New Superman Film :: Man of Steel

Comments

• big danbig dan Posts: 7,878
    Forum Member
    I would prefer to just have another Nolan Batman installment, rather than a Superman film trying to be like one.

Superman is the standard super-hero, and suits the traditional action-adventure mould of comic-book film.
  • StuBStuB Posts: 538
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Theshane wrote: »
    Who's eye lasers? Unless he's got eyes that pop out that won't work.

Well, in the comics he has been shown using a piece of kryptonian metal to reflect the heat vision to shave his stubble.

He has also been shown with a beard in a number of stories, so it's all within the realms of the "real" Superman stories.
  • Dai13371Dai13371 Posts: 8,071
    Forum Member
    "The trailer is worrying, as if having Snyder directing was worrying enough, with it's Batman Begins tone."

I think these are the ingredients for comic-film gold.

"Superman: Deadliest Catch? Don't think so."

Humble family beginnings.

"Flying with a jetstream even though he isn't propelled by jet engine. And Clark Kent with a beard!!!"

Actually a contrail, caused by changes in air pressure and the suspension of water droplets in the atmosphere, as well as by jet exhausts. A beard, well, strewth.

"How is he going to shave?"

Eye lasers?

He broke the sound barrier there when that "bubble" enveloped him.

I take it Clark Kent needs to cut his hair now and again so that he doesn't end up looking like girly Thor from Marvel. Kent probably uses his fingernails.

I am now a quivering with excitement over this. I must admit.
  • TheshaneTheshane Posts: 1,815
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dai13371 wrote: »
    He broke the sound barrier there when that "bubble" enveloped him.

I take it Clark Kent needs to cut his hair now and again so that he doesn't end up looking like girly Thor from Marvel. Kent probably uses his fingernails.

The beard thing just seems odd as Clark/Superman is always clean cut. He's not the Big Blue Boy Scout for nothing.
    I'd love to be excited by this.
    The first film I ever saw in the cinema was the original Superman movie. I loved it still do.
    Superman 2 not so much.
    Superman 3 even less much
    Superman 4 even less than less much.
    I thought Superman Returns was brilliant and certainly the best Superman film since the first one.
    I can't get excited about a Superman film by Snyder. 300 was awful. Watchmen was Poor, and Suckerpunch lasted half an hour before being turned off.
    He just seems the totally wrong fit for Superman. And the Batman Begins vibe from the trailer seems totally wrong.
    Forum Member
    I feel exactly the opposite to you though. I was hooked by The Dawn of the Dead in the first five minutes, thought 300 was stylish, interesting and entertaining, Watchman was just epic and Suckerpunch was bonkers but enjoyable.
  • Stuart_RentonStuart_Renton Posts: 117
    Forum Member

I agree: can't wait! Haven't looked forward to a movie so much since ... well, never you mind! *grins*

But, where do you stand on the non-Williams' score?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I feel exactly the opposite to you though. I was hooked by The Dawn of the Dead in the first five minutes, thought 300 was stylish, interesting and entertaining, Watchman was just epic and Suckerpunch was bonkers but enjoyable.

One of the names bandied about last year for the job was Robert Zemeckis. He would have been perfect for Superman.
    Forum Member
    I agree: can't wait! Haven't looked forward to a movie so much since ... well, never you mind! *grins*

But, where do you stand on the non-Williams' score?

I am actually happy that they have called Zimmer in do to an original score. The williams score is iconic and epic and does not belong in a film that does not have Christopher Reeve as the title character. Snyder is doing the right thing. He wants to his film to be judged on its own merit, that is an adaptation of a DC character and not a remake of Richard Donner's seminal film. Similarly I am glad Abrams did not use Jerry Goldsmith's Star Trek score when he made his own film.
  • Stuart_RentonStuart_Renton Posts: 117
    Forum Member
    I am actually happy that they have called Zimmer in do to an original score. The williams score is iconic and epic and does not belong in a film that does not have Christopher Reeve as the title character. Snyder is doing the right thing. He wants to his film to be judged on its own merit, that is an adaptation of a DC character and not a remake of Richard Donner's seminal film. Similarly I am glad Abrams did not use Jerry Goldsmith's Star Trek score when he made his own film.

Absolutely agree. It should now be made illegal to mention the Williams' score in connection with the new movie :D
    Forum Member
    One of the names bandied about last year for the job was Robert Zemeckis. He would have been perfect for Superman.

Yes he would have been a great choice, and his style is quite light hearted, however would he had chosen to rotoscope it?
    Forum Member
    Absolutely agree. It should now be made illegal to mention the Williams' score in connection with the new movie :D

I quite agree. :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes he would have been a great choice, and his style is quite light hearted, however would he had chosen to rotoscope it?

