The Smiths

kingofscotlandkingofscotland Posts: 619
Forum Member
✭✭
Lee Mack and Catherine Tate are to appear in a British remake of hit US sitcom 'Everybody Loves Raymond' called 'The Smiths'.

The BBC One pilot, written by Mack, will be recorded in front of a live audience on 28 May.

Full Story

Comments

• degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    They could have put more thought into the name.

I don't watch the show but my dad does so i've seen bits and pieces when i'm there.
    I can't see a UK version working.
  • CELT1987CELT1987 Posts: 12,355
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Remakes never work.
  • pete137pete137 Posts: 18,375
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sounds dire. Will be diire.

Why ?
  • Steve9214Steve9214 Posts: 8,402
    Forum Member
    Depends how it is done

ITV remade US sitcoms in the '90's mostly by just taking the whole script and fiming that played by British Actors - so it did not work.

The Upper Hand (IIRC) was originally rewrites of the American "Who's the Boss" sitcom, but actually had new plots and storylines as the series progressed.

If they just take the character outlines and write a new comedy based on that, than it will be good.
    But if they keep Debra as a bitch, then it won't work.

All in the Family/ Archie Bunker in the USA was based on 'Til Death us do Part, but was a new show - just the same original character outlines that Johnny Speight created, that ran for years and had many spinoffs.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 93
    Forum Member
    Let's see... a British remake of an 18 year old show that's still on our screens daily on Channel 4.

BBC's logic for commissioning this is failing me...
  • GulftasticGulftastic Posts: 127,335
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Can't stand 'Everybody Loves Raymond' or Catherine Tate, but I like Lee Mack.

2-1 defeat.
  • Metal MickeyMetal Mickey Posts: 1,606
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Me too, but mostly because it's such a generic premise - ordinary couple with kids, a funny big brother, and in-laws living across the street - it's hardly high-concept, is it?

That makes me think they'll have basically bought the scripts wholesale and will be just doing a quick British-isation, and use it as a regular space-filler if it does well... and they have over 200 scripts to choose from, too!
  • pburke90pburke90 Posts: 14,756
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Everybody Loves Raymond, but not everybody loves Lee Mack. He seems to have the same character/image in every TV show I have seen him in, whether it's a scripted sitcom or if he is presenting / appearing as a guest, so I can't see this working.

Also, what an absolutely terrible name for it.
  • PunksNotDeadPunksNotDead Posts: 21,233
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shame, i thought Morrissey & Marr were reforming!
  • trevgotrevgo Posts: 28,241
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Let's see... a British remake of an 18 year old show that's still on our screens daily on Channel 4.

The logic is that the BBC is completely bereft of comedy talent and is incapable of producing anything worthwhile of their own.

Very sad state of affairs.
  • JamieHTJamieHT Posts: 12,205
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wasn't Catherine Tate in the pilot of Not Going Out??
  • OpEdOpEd Posts: 579
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Fcuk. What a bad joke. Both of those two need to be shaken. How completely unimaginative can you possibly be? Redo a show that has a nothing premise?

Somebody get Lee Mack a vehicle, FFS!
  • trevgotrevgo Posts: 28,241
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    OpEd wrote: »
    Somebody get Lee Mack a vehicle, FFS!

Preferable with one forward gear, no reverse, no brakes and heading in the opposite direction to any camera and/or microphone.
    Forum Member
    Paddy C wrote: »
    Everybody Loves Raymond, but not everybody loves Lee Mack. He seems to have the same character/image in every TV show I have seen him in, whether it's a scripted sitcom or if he is presenting / appearing as a guest, so I can't see this working.

Also, what an absolutely terrible name for it.
    I agree. I don't mind him as a stand up or on WILTY or as a guest host/panelist. His sitcom seems to be in the US tradition of a joke every sentence which should suit him as he is basically a one liner comedian.
    I haven't seen much of his sitcom but I wouldn't say it stretched his acting abilities.
  • XIVXIV Posts: 21,541
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It could work but they need to change the title, ELR had a great cast and i think that will be needed for the remake,
  • I, CandyI, Candy Posts: 3,710
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shame, i thought Morrissey & Marr were reforming!

Most people over the age of 35 are going to think of the band when they hear The Smiths. What an unbelievably crass choice of name for this programme.
  • OpEdOpEd Posts: 579
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Paddy C wrote: »
    ...Lee Mack. He seems to have the same character/image in every TV show I have seen him in...
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    I agree.

Well he does a strange character on "Anna & Katy" (in strange ~running skit, based on some oh-arent-the-continentals-strange? set in a hospital).

He's pretty good with it, though it's hardly "deep".
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    I don't mind him as a stand up or on WILTY or as a guest host/panelist. His sitcom seems to be in the US tradition of a joke every sentence which should suit him as he is basically a one liner comedian.

I haven't seen much of his sitcom...

It's okay (and just barely so, as it goes on). But as with the show this threadbrings to our attention, the "idea"/"sit(uation)" is uninspired, and so it's a waste of his talent, I think.

I like him. I like his stand up. He is great on WILTY.

But this sitcom mediocrity is really disappointing!
  • MicrokorgMicrokorg Posts: 2,670
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gulftastic wrote: »
    Can't stand 'Everybody Loves Raymond' or Catherine Tate, but I like Lee Mack.

2-1 defeat.
    Ditto
    Forum Member
    OpEd wrote: »
    Well he does a strange character on "Anna & Katy" (in strange ~running skit, based on some oh-arent-the-continentals-strange? set in a hospital).

He's pretty good with it, though it's hardly "deep".
    I gave up on that show so haven't seen that sketch. I did see the German Countdown one which he appeared in but I think comparing acting in a sitcom to appearing as a cameo in a surreal sketch show is stretching it a little.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,405
    Forum Member
    I, Candy wrote: »
    Most people over the age of 35 are going to think of the band when they hear The Smiths. What an unbelievably crass choice of name for this programme.

I'm 21 and immediately thought that i'd missed a documentary about the band when I saw the thread title.
  • Clank007Clank007 Posts: 2,799
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Everybody Loves Raymond is one of my favourite shows - the actors and comedy are ceaselessy brilliant.
    To have the likes of a desperately wooden Lee Mack and an over the top Catherine Tate reprising the roles of Ray Romano and Patricia Heaton is mis casting at it's very worst.

I wont watch this garbage when it airs - typical of the comedy writers in the country to have no original thinking
  • ScoundreldaysScoundreldays Posts: 1,373
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I, Candy wrote: »

I confess I'm 39 & thought this was going to be a doc about the band.

Shall leave this thread now as no further interest.:o
  • moonlilymoonlily Posts: 7,888
    Forum Member
    Clank007 wrote: »
    Everybody Loves Raymond is one of my favourite shows - the actors and comedy are ceaselessy brilliant.
    To have the likes of a desperately wooden Lee Mack and an over the top Catherine Tate reprising the roles of Ray Romano and Patricia Heaton is mis casting at it's very worst.

I wont watch this garbage when it airs - typical of the comedy writers in the country to have no original thinking
    It will be interesting to see who plays Marie and Robbie- but I can't stand Catherine Tate so I won't be watching either.