The Riddle of the Sands (1978)

ironjadeironjade Posts: 10,002
Forum Member
✭✭
On C4 a few days ago, this is a great movie of a type they really don't make any more.
Two amateur sailors uncover a dastardly plot to invade Britain in 1901 via the undefended North Sea coast.
Stiff upper lips all round from Michael York and Simon McCorkindale plus a cameo by Kaiser Bill and some spiky-hatted German troops.
Good fun and more exciting than the messing-about-on-boats setting would lead you to believe.
Also Jenny Agutter with her clothes on.:)

Comments

• Trsvis_BickleTrsvis_Bickle Posts: 9,202
    Forum Member
    It's based on quite a well-known novel by Erskine Childers, who led an extraordinary life before being executed by the Irish for possessing a pistol. I've tried to read it but couldn't finish it - surprisingly boring. The film sounds better.
  • ironjadeironjade Posts: 10,002
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Childers certainly led an incident-packed life, mainly in the terryingly complex world of Anglo-Irish politics. His son eventually became the Irish President.
    The book seems to be in the public domain so I'll put it on my Kindle and give it a go.
  • farmer bobfarmer bob Posts: 27,595
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Watched this last week, enjoyable fare and a little unusual too. Sadly both lead actors are now dead I believe.
  • intruder2kintruder2k Posts: 318
    Forum Member
    farmer bob wrote: »
    Watched this last week, enjoyable fare and a little unusual too. Sadly both lead actors are now dead I believe.

Don't think Michael York is in the grave just yet! :eek:
  • VerenceVerence Posts: 104,584
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    The town of Lowestoft, mentioned in the dinner table chat on the German bloke's boat is only 3 miles down the road from me
  • farmer bobfarmer bob Posts: 27,595
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    intruder2k wrote: »
    Don't think Michael York is in the grave just yet! :eek:

For some reason, was thinking of Susannah York. Apologies. (@)(@)