The Dole and training courses, why I cant get on them?

scruffpotscruffpot Posts: 4,570
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I am on the dole, I have qualifications (English degree and maths GCSE).
I went to a jobs fair today, because there were a few agencies and I was in need of some advice cv check etc.

I am Inhouse trained at driving fork lifts (I dont have the proper qualifications but can be authorised to drive).
I saw a company which works with learn direct and a few other companies offer training to get the full fork lift license, being Im on the dole I though that would be usefull get the full qualification then I can go get a job asap (ok not fantastic job but its money).

However I found out you have to do a literacy and numeracy test before going on the course. I was asked if I have qualifications I said 'Yes I do' (see above)
I was told being I have qualifications I would have to pay to go on the course if I didn't it would be free!!! even though Im on the dole wanting to train to get off the dole and work.

So therefore if you have botherd to go and get an education but end up on the dole to go back into training to get qualifications to get a job you have to pay (mind your on the dole with very little money). Where as you havent got qualifiactions its all free.

It doesnt make much sense to me, ok I know there are people who want jobs no qualifactions etc, and its good for them but if your like me with qualications you have to shell out loads of money to get a job. Crap init.

Comments

• WeeksyWeeksy Posts: 6,139
    Forum Member
    Hold on, you have a degree in English and you can't get a job?

Something about your post doesn't add up... don't you have A-Levels? Kinda essential for a degree I thought. You can't just go from GCSE to uni....
  • scruffpotscruffpot Posts: 4,570
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have a degree and A levels.
    I have applied shed loads of jobs even retail but have been told Im over qualified even by the agencies.
    I live in the south west where down here its mainly customer service outbound telesales. done that once never again.

thats why im thinking about retraining, or even getting a qualification so i can go and get a job by next week and get off the dole. even if its just fork lifting in a warehouse.

but my point is to go on these courses if you have got qualifiactions you have to pay? where is if you dont have any its free.
  • SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have recently been put on a thirteen week course!Stops here.There is NO course atall.I live in Lewisham and have to travel to Colliers Wood everyday just to do a bit of jobsearch for thirteen weeks.On interview I asked them what the courses were like.And they turn around and state,"We don't have courses anymore due to Government not giving us enough funding anymore''.
    I suddenly thought,why I bothered to come .

First you need to get on to Newdeal,then you need to get onto a gateway to work course.On the Gateway to work course you are often confronted by tutors who have attitudes against unemployed people.One time I was told that I loved being unemployed.By the end of the day I threw a cup at the wall but really wish I had thrown the tutor out the window.

It is mainly jobsearching.No courses and only a few volunteers coming in to tell you that they will listen to what ails you.NEW Deal used to be a lot better as someone who has been on it three times,this being my third.I tell the honest truth.You are better off just doing a college course and sticking to JSA and going to the jobcenttre twice a week.

But oh!The jobcentre have become different.They are so arrogant that you have to make an appointment to see anybody.They even go as far to put bodyguards outside the entrance.No appointment then you can only use the telphone to Belfast and then get put through to someone less than half a mile away.Upstairs.

The Rushey green Jobcentre has become a border control.There is a line which meets the carpet and the wood floor.Cannot pass the line without showing evidence of an appointment.One time,somebody got thrown out and they nearly broke that persons neck.The advisors always wanted JSA claimers to go to the jobcentre.Now it looks like they want you to call Jobcentre Direct on the telephone as they dont want vizavi with any of its clients.As if they are swept off their feet.The other day I saw two advisors playing card game.Whatever it was,there accompanied a barrel of laughter and all the other advisors were placing bets of who would win.THe winner would get fifty pounds to spend where they liked.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,814
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    with so many people now having degrees I think the job market is getting tougher, although I wouldnt have thought it that hard that there was nothing!! When did you finish uni and what have you been doing since? I cant believe that there are no jobs when you have a degree? Are you sure that you want to work? or just want to spend your time getting qualifications??

Unfortunately, it seems that the more qualified you are the most it costs to get better qualified. I am currently employed full time but after 18 years in an office have decided for a career change, I am having to pay for my degree myself whilst I carry on working and am intending to use the degree to go on and do teaching for which there is now being charged tutition fees which I find quite extortionate as its an extra year full time study, where I have to give up my job and be a student, get a bursary, student loan, and end up owing more money to be able to teach the future generations! :mad:
  • topcat2topcat2 Posts: 6,265
    Forum Member
    nanamoan wrote:
    with so many people now having degrees I think the job market is getting tougher, although I wouldnt have thought it that hard that there was nothing!! When did you finish uni and what have you been doing since? I cant believe that there are no jobs when you have a degree? Are you sure that you want to work? or just want to spend your time getting qualifications??

