- The KELIS Appreciation Thread -

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 24,080
Forum Member
✭✭✭
R&B, Dance, Trip Hop, Trance, Funk, Pop, Avant - garde and Electronica.

This woman has done them all. And then some!

Consistently overlooked, and everyone only truly remembers her for the overrated Milkshake song (still fun!).

Was just blasting out Flesh Tone on this sunny (but windy) day! and it made me really think. She effortlessly can change and adapt vocally to different genres and images.

Flesh Tone was one of my favourite albums of last year and was my album of the summer!

In my opinion Flesh Tone is actually a modern Dance masterpiece. Kinda styled in a 70s segued fashion, Progressive and arty but in a commercial way, she is a very underappreciated female artist.

See also her Tasty, Kelis Was Here and Kaleidescope albums which are just fantastic!

So what is everyones favourite Kelis moment, song, video, album? and why do you think she is so overlooked?

Also, happy she went on tour with Robyn!

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,143
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I loved Fleshtone last year, it truly deserved more notice and was a fantastic album. I also love her past work too...the milkshake song ended up becoming a parody heaven and stuff but it was a catchy song.

I think she's overlooked because she hit in a genre people didn't expect her to do and even though it worked for us, people would write her off so easily because of the milkshake stigma.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 24,080
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Califa wrote: »
    I loved Fleshtone last year, it truly deserved more notice and was a fantastic album. I also love her past work too...the milkshake song ended up becoming a parody heaven and stuff but it was a catchy song.

I think she's overlooked because she hit in a genre people didn't expect her to do and even though it worked for us, people would write her off so easily because of the milkshake stigma.

it truly was a phenomenal Dance album. And i love her husky voice.

Flesh Tone and Robyns Body Talk albums and Janelles ArchAndroid really defined last summer for me! and each of them so overlooked and low charting albums :(

Milkshake is a fun song. I did absolutely love Millionaire with Andre 3000 on Tasty!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 201
    Forum Member
    Kelis 'Tasty' was one of the first albums i brought, so that will always be my favourite album of hers.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Kelis 'Tasty' was one of the first albums i brought, so that will always be my favourite album of hers.

I do feel that Tasty is one of my all times as well :) it was one of my earliest bought albums!

Trick Me converted me into a Kelis fan! :)
    Forum Member
    I do feel that Tasty is one of my all times as well :) it was one of my earliest bought albums!

Trick Me converted me into a Kelis fan! :)

'Trick Me' and 'Millionaire' are my favourites on that album and i agree with 'Flesh Tone' been underrated album, it should of done better on the charts.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    'Trick Me' and 'Millionaire' are my favourites on that album and i agree with 'Flesh Tone' been underrated album, it should of done better on the charts.

yeah! Acapella was genius and so beautiful and it was a hit here! and it should have been a relaunch :(

But still at least there is a cult following, she just in not in the mainstream with the likes of RIhanna and Beyonce being the more predominant female artists in the R&B genre.

But while i love RIhanna and respect Bey. Kelis has that extra that i find so attractive about her albums and music.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,182
    Forum Member
    ALWAYS loved Kelis. Ever since I saw the music video of "caught out there". Such a fantastic break up song.

Loved "good stuff", young fresh and new, Milkshake and acapella, 4th of July.
    Forum Member
    yeah! Acapella was genius and so beautiful and it was a hit here! and it should have been a relaunch :(

But still at least there is a cult following, she just in not in the mainstream with the likes of RIhanna and Beyonce being the more predominant female artists in the R&B genre.

But while i love RIhanna and respect Bey. Kelis has that extra that i find so attractive about her albums and music.

i liked how 'Acapella' was a tribute to her son and her music isn't the most commercial but it's more meaningful than what's out at the moment.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i liked how 'Acapella' was a tribute to her son and her music isn't the most commercial but it's more meaningful than what's out at the moment.

exactly. Thats why i love her, that her music is so from the heart!

Which i cannot connect with a LOAD of mainstream artists out there in the charts right now.

and yes Caught Out There i was :eek::cool: when i heard/saw the video! kaleidescope i bought later however, a year or so before Flesh Tone was released. Fantastic album!

