Four in a Bed :: New Series (Part 2)

Comments

• SolarSailSolarSail Posts: 7,678
    Forum Member
    tally wrote: »
    We did, with swingaleg remember, although I've been on DS for as long as I've had my laptop, I joined during the first Fame Academy.
    :D Oh lawd, that programme was a train wreck, one of the worst ever, with Soppy Anderton and Paul Danaan etc.
    But I cant remember a more hilarious forum, it had me shrieking with laughter at the wit of the posters. It was what made the programme. You had to watch it to appreciate the banter. Television Gold

Courtesy of BG - in time honoured fashion ... in no particular order
    http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showpost.php?p=64261630&postcount=332

Oh bless your bubbs - and oh yes, I remember well, happy days. Those were the days of reality TV. Trainwreck and totally umissable. How we laughed. I've never known the like, before or since.

Owl, cheers x
  • whatever54whatever54 Posts: 6,456
    Forum Member
    gilliedew wrote: »
    I also feel that pitting establishments that have staff with those who look after their own B&Bs is also unequal along with the other inequalities mentioned.

hmmm not sure as it depends on the size of establishment really. Some are really big with quality restaurants open to the public, some are pubs so would be tricky for the owners to do everything
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 268
    Forum Member
    SolarSail wrote: »
    I like my toast hot.
    And, although it was considered something really strange this week, I always ask if I could have hot milk with my coffee (and so does OH)
    Last hotel we stayed in, at the weekend they had a very strange breakfast procedure and you had to do your own toast from a buffet table...it was a total nightmare, with hoards of people wandering around. It didn't work out well, not least as they needed many more toasters for the amount of diners and because the toaster performance itself was dire.

In short, the idea doesn't always work well in practice.

I'm generally not in favour of having to leave the table to make toast and am happier with it being brought, so I completely understood Paul's viewpoint. It's all - or should be - part of the service. Also, as you say, you can end up with to many milling about the toast station. However, self toasting (sounds like a sunbed) can work well in large hotels where there's a separate area for morning goods, and toast is only part of the 'extras'.
  • gilliedewgilliedew Posts: 7,605
    Forum Member
    whatever54 wrote: »
    hmmm not sure as it depends on the size of establishment really. Some are really big with quality restaurants open to the public, some are pubs so would be tricky for the owners to do everything

Yes, I do agree but it seems in every programme there are larger premises judged against smaller ones. It would be fairer if small B&B were against each other and larger ones with staff judged against each other as well.
  • ewoodieewoodie Posts: 26,542
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm sure I read a conversation on here about Veronica possibly being Danish or similar. :confused: Maybe I dreamed it :D

Ahh yes, She's Sandi Toksvig's granny! :D:D:D
    Forum Member
    I'm sure I read a conversation on here about Veronica possibly being Danish or similar. :confused: Maybe I dreamed it :D

I did see a comment on here but had no idea where it came from or the basis. Was just looking on the Richwood website, they advertise Slovakian as a language spoken so that could be where the Bretslavian thing came from. The restaurant is called the 'Beiruit Bistro' hahaha genius, they're off their rockers them 2:D
    Forum Member
    Yes, I do agree but it seems in every programme there are larger premises judged against smaller ones. It would be fairer if small B&B were against each other and larger ones with staff judged against each other as well.

Oh yes I think like for like would be better but as Cherrybomber said they'd probably then be even more nitpicky and petty about things. Tricky, FIAB definitely brings out the worst in people and it's a shame as it reflects badly on them and their business in the end. Can't believe they don't bite their tongues more and just see it as a means to an end, free advert etc
  • CherrybomberCherrybomber Posts: 3,743
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I dont think size or staff are any more relevant. It seems that some people on here think this is about creating a level playing field for fairness.
    Its not, its primarily a TV show for enteratinment and its supposed to be based on VFM. Surely people can be objective about comparrisons between very different places.
    BUT they frequently are NOT and that's about game playing and point scoring. So no matter how you tried to engineer it people would still be mischeivious.

