Comments

• chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Panasonic is not a DVD recorder. it is a Freeview PVR, ie it records to hard disk only.
  • cmorriscmorris Posts: 6,157
    Forum Member
    Is the LG one allow yo to record onto HDD then transfer to DVD?
    Forum Member
    In your opinion which one should I get?
  • mac2708mac2708 Posts: 3,349
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you want to transfer/archive recordings made to the hard drive to DVD then the obvious (IMHO) least-fuss choice is the LG.
    This is not a recommendation but an attempt to answer your question about choice between the two items
    Read the comments on the trustedreviews site carefully.
  • evil cevil c Posts: 7,833
    Forum Member
    Is transferring from HDD to DVD a must have?
    Forum Member
    Well the planner fills up a lot so we want something to transfer to HDD to free less space then any films we can burn to DVD
  • evil cevil c Posts: 7,833
    Forum Member
    I don't understand your last answer. Which? haven't tested the 497H but they have tested the 498H and both machines are the same spec except the 497H has a smaller HDD (160GB or 129 hours compared to 250GB). Both models date back to 2009 and bear in mind that this machine only has an SD digital tuner. It cannot record HD Freeview and it will not show Full HD content in its native resolution. This is what they say about the 498H:

'The DVD recorder can be used for recording programmes onto DVD-R/-RW, DVD+R/+RW or DVD-Ram discs, including DVD+R dual-layer discs. This recorder has only a single digital tuner, which means you can't watch one programme and record another unless you also own a digital TV with its own tuner.

You can start watching a recorded programme before it's finished recording, which means you can deliberately set a programme to record, start watching it a few minutes after it has started and 'chase play', skipping over ad breaks as you 'catch up' with the live broadcast. This is very useful if your programme is on a commercial channel and you find the ads irritating.

Our viewing and listening experts were generally impressed with this model's picture and sound quality. Digital subtitles can be recorded and turned on/off as required, but people with a visual impairment will disappointed that there's no audio description, which provides an additional narrative track explaining what's happening on the picture in greater detail.

There's an HDMI output for connecting to an HD-ready TV, but the 'upscaled' picture (not true high definition) isn't an improvement over the conventional picture. There's also a USB input for transferring files from USB drives - MP3, wma, jpeg and DivX formats are all supported.

It's not a particularly easy recorder to use. The poorly presented instructions lack detail and useful diagrams and it's hard to find required sections. The remote control has some small buttons and some functions aren't obvious. Also the EPG is hard to read at times.

Pros: Good picture and sound.
    Cons: Not easy to use, poor instructions, no audio description, can't record radio programmes, single-tuner PVR functionality less versatile than dedicated twin-tuner PVR.'
    Forum Member
    What about Panasonic DVD HDD Recorder for £100
  • Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,329
    Forum Member
    cmorris wrote: »

It's a PVR, so can record ONLY from it's internal Freeview tuner, you can't transfer recording to it from elsewhere.
    Forum Member
    So panasonic PVR's are limited. I though you could record from sky onto HDD and copy to DVD
  • David (2)David (2) Posts: 20,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    you can copy from a Sky box to external dvd recorder, but only in SD quality, not HD content (in any case blank dvds wouldnt hold much hd content). You are also limited to doing the transfer with scart.

things have been made a lot more locked in since the advent of broadcast HD, to the point where its not really done very much any more.
    Forum Member
    So what your saying is there is no point and stick with your scart DVD
  • andys cornerandys corner Posts: 1,664
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    David (2) wrote: »
    you can copy from a Sky box to external dvd recorder, but only in SD quality, not HD content (in any case blank dvds wouldnt hold much hd content). You are also limited to doing the transfer with scart.

things have been made a lot more locked in since the advent of broadcast HD, to the point where its not really done very much any more.

i used to do that, never had hd and the tv i had at the time was a philips, it claimed to have hd but the hd element was so watered down i wouldnt call it hd.

i used to buy discs from aldi at 25 a time, a 4.7gb disc would house either 1 or 2 films, i tried to maximise the amount a disc would hold, wasnt great
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you mean the device you linked to in post 2 then that is NOT a DVD recorder. So no use for what you want to do.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So panasonic PVR's are limited. I though you could record from sky onto HDD and copy to DVD
    All PVRs are limited in the same way. None of them can record from external sources. They don't have the necessary electronics on board to permit this as they don't need them.

A DVD recorder on the other hand does contain the necessary electronics to allow it to record from external sources.
  • Sideburns57Sideburns57 Posts: 2,060
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

You can - I do. If my Panasonic qualifies as a PVR that is! But I am loathe to disagree with Chrisjr - he is A and me Z on the knowledge front!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    .........this one

Panasonic DMR-BWT720EB Freeview+HD Blu-Ray Disc Recorder, with 1Tb HDD & Twin HD Terrestrial Tuner

.........which says it is a Recorder.........

Bloody good machine though.
  • Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,329
    Forum Member
    .........this one

Panasonic DMR-BWT720EB Freeview+HD Blu-Ray Disc Recorder, with 1Tb HDD & Twin HD Terrestrial Tuner

.........which says it is a Recorder.........

Bloody good machine though.

That's a 'DVD' recorder (actually BD recorder as well), not just a PVR.

Anything that contains a DVD/BD recorder 'should' accept analogue inputs, because you can't simply record the direct digital signal as a PVR does.
  • AidanLunnAidanLunn Posts: 5,320
    Forum Member

Any PVR is limited.

Panasonic DVD Recorders, even ones with HDDs built in can record from almost any source.

The Panasonic device you linked to above is not one of those, it is a PVR only.
  • nomad2kingnomad2king Posts: 8,415
    Forum Member
    According to the online version of the manual.
    page 68
    Recording from external equipment
    page 69
    Linked timer recording (SKY Digital STB, etc.)–EXT LINK
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You can - I do. If my Panasonic qualifies as a PVR that is! But I am loathe to disagree with Chrisjr - he is A and me Z on the knowledge front!
    I no nufink me :D

A PVR by convention is a device that records from it's tuner(s) to hard drive only. It has no optical disk drive. Technically there is no reason why a PVR could not record from SCART to the hard drive also. Which would permit it to record from an external Sky box or whatever.

However to do so requires circuits to convert analogue audio and video to digital and encode it in the MPEG format. A PVR does not need this for it's primary role so they tend not to include these circuits.

DVD recorders need an MPEG encoder stage to at least recode the TV stream to a format compatible with DVD video. Plus they were around years ago with purely analogue tuners so a digital converter would have been essential. Not hard to see that the digital converter would hang around into the Freeview age (it isn't strictly necessary any more for recording just telly programmes).
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    chrisjr wrote: »
    I no nufink me :D

A PVR by convention is a device that records from it's tuner(s) to hard drive only. It has no optical disk drive. Technically there is no reason why a PVR could not record from SCART to the hard drive also. Which would permit it to record from an external Sky box or whatever.

However to do so requires circuits to convert analogue audio and video to digital and encode it in the MPEG format. A PVR does not need this for it's primary role so they tend not to include these circuits.

DVD recorders need an MPEG encoder stage to at least recode the TV stream to a format compatible with DVD video. Plus they were around years ago with purely analogue tuners so a digital converter would have been essential. Not hard to see that the digital converter would hang around into the Freeview age (it isn't strictly necessary any more for recording just telly programmes).

Thanks. Last time I take you on!