Richard Wilson "Comes Out"

Comments

• Vodka_DrinkaVodka_Drinka Posts: 28,740
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dorydaryl wrote: »
    Saw some episodes of OFITG over the weekend (UK Gold) and was surprised at just how long ago they were filmed (early 1990s). He's held his age and looks well-preserved considering he was supposed to be playing a bit of a fogey back then! Loved Annette Crosbie, too. I remember her playing the fairy godmother in 'The Slipper And The Rose' when I was a little kid and I thought she was beautiful- even more so than Gemma Craven who was playing Cinderella. Richard and Annette were great together as Victor and Margaret, as well as the supporting cast. I was sad when they killed Victor off, even though it was very well done.

One Foot in the Grave is one of the best TV shows of all time in my opinion. Doesn't matter how many times I watch it, it's till hilarious.
  • dorydaryldorydaryl Posts: 15,927
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    One Foot in the Grave is one of the best TV shows of all time in my opinion. Doesn't matter how many times I watch it, it's till hilarious.

Yep, indeed.:)

I also didn't realise that it was Richard Wilson who played the grumpy, sarcastic doctor in 'Only When I Laugh' (Peter Bowles, James Bolam) until a few years after OFITG had been running. I loved that, too.
  • soundchecksoundcheck Posts: 351
    Forum Member
    alfster wrote: »
    You mean just like everyone else life really?

Yes! Exactly! Well, nearly everyone else. :)
  • Keren-HappuchKeren-Happuch Posts: 2,171
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's probably why you didn't know then, shurely... :D

Haha well maybe. But I can't believe all these people who knew he was gay are fascinated with Richard's private life. But then maybe they are. :D
  • NewExampleNewExample Posts: 1,196
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He is a true Gentleman. Cool guy. And a great director, as much as he is an actor.
  • intoxicationintoxication Posts: 7,059
    Forum Member
    The Thread Police? :confused:

I think that poster meant his name no longer has to be thrown around the "which male celebrity is gay thread" seeing as he himself has now announced it so there's no need.
  • wallsterwallster Posts: 17,609
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think that poster meant his name no longer has to be thrown around the "which male celebrity is gay thread" seeing as he himself has now announced it so there's no need.

I never thought he was "in" the closet. It has been known for years.
  • Delboy219Delboy219 Posts: 3,193
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Victor is gay? I don't belieeeve it!

Seriously though, who cares. Amazing actor. :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,510
    Forum Member
    Delboy219 wrote: »
    Victor is gay? I don't belieeeve it!

Seriously though, who cares. Amazing actor. :)

Exactly. I just find it ironic that a posters starts another thread on same subject and tells us to stop posting on another thread!! :confused:
  • Ian AberdonIan Aberdon Posts: 2,172
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He's H A P P Y........he's H A P P Y.............I know he is, I'm sure he is................ :D
  • mr mugglesmr muggles Posts: 4,601
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    downtonfan wrote: »
    Come out of what?

indeed! Its always been common knowledge!

Hasn't it...?
  • grantus_maxgrantus_max Posts: 2,744
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mr muggles wrote: »
    indeed! Its always been common knowledge!

Hasn't it...?

Well I'm sure he's always known :cool:

Whether or not a few people on a forum knew is neither here not there.

However, I'd just like to take this opportunity to tell anyone planning to say 'I don't belieeeve it' - that one's been done quite a bit now. Best leave it, eh?
  • TRIPSTRIPS Posts: 3,714
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Great actor ,don't know why this even news nowadays,
    Always remember him being on the Mrs Merton show with Bernard Manning.
    Manning was disgusting that night,ridiculing Wilson all through the show, put me off Manning from that day.what a horrible man,
    felt very sorry for Wilson that night,
  • Grabid RanniesGrabid Rannies Posts: 4,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TRIPS wrote: »
    Manning was disgusting that night,ridiculing Wilson all through the show, put me off Manning from that day.what a horrible man,

Wilson held his own well - as did Aherne, and did Manning in certain (very limited) respects. I think a fair enough hearing was had for all (ie Manning certainly got the rebukes where deserved) on that now legendary occasion - legendary in the sense that such a gathering simply wouldn't be permitted to occur on air again! It's hard to conceptualise that was the late 90s and so supposedly 'wasn't that long ago', but yet just seems like such a totally and so far removed era to what we're used to now.
  • Jimmy ConnorsJimmy Connors Posts: 117,512
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭

Build-up - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88kzmOUTqfw
    Bust-up - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ghGRd1hp8ZE
    Racist - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dL13o8UCMyU

Bernard Manning made a complete fool of himself (as he invariably did)
  • lexi22lexi22 Posts: 16,394
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Ugh. What a loathsome lump of piggy-eyed blubber he was. The only person he made a fool of was himself.