That brings you back to entertainment and maintaining interest. So I think thats why (in each weekly episode) they use very different properties, in different locations, varying in size, offering and staffing.
    ewoodie wrote: »

it's unusual for lesbianism to run in families :)
    Forum Member

Sandi T is very tiny, you know - and Veronica rather less so:)

The nationality issue keeps cropping up, but I wonder if V is German. One of the guests on TA said "To my surprise the female inkeeper did welcome me in fluent german." http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowUserReviews-g186259-d568535-r137813622-The_Richwood-Torquay_English_Riviera_Devon_England.html#REVIEWS

They have so many good reviews, but, sadly, the animosity towards any criticism, deflects from the positives.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 22,198
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SolarSail wrote: »
    Courtesy of BG - in time honoured fashion ... in no particular order
    http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showpost.php?p=64261630&postcount=332

:eek: Oh wow! Old Hall Inn looks seriously lovely. How do you compare that to a Blackpool B & B though that looks very welcoming :p but we haven't met the owners yet, so all could change.

I think I'd have to take weedkiller to Rutland Terrace. Beautiful place, I do love Georgian architecture, but their "tasteful décor" is a bit too much sprouting foliage for me. The bathroom looks like Day of The Triffids!
    Forum Member
    Oh yes I think like for like would be better but as Cherrybomber said they'd probably then be even more nitpicky and petty about things. Tricky, FIAB definitely brings out the worst in people and it's a shame as it reflects badly on them and their business in the end. Can't believe they don't bite their tongues more and just see it as a means to an end, free advert etc

It really must put people off going to these places when they see obvious game playing by the hosts involved.

I remember very well the programme where the headmistress from Ladette to Lady had a London B&B. She was an awful snob and her place wasnt as clean as she made out, yet she was dreadful to the other places, one near to where I live which was lovely. She also had a picture on her wall that I have got as well and I was miffed that she had it when she was so awful.

I wouldnt stay in her place if it was the only place left, so hopefully she got the wrong sort of publicity.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,880
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I notice at Old Hall Inn the breakfasts have to be ordered the night before, no doubt this won't go down well with some of the guests. Gorgeous looking place.

I like Rutland Terrace too, I also love Georgian architecture.
    Forum Member
    [QUOTE=whatever54;64277252The restaurant is called the 'Beiruit Bistro' hahaha genius, they're off their rockers them 2:D[/QUOTE]

Beirut is the capital of Lebanon and Saida is a Lebanese name, so I assumed the restaurant's name was a reflection of both Saida's homeland, and Middle Eastern food. Delicious stuff!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tally wrote: »
    :eek: Oh wow! Old Hall Inn looks seriously lovely. How do you compare that to a Blackpool B & B though that looks very welcoming :p but we haven't met the owners yet, so all could change.

I think I'd have to take weedkiller to Rutland Terrace. Beautiful place, I do love Georgian architecture, but their "tasteful décor" is a bit too much sprouting foliage for me. The bathroom looks like Day of The Triffids!

Old Hall Inn has the disadvantage of being in Derbyshire :D

The thing is they dont have to compare each hotel against the other, they should be judging each individually on its merits with VFM as the measuring stick.

The Rutland place has taken a terrible photo of breakfast with white gunk on the bacon and fried eggs that havent had the tops cooked :(
  • matchmakermatchmaker Posts: 1,096
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wish I could find a cleaner for £6.20 an hour. Mine charges a tenner an hour.

Most directly employed cleaners are on minimum wage
  • ewoodieewoodie Posts: 26,542
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I dont think size or staff are any more relevant. It seems that some people on here think this is about creating a level playing field for fairness.
    Its not, its primarily a TV show for enteratinment and its supposed to be based on VFM. Surely people can be objective about comparrisons between very different places.
    BUT they frequently are NOT and that's about game playing and point scoring. So no matter how you tried to engineer it people would still be mischeivious.

