Words that cannot be used on radio

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 122
Forum Member
Hi

Someone told me there is a website or something within the ofcom website which shows which words are classed as unacceptable to be used on radio. I'm talking about swearwords, words that might be construd as offensive etc...

Does anyone have a link?

Cheers

Comments

• GeorgeSGeorgeS Posts: 20,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Change channels now? :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 122
    Forum Member
    Haha... its nothing to do with anything I've heard... its so I can let me presenters know to protect them and the station haha
  • Mapperley RidgeMapperley Ridge Posts: 9,922
    Forum Member
    I think this is a myth. There are NO words that CANNOT be used on the radio; only those that qould require serious thought before being broadcast - and would only be justified in context. This is already being widely discussed in another thread about the radio watershed.

Essentially, you havae to be mindful of the time of day you are broadcasting to, your core audience at that time of day, and their expectation of what they think they're likely to hear. So - in its simplest form - a f**k in he middle of a hard hitting Radio 4 afternoon play would be acceptable (subject to sufficient warning being given at the start of the broadcast, but on a regular music radio afternoon show it wouldn't.
  • GeorgeSGeorgeS Posts: 20,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Individual stations presumably have style guides that prohibit certain words, phrases or subjects.
    Forum Member
    I think this is a myth. There are NO words that CANNOT be used on the radio; only those that qould require serious thought before being broadcast - and would only be justified in context. This is already being widely discussed in another thread about the radio watershed.

Essentially, you havae to be mindful of the time of day you are broadcasting to, your core audience at that time of day, and their expectation of what they think they're likely to hear. So - in its simplest form - a f**k in he middle of a hard hitting Radio 4 afternoon play would be acceptable (subject to sufficient warning being given at the start of the broadcast, but on a regular music radio afternoon show it wouldn't.

Really?? I am slightly shocked at that........I don't want to be in trouble with ofcom lol
    Forum Member
    OFCOM's role is not be be so prescriptive that it sets down a list of "dos and donts". No guidelines are ever like that.
  • stripedcatstripedcat Posts: 6,689
    Forum Member
    I assume there is a watershed for broadcast radio?
    Forum Member
    stripedcat wrote: »

No, there is not.

http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1511297
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 714
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Here is a comprehensive list of words that cannot be said on the radio -

Hope that helps.
  • Dirty TalkDirty Talk Posts: 123
    Forum Member

The poster might be referring to a report that was published by Ofcom some time ago into research they carried out on offensive language on the radio.

This listed various words and phrases that people questioned on the topic found offensive - but it wasn't a 'list of words you can't say on the radio'.

I do think that double standards are in play here compared to television. If I was on the air at 11pm and said 'that song was f**king brilliant,' I would quite rightly expect to be off the air the next night and subsequently asked to return my keys to the studio.

But turn on any TV panel quiz show at 9.30pm or so, and you'll watch comedians and celebs using an F or a C every other word, with no consequence. Go figure.
    Forum Member
    stripedcat wrote: »

Yes Watershed radio....
    Forum Member
    mistermeep wrote: »

Hope that helps.

Just what I needed.... thank you so much lol:)
    Forum Member
    Dirty Talk wrote: »
    The poster might be referring to a report that was published by Ofcom some time ago into research they carried out on offensive language on the radio.

This listed various words and phrases that people questioned on the topic found offensive - but it wasn't a 'list of words you can't say on the radio'.

I do think that double standards are in play here compared to television. If I was on the air at 11pm and said 'that song was f**king brilliant,' I would quite rightly expect to be off the air the next night and subsequently asked to return my keys to the studio.

But turn on any TV panel quiz show at 9.30pm or so, and you'll watch comedians and celebs using an F or a C every other word, with no consequence. Go figure.

Yes thats the one I am on about!!!
  • 2Bdecided2Bdecided Posts: 4,416
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Our student station had a list of words you weren't allowed to use on air.

No real surprises, and I can't imagine anyone would have been stupid enough to think they were acceptable any way. I guess no one could claim they hadn't been told.

Cheers,
    David.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 29
    Forum Member
    2Bdecided wrote: »
    Our student station had a list of words you weren't allowed to use on air..

If i worked at a station with a list, I'd try and find ones that arent on it and use them! :D
    Forum Member
    2Bdecided wrote: »
    Our student station had a list of words you weren't allowed to use on air.

No real surprises, and I can't imagine anyone would have been stupid enough to think they were acceptable any way. I guess no one could claim they hadn't been told.

Cheers,
    David.

I know the obv stuff... but there are words also which are not politically correct and they change al lthe time.... and also words which might offend... I guess the list is endless... just wondered if there was a definitive list..... prob not by the sounds of things
    :(
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 171
    Forum Member
    Good Morning this is TotalStar.
  • colinhanslipcolinhanslip Posts: 158
    Forum Member
    According to the Scissor Sisters, "You Can't Say Tits on the radio" (or something like that)
  • TUCTUC Posts: 5,105
    Forum Member
    Stiff Little Fingers had a song 'You Can't Say Crap On The Radio after being told off at Metro Radio for using that very word.
  • cody jarrettcody jarrett Posts: 1,939
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Here's a little guide from Monty Python:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=deAc8-VpUKg
  • MeicYMeicY Posts: 2,585
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    1 More.
    2 Music
    3 Variety

4 Love
    5 The
    6 Show

7 Top
    8 Of
    9 The
    10 Hour
    Forum Member
    MeicY wrote: »
    1 More.
    2 Music
    3 Variety

4 Love
    5 The
    6 Show

7 Top
    8 Of
    9 The
    10 Hour

Think we know the basic ones... but thank you for the contribution lol... Funny though!
    Forum Member
    Here's a little guide from Monty Python:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=deAc8-VpUKg

Never seen that one before... but funny!:)
  • IworkinradioIworkinradio Posts: 209
    Forum Member
    There a ranking of word in order of the offence they cause. The ones of the top are fairly obvious sexual ones and the most offensive racial terms.
  • Lordy LordyLordy Lordy Posts: 1,683
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mistermeep wrote: »

Hope that helps.

I can get 1,2,3,5 & 6.....what are the rest?