saying it...

As a massive fan of the original trilogy this was absolutely horrible to watch. I doubt that even the uncut version could improve this. Avoid.

PS: Even in this butchered UK version, i still think it was too strong for a 12A. The F word should be used once or maybe twice in a 12A in my opinion, anything over that should be a 15.
  • darkjedimasterdarkjedimaster Posts: 18,621
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dbob wrote: »
    Please people vote with your feet and don't pay money to see this s***, otherwise the studios will just keep churning out this generic 12A action rubbish.

I won't be paying to see the butchered version that is for sure. Yippee Ki Yay 20th century f***s.

Piracy isn't killing Hollywood........Hollywood is killing Hollywood.
  • Nolan DeckardNolan Deckard Posts: 889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was excited to see this tonight, but once the 12A rating was announced I opted out, really glad I did looking at these reviews.

I REALLY want it to bomb, but it just wont. I know a load of people who are still really excited for it, even though is isn't even really a Die Hard film.
  • Ancient IDTVAncient IDTV Posts: 10,167
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I didn't like the last DH much, and I certainly won't be going to see this one. They need another Gruber villain.
  • Alvar HansoAlvar Hanso Posts: 2,542
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I read that I think somewhere along with both the unproduced commando 2 and something else from Joel silver, Richochet I think originally being other movies entirely at script stage or in the case of commando 2 unproduced script becoming another film altogether

and edit, having just read the article now see, it die hard