Doctor Who: The Bell's Of St John Prequel

FIFA1966FIFA1966 Posts: 1,101
Forum Member
✭✭✭
As the title says, there's going to be a prequel this coming week, I have no idea the day it's going to be shown, can anyone tell me what day is the prequel released?

Comments

• The GathererThe Gatherer Posts: 2,723
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Whatever it is they are releasing this week it isn't a prequel! The Bells of St John hasn't been aired yet.
  • CD93CD93 Posts: 13,939
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's on Saturday.
  • nebogipfelnebogipfel Posts: 8,375
    Forum Member
    Whatever it is they are releasing this week it isn't a prequel! The Bells of St John hasn't been aired yet.

It's a prologue. But for some reason the BBC keep calling them prequels. So forum members can call them prequels simply because this is what the BBC for whatever reason choose to call them.

I did write to my MP to get him to urge the government to shut down the BBC unless they start calling them prologues. He hasn't thus far responded.
  • Granny McSmithGranny McSmith Posts: 19,622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    nebogipfel wrote: »
    It's a prologue. But for some reason the BBC keep calling them prequels. So forum members can call them prequels simply because this is what the BBC for whatever reason choose to call them.

I did write to my MP to get him to urge the government to shut down the BBC unless they start calling them prologues. He hasn't thus far responded.

It's outrageous, and I am, therefore, outraged.:mad:

I'd write to POV, but of course they will ignore my letter....again. :mad::mad:

A campaign in the Daily Mail is called for, I think.;)
  • The GathererThe Gatherer Posts: 2,723
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Re nebo and Granny's posts - humorous I know, but there is a serious element behind the humour. The BBC should be maintaining standards, not dumbing down to the extent that they use a completely wrong word to describe something.
    Forum Member
    Re nebo and Granny's posts - humorous I know, but there is a serious element behind the humour. The BBC should be maintaining standards, not dumbing down to the extent that they use a completely wrong word to describe something.

I agree. I posted ages ago of my annoyance at the BBC using the wrong word when the appropriate word was within easy reach. Prologue and prequel are different things so it is a shame the BBC are blurring them into one. We lose a word. But I poked fun at my own annoyance.

Perhaps I shall write to Feedback on radio four about misuse of "prequel". Whereas I didn't actually write to my MP.
  • Granny McSmithGranny McSmith Posts: 19,622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Yes, my post was supposed to be funny, but I do actually seriously agree with you. I really do hate the way the English is treated so sloppily in general, and it shouldn't ever happen in the BBC.
  • AirboraeAirborae Posts: 2,644
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I didn't even know there was going to be a prequel/prologue/intoductory bit!
  • GDKGDK Posts: 9,467
    Forum Member
    I agree with above.

I would hazard a guess some marketing bod decided "prologue" was too bookish and therefore not a good fit with the target demographic, so we have "prequel" instead. :(
    Forum Member
    GDK wrote: »
    I agree with above.

I would hazard a guess some marketing bod decided "prologue" was too bookish and therefore not a good fit with the target demographic, so we have "prequel" instead. :(

Yep. Or the marketing bod doesn't know many words and assumes neither does anyone else. Or has the patronising assumption that people will run to the hills if a word they don't know is ever used. Patronising gits. I had a fairly feeble education. Thank heavens that the BBC didn't patronise me by assuming I wouldn't want to hear unfamiliar words.

Also - patronising gits! "too bookish"! A whole generation of kids have enjoyed reading their Harry Potters and His Dark Materials and Jump In Muddy Puddles! Kids like books. Too bookish? Pah! If I had ever had the required education and brains to use it I'd say something clever about it.

edit: One final point. Doctor Who started with the intention of having an educational aspect. Educating the population is a rather lovely ideal. It enhances democracy and gives us tools with which to fight injustice. The Doctor would tend to support the BBC helping everyone to have an elite standard of verbal usage. So....er...."prologue" then. *gets off soap box*
  • johnnysaucepnjohnnysaucepn Posts: 6,775
    Forum Member
    If a second production is filmed after the original, then technically, could it not be considered a prequel? Or is it the broadcast order that matters?
  • GDKGDK Posts: 9,467
    Forum Member
    Traditional prequels are separate, complete productions made some time after the original, but the story events occur before the events in the original. As a consequence, the release is always after the original too.

