Phil Spector - Sky Atlantic Sat 29th June.

anyonefortennisanyonefortennis Posts: 111,858
Forum Member
✭✭✭✭
Did anyone else watch this drama last night charting the trial of Phil Spector for the murder of actress Lana Clarkson? I was quite disappointed. Al Pacino looked just like Spector but he just sounded like Al Pacino playing dress up with funny wigs.

Helen Mirren wasn't that impressive either. Her American accent was a bit dodgy and it inhibited her performance a lot. I was expecting a lot more from the script written by David Mamet, but it felt completely flat to me.

Comments

• LMLM Posts: 63,327
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You pretty much summed up how i felt about it. I watched it the day after it aired in the US and I couldn't take the performances seriously at all. The script could of been better as well
  • anyonefortennisanyonefortennis Posts: 111,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I didn't even know it was on last night, I just accidentally stumbled upon it after channel flicking last night. I was wondering why it wasn't advertised very well with an amazing cast like Pacino and Mirren. Now, after watching it last night, I know why.
  • Dilly DaydreamDilly Daydream Posts: 6,076
    Forum Member
    I Sky+'d it - from the comments on here, not really worth a look then?

I did see it advertised several times and thought it looked quite good.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I Sky+'d it - from the comments on here, not really worth a look then?

I did see it advertised several times and thought it looked quite good.

It's not that good at all really. Pretty dire script.
  • georgeshairgeorgeshair Posts: 1,443
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It ended very abruptly and at a weird point - just kind of fizzled out into nothing. If the script had been tighter, it might have been possible to fit in more of the story.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    It ended very abruptly and at a weird point - just kind of fizzled out into nothing. If the script had been tighter, it might have been possible to fit in more of the story.

They didn't even cover the actual trial which was even more bizarre. Maybe for legal reasons they couldn't.
  • LMLM Posts: 63,327
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just found out Bette Midler was meant to do Helen's role, but dropped out while filming when she hurt her back and had to be carried off set.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Just found out Bette Midler was meant to do Helen's role, but dropped out while filming when she hurt her back and had to be carried off set.

She was probably reading the script. :D
  • Tom2023Tom2023 Posts: 2,059
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A drama about an aging comically bewigged celebrity nutjob with a gun fetish, how could that not be interesting?

Oh, David Mamet wrote & directed it.
  • postitpostit Posts: 23,839
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tom2023 wrote: »
    A drama about an aging comically bewigged celebrity nutjob with a gun fetish, how could that not be interesting?

Oh, David Mamet wrote & directed it.

And yet, they managed it :confused: I'm not a fan of Mirren but a huge fan of Pacino. Thoroughly disappointed with this programme.