Apparently he's given all that up now and come back to the world of real people.
    Forum Member
    Oh ritght. Oh I did love Beowulf but it was nothing they couldnt have done with live actors (well, not Ray Winstone in his current state anyway ;) )
  • wildphantom!wildphantom! Posts: 561
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    People are jumping to very quick conclusions with Snyder, from what is basically a teaser trailer. Who knows what he'll bring to the table for Superman (I am a fan and even enjoyed is vastly underrated animantion Legend of the Guardians). We have arguably the best comic book adapter/screenwriter David Goyer and obviously produced by Nolan, to me this sounds great for any fan of DC adaptations - if only the shambolic Green Lantern had this backing.

I support WB/Nolan/Snyder in not using the Williams theme as they want to create their own universe and in Snyder's words 'no Superman film came before this one' along with a brand new score with Hans Zimmer - you can almost guarantee that he will do a cracking job akin to his Dark Knight trilogy score.

Call me optimistic, but I can't wait.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    Ditto Wildphantom! OK, my non-de-plume here is a giveaway, but I'm really looking forward to this. I loved Snyder's Dawn of the Dead remake a great deal, and also Watchmen and 300. He's very underrated. But he'll need to be at his most grown up to handle Superman imho. I hope now is the right time.

Cavill really looks the man to me, btw. Really hints at something deeper underneath the Kryptonian jawline.
  • FuzzyDunlop82FuzzyDunlop82 Posts: 155
    Forum Member
    The tone of a Batman film wouldn't work for Superman. Superman is not dark. He's a beacon of hope.

Humble family beginnings?
    That would work except for him being brought up on a farm.

And eye lasers?
    Who's eye lasers? Unless he's got eyes that pop out that won't work.

The teaser trailor also shows a barn...maybe he's a fisherman raised...on a farm.

The eye lasers was sarcasm, sorry. I wasn't bothered about the appearence of a beard.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The teaser trailor also shows a barn...maybe he's a fisherman raised...on a farm.

The eye lasers was sarcasm, sorry. I wasn't bothered about the appearence of a beard.

That's the thing though, Clark was never a fisherman. Seems a bit odd.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 700
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    it is an odd teaser. the purpose seems to be to prepare audiences for a completely different take on superman before they issue the trailers with lots of flying and fighting

the original was the template for basically every superhero film that followed. and yes Nolan fanboys that includes Batman Begins, Nolan himself acknowledges this on the bluray features.

Superman Returns was certainly a mistake, though it did usher in the genre of dark-rather-than-fun superhero blockbusters that Nolan has now taken up

i don't see where the fishing stuff is coming from but it looks more interesting than this summer's spiderman retread.

and yes, there should be a ban on anyone saying "it would be better with john williams score"
  • Johnny ClayJohnny Clay Posts: 5,328
    Forum Member
    An odd teaser indeed. At first I thought it was a life assuarance ad - all artsy path of life shots and voice of wisdom schtick. Then that almost nonchalantly wow clip of Supes in flight. Intriguing, at least, and I like Syder's stuff on the whole.

btw - that fishing stuff? Jesus, I thought, then realised he was actually a carpenter.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,305
    Forum Member
    Looks good from the brief teaser trailer, i'm actually extremely glad that they've decided to alter things, i think the Superman story needs a fresh take rather than a retread of the 1978 film. I'm also glad that Hans Zimmer is doing new music rather than relying on the John Williams score, considering that Zimmer's scores for the Batman films were superb (as was his brilliant score for Inception) i'd say they've got the right man for the job. Likewise with Snyder, he might have messed up with the god-awful Sucker Punch, but his Watchmen film was excellent (imo) which shows that he "gets" what makes a good comic book movie.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 700
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    as trailers go it's just a bit low-key and underwhelming compared to this
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OsKjfJ1sUIk
    Forum Member
    revans9 wrote: »
    as trailers go it's just a bit low-key and underwhelming compared to this
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OsKjfJ1sUIk

Yeah but that's cheating. It uses a Marlon Brando voice over with a John Williams score. :D I only have to hear the merest hint of the Williams score in anything and my neck hairs spuddoing out! They ought to use it in gravy commercials or something.
    Forum Member
    CJClarke wrote: »
    Looks good from the brief teaser trailer, i'm actually extremely glad that they've decided to alter things, i think the Superman story needs a fresh take rather than a retread of the 1978 film. I'm also glad that Hans Zimmer is doing new music rather than relying on the John Williams score, considering that Zimmer's scores for the Batman films were superb (as was his brilliant score for Inception) i'd say they've got the right man for the job. Likewise with Snyder, he might have messed up with the god-awful Sucker Punch, but his Watchmen film was excellent (imo) which shows that he "gets" what makes a good comic book movie.

Absolutely x 1000. :)

Give him a beard or a pair of magic undercrackers. Just make him great again.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    An odd teaser indeed. At first I thought it was a life assuarance ad - all artsy path of life shots and voice of wisdom schtick. Then that almost nonchalantly wow clip of Supes in flight. Intriguing, at least, and I like Syder's stuff on the whole.

btw - that fishing stuff? Jesus, I thought, then realised he was actually a carpenter.

Maybe instead of the usual Christ allegory they'll go with the Apostle allegory and Superman will become a fisher of
    Men?
    Forum Member
    This trailer looks fantastic to me. :) Catch it quick before they remove it!