Unfortunately, it seems that the more qualified you are the most it costs to get better qualified. I am currently employed full time but after 18 years in an office have decided for a career change, I am having to pay for my degree myself whilst I carry on working and am intending to use the degree to go on and do teaching for which there is now being charged tutition fees which I find quite extortionate as its an extra year full time study, where I have to give up my job and be a student, get a bursary, student loan, and end up owing more money to be able to teach the future generations! :mad:

I am the same I had an Eng degree and A Levels etc and it took me 6 months to get a job that paid more than 10k per year. Its rubbish.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That is absolutly disgusting.

HEY TV crews, Dispatches etc, tell you what, me a EYE2006 give us some money and cameras, let us make a documentary about the whole JSA etc situation.

Im not going to knock the people who deal with me at the JSA in my town because they have been really helpful and I get to see someone specially every 2weeks (which is a bit strange usually you have to que up) downsatirs and I bypass it all.

Im trying to get a job go on courses and there is no help what so ever, if you have qualifiactions.

The adult college by me, Im waiting till oct for a course that has set me back 400 pounds, do you think If I had no qualifiactions it would be free, the awnser to that is actually, YES.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Eye2006 wrote:
    First you need to get on to Newdeal,then you need to get onto a gateway to work course.On the Gateway to work course you are often confronted by tutors who have attitudes against unemployed people.One time I was told that I loved being unemployed.By the end of the day I threw a cup at the wall but really wish I had thrown the tutor out the window.

great fun isnt it!? Ive been on a gateway to work course, it was fantastic, 25 people cramed in a area suitable for 15 with only 10 computers to do jobsearch on, tutors who spoke to you like you were jobless because you were either 1, stupid or 2, lazy,

either way they want to to apply for every job in the paper regarless of wether or not you are qualified for it because its 'good interview experince' yeah right great when the employer looks at you gone out when if you actually manage to bluff a interview they realise you have no idea what the job is about!.

Also they have no idea what "I want to work with computers" I know someone who went to them and said this and they were sent on a admin course - no my dear he said "computer course" not admin course, he did say clearly that he wanted to work repairing problems on networks, not causing them.

I think you found my pet hate! gateway to work courses!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    scruffpot wrote:
    I am on the dole, I have qualifications (English degree and maths GCSE).
    I went to a jobs fair today, because there were a few agencies and I was in need of some advice cv check etc.

I am Inhouse trained at driving fork lifts (I dont have the proper qualifications but can be authorised to drive).
    I saw a company which works with learn direct and a few other companies offer training to get the full fork lift license, being Im on the dole I though that would be usefull get the full qualification then I can go get a job asap (ok not fantastic job but its money).

However I found out you have to do a literacy and numeracy test before going on the course. I was asked if I have qualifications I said 'Yes I do' (see above)
    I was told being I have qualifications I would have to pay to go on the course if I didn't it would be free!!! even though Im on the dole wanting to train to get off the dole and work.

So therefore if you have botherd to go and get an education but end up on the dole to go back into training to get qualifications to get a job you have to pay (mind your on the dole with very little money). Where as you havent got qualifiactions its all free.

It doesnt make much sense to me, ok I know there are people who want jobs no qualifactions etc, and its good for them but if your like me with qualications you have to shell out loads of money to get a job. Crap init.

Its unfair isnt it?

What makes you different because you have a degree? nothing you are out of work like everyone else, do they think people who had degrees hoard money under their beds for this kind of stuff.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    nanamoan wrote:

I finished uni in 2001, I worked throughout uni everyday in a crappy job in the evening, after uni i went to work for an exhibition centre building concerts shows etc, good job money etc, but on average 82 hrs a week with no extra benefits or over time paid just one straight wage. 5 years of that I had enough, actually my body had enough and gave up. I relocated down sth because of the chance to plus where i lived was a not very nice town, fed up of being attacked most nights by gangs, lifestyle etc and just general shite.
    Have worked up till crimbo then we all got sacked.
    So yeah degrees mean nothing, only problem when you look into a lot of graduate jobs a majority are all marketing sales.
    So yeah ive paid my way through taxes, even through uni, dont have a student loan I worked, even paid the entrance fees myself. Had a bloomin good time though
    Ok it doesnt help liveing where i live down sth west jobs are not good and the