That brings you back to entertainment and maintaining interest. So I think thats why (in each weekly episode) they use very different properties, in different locations, varying in size, offering and staffing.

it's unusual for lesbianism to run in families :)

You're naughty! :D She was the only Danish person I could think of! But now you mention it, It's rather funny!
    Forum Member
    It really must put people off going to these places when they see obvious game playing by the hosts involved.

I remember very well the programme where the headmistress from Ladette to Lady had a London B&B. She was an awful snob and her place wasnt as clean as she made out, yet she was dreadful to the other places, one near to where I live which was lovely. She also had a picture on her wall that I have got as well and I was miffed that she had it when she was so awful.

I wouldnt stay in her place if it was the only place left, so hopefully she got the wrong sort of publicity.

:D at BIB
    Didn't see that, wasn't Rosemary Shergar was it?
    Yep if they behave like twits then they deserve the negative reactions from the public
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bellamy wrote: »
    Beirut is the capital of Lebanon and Saida is a Lebanese name, so I assumed the restaurant's name was a reflection of both Saida's homeland, and Middle Eastern food. Delicious stuff!

Yes I think we all know, but Beirut is commonly used as an example of an uninviting war torn place. If one is describing a violent or chaotic scene one might say "it looked like Beirut". So calling a restaurant that seems risky.
    The Lebanese Lounge might be better, or Big Berthas Bath House! :D
    No? ok just a thought :o :cool:
    Forum Member
    :D at BIB
    Didn't see that, wasn't Rosemary Shergar was it?
    Yep if they behave like twits then they deserve the negative reactions from the public

Ha ha:D Rosemary Shergar

No, I looked her up and it was Jean Broke- Smith or how I hope it is now Jean Gone Broke- Smith, she really was a top snob.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You're naughty! :D She was the only Danish person I could think of! But now you mention it, It's rather funny!

I am naughty and I have been naughtier, so because of that I will send myself to bed. :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13,448
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm generally not in favour of having to leave the table to make toast and am happier with it being brought, so I completely understood Paul's viewpoint. It's all - or should be - part of the service. Also, as you say, you can end up with to many milling about the toast station. However, self toasting (sounds like a sunbed) can work well in large hotels where there's a separate area for morning goods, and toast is only part of the 'extras'.

I stay in Premier Inn's a lot and you have to put your own toast through the grill and it goes on a moving rack and pops out the other end about a minute later. It never ceases to amaze me who many guests put their toast in and then take the one that pops out seconds later while the person it belongs to is making their tea!

I sometimes really believe that they think the cooked one is theirs - the one they put in!
    Forum Member

Oh I'm sure that is the reason but it's just unfortunate that in Britain a common saying is 'it was like Beiruit' and this is not normally meant as a compliment;)
    the food looked lovely but the restaurant name to me is like calling an Iraqi one Saddams:eek:
    Forum Member
    Yes I think we all know, but Beirut is commonly used as an example of an uninviting war torn place. If one is describing a violent or chaotic scene one might say "it looked like Beirut". So calling a restaurant that seems risky.

There are plenty of other restaurants called Beirut in this country. It might seem a bad choice to us, but sentimtality often comes into it, or a different perspective. During the height of the troubles in Belfast, many who lived there would stress the beauty of the city, rather than the daily battles and death tolls. The Lebanese Lounge is a possibility but sounds a bit nightclubbish for V & S.;)
    Forum Member
    amysmum wrote: »
    I stay in Premier Inn's a lot and you have to put your own toast through the grill and it goes on a moving rack and pops out the other end about a minute later. It never ceases to amaze me who many guests put their toast in and then take the one that pops out seconds later while the person it belongs to is making their tea!

I sometimes really believe that they think the cooked one is theirs - the one they put in!

Good fun for the spectators:D
    Forum Member

:D:D I like it and still sounds better than Beirut Bistro IMO
This discussion has been closed.