So, to me, the key things are that sequels are made after, the story is a full story and it occurs before the original.

The Doctor Who "prequels" fit more closely "prologue", as they serve to lead in to the main story.

Are they made separately afterwards? Or are they shot as part of the main shoot? Either way I think prologue fits better.

I didn't see some of the prequels to earlier stories until after seeing the episodes themselves - I didn't know they existed until later - but they still seem like prologues to me.
  • Muttley76Muttley76 Posts: 97,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Prequel isn't the correct term, of course, but I don't really care what they label 'em as long as they keep making 'em....:D
  • sheffieldersheffielder Posts: 953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ok, the "prequel" or whatever is on the BBC site now... pretty obvious who the other character was going to turn out to be, but still quite enjoyable, now we just need to wait another 7 days...!
  • pickwickpickwick Posts: 25,739
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh, I'll moan in this relevant thread, rather than the pinned one!:

Moffat really does seem to have four (good) ideas that he just constantly recycles, doesn't he? Meeting the new super-special companion who there is a Mystery about, when she's still a child...where have we seen this before? Even the bloomin' swing.
  • CD93CD93 Posts: 13,939
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    One small clip seemingly blows so many fan theories out of the water. She was even wearing red on a red swing set :p

Love it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That was so cute :)

pickwick wrote: »

Moffat really does seem to have four (good) ideas that he just constantly recycles, doesn't he? Meeting the new super-special companion who there is a Mystery about, when she's still a child...where have we seen this before? Even the bloomin' swing.

With all due respect, this isn't Clara's story. It's a two minute little extra that really has no bearing on her story in the series itself.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Muttley76 wrote: »
    With all due respect, this isn't Clara's story. It's a two minute little extra that really has no bearing on her story in the series itself.
    I'm not sure what that has to do with what I said, really.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not sure what that has to do with what I said, really.

I would have thought it was pretty obvious. :confused:

Your post comes from a position of Clara's story being exactly the same as Amy's based on one two minute clip.

My point is that just because we have had a little extra scene with Clara with The Doctor as a child,this scene ultimately has no bearing on how her story will play out in the show proper.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Muttley76 wrote: »
    I would have thought it was pretty obvious. :confused:

Your post comes from a position of Clara's story being exactly the same as Amy's based on one two minute clip.

My point is that just because we have had a little extra scene with Clara with The Doctor as a child,this scene ultimately has no bearing on how her story will play out in the show proper.
    Ah, that'd be the confusion - you're assuming I hold a position I don't. My point is that *purely in this little extra scene*, everything we saw has been done before by Moffat. I didn't say anything about Clara's ongoing storyline - it's similar to Amy's so far in terms of "she's special because there's a big mystery about her that the Doctor has to solve", but that's all I can really say.
  • sandydunesandydune Posts: 10,986
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The little girl in the clip is called Clara Oswald but will the older Clara that will meet the Doctor again, someone that uses her name. Is Clara her real name or is it something else?:confused:
  • Shawn_LunnShawn_Lunn Posts: 9,353
    Forum Member
    I liked it myself.

Bring on next Saturday already.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    sandydune wrote: »
    The little girl in the clip is called Clara Oswald but will the older Clara that will meet the Doctor again, someone that uses her name. Is Clara her real name or is it something else?:confused:

I don't know, but the girl had a northern accent (rather than a London one), and bore very little resemblance to a young Jenna.

I wasn't going to comment on it, as they are the ramblings of a pedant, but your post ties into it a bit. :p
  • C. SamuraiC. Samurai Posts: 362
    Forum Member

Oh shut up. Everything old is new again.
  • laurieloulaurielou Posts: 1,454
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Well, I for one agree with you. So there.