Thanks for links, Jimmy, never saw that when it aired. :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,129
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He's H A P P Y........he's H A P P Y.............I know he is, I'm sure he is................ :D

Shouldn't that be:

"He's G A A A Y........he's G A A A Y.............I know he is, I'm sure he is................"?;)

"Only When I Laugh" was a gem of a comedy...wonderful Gupta!

Wow, Derrick Branche who played Gupta was in freddie Mercury's first band!!!:cool:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

That was a strange intervewi - he did say he just said what people expected to hear.

I nearly went to see him just to see how good he was at the craft of comedy as he was supposed to be a superb comedian from a technical point of view...just dodgy subject matter but thought better of it...sort of regret it now.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I can believe this.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Great actor ,don't know why this even news nowadays,,

Probably because a lot of people still do not 'accept' people being gay. The more people 'come out' the more accepted it will become...the good thing is that amongst a lot of people it *isn't* a big deal to hear but can be a big deal to admit. It took James Randi till he was in his 80s to admit he was gay and no one was 'bothered' but he had grown up when it was totally unacceptable...it was still illegal in the UK in the 1960...well, 'homosexual acts' were illegal...screwed up the theatre and TV of course...loads of gay acts there.;)

As my dad said at the weekend: "All my favourite actors are turning out to be gay!"

He's old so I'll give him some slack!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Probably because a lot of people still do not 'accept' people being gay. The more people 'come out' the more accepted it will become...the good thing is that amongst a lot of people it *isn't* a big deal to hear but can be a big deal to admit. It took James Randi till he was in his 80s to admit he was gay and no one was 'bothered' but he had grown up when it was totally unacceptable...it was still illegal in the UK in the 1960...well, 'homosexual acts' were illegal...screwed up the theatre and TV of course...loads of gay acts there.;)

As my dad said at the weekend: "All my favourite actors are turning out to be gay!"

He's old so I'll give him some slack!

James Randi's gay? Well there's something I didn't know.

I guess the subject never comes up whenever he guests on some of the skeptic podcasts I listen to.

Also, he's not obviously gay either, the same as a great many people who just get on with their lives without causing society to implode on itself - although you wouldn't think that the way some anti-gay ranters go on... :rolleyes:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    James Randi's gay? Well there's something I didn't know.

I guess the subject never comes up whenever he guests on some of the skeptic podcasts I listen to.

Also, he's not obviously gay either, the same as a great many people who just get on with their lives without causing society to implode on itself - although you wouldn't think that the way some anti-gay ranters go on... :rolleyes:

Here's the brief note he made on JREF:

http://www.randi.org/site/index.php/swift-blog/914-how-to-say-it.html%20%20)

But...come on...with *that* beard...he had to be gay!;)

Most people close to him knew but of course it wasn't something anyone was bothered saying to anyone else etc...a bit like someone knowing i just go for redheads...friends know that but don't broadcast it...but I've 'come out' as a 'ginger chaser' so there you go! Bonnie Langford...phwoar...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Here's the brief note he made on JREF:

http://www.randi.org/site/index.php/swift-blog/914-how-to-say-it.html%20%20)

But...come on...with *that* beard...he had to be gay!;)

Most people close to him knew but of course it wasn't something anyone was bothered saying to anyone else etc...a bit like someone knowing i just go for redheads...friends know that but don't broadcast it...but I've 'come out' as a 'ginger chaser' so there you go! Bonnie Langford...phwoar...

That's disgusting... :D
  • BinCatBinCat Posts: 2,125
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Some of the youtube comments actually seem to be sticking up for Manning, which is weird. I thought he was universally despised.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BinCat wrote: »
    Some of the youtube comments actually seem to be sticking up for Manning, which is weird. I thought he was universally despised.

I wouldn't go judging the consensus of society's attitudes based on YouTube comments, any more than I would on Have Your Say or the Daily Mail...

They seem to attract the kneejerkers amongst us like bees to honey. Keeps them all in the same place I suppose, and off the streets :D