Kelis Was Here also was an underperformer....love Lil Star with Cee-Lo :)
    Forum Member
    exactly. Thats why i love her, that her music is so from the heart!

Which i cannot connect with a LOAD of mainstream artists out there in the charts right now.

and yes Caught Out There i was :eek::cool: when i heard/saw the video! kaleidescope i bought later however, a year or so before Flesh Tone was released. Fantastic album!

Kelis Was Here also was an underperformer....love Lil Star with Cee-Lo :)

I love the video for 'Caught Out There' especially when she's saying 'I hate you so much right now' and 'Kelis Was Here', i wasn't so much into 'Bossy' but i did like 'Lil Star' and was glad it did well in the UK.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love the video for 'Caught Out There' especially when she's saying 'I hate you so much right now' and 'Kelis Was Here', i wasn't so much into 'Bossy' but i did like 'Lil Star' and was glad it did well in the UK.

Bossy is very underwhelming really, I mean the album is very very good but the song for a lead single....not very strong really....like the intro to the video however where she changes her era as she changes the style of the song :)
  • ButterfliesButterflies Posts: 2,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My milkshake brings all the boys to the yaaaaaaaaaaaaaard. :D
  • astra19Eastra19E Posts: 2,554
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Coincidence!
    I was listening to "Scream" from Fleshtone right at the moment I saw this thread. Song of the moment for me.
    Forum Member
    Bossy is very underwhelming really, I mean the album is very very good but the song for a lead single....not very strong really....like the intro to the video however where she changes her era as she changes the style of the song :)

I did find the beginning good as it shows the end of one and the start of another.
    My milkshake brings all the boys to the yaaaaaaaaaaaaaard. :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lg077QQet-g :D
    Forum Member

I love that amanda clip ''make it nastyyyy'' :D:D:D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 310
    Forum Member
    My favourite track from Kelis was last years '4th of July', that should have done so much better on the charts!
  • ButterfliesButterflies Posts: 2,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love that amanda clip ''make it nastyyyy'' :D:D:D

Hehe me too. :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My favourite track from Kelis was last years '4th of July', that should have done so much better on the charts!

me too!

That was such n anthem for the summer and fantastic release after Acapella, wish it was much bigger personally!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,016
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not a fan of her older albums but Fleshtone was amazing, almost Confessions part 2, put together in such a beautiful, flowing way. So many potential singles on there too. In a way I'm sad it didn't get alot of commercial success but from a critical point of view its amazing and with perhaps more publicity and promotion it would have done better.
  • Mr. FahrenheitMr. Fahrenheit Posts: 9,911
    Forum Member
    I love Kelis, she's criminally underrated.:)

Caught Out There, Trick Me and Acapella are my favourite songs, and FleshTone is my favourite album from her.

Also - How cool is this thread? Kelis, Ben Stiller, Peter Griffin and Ugly Betty? AWESOME!:cool:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love Kelis, she's criminally underrated.:)

Caught Out There, Trick Me and Acapella are my favourite songs, and FleshTone is my favourite album from her.

Also - How cool is this thread? Kelis, Ben Stiller, Peter Griffin and Ugly Betty? AWESOME!:cool:

hahaha it is like the five degrees of separation! :D

Emancipate yourself!
  • josh2721josh2721 Posts: 518
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Fleshtone Part II PLEASE! That album was sensational!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,077
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sootysoo wrote: »
    ALWAYS loved Kelis. Ever since I saw the music video of "caught out there". Such a fantastic break up song.

Loved "good stuff", young fresh and new, Milkshake and acapella, 4th of July.

Totally agree with you. I remember hearing this anthemic agressive song once on TOTP, and it turned out to be "Caught Out There" which really grabbed my attention. Not long after that, there was a slick hip hop track "Good Stuff" which I fell in love with. I distantly remember "Get Along With You", but "Young Fresh & New" drew me back to the ol' Kelis I fell in love with. I knew that hit after hit, Kelis would always be one of my favourite artists, and still remains today...
  • josh2721josh2721 Posts: 518
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Her new song with Calvin Harris is pretty good but I'd still prefer another entire dance record. Hopefully, she can get around to it but her record sales are crap so it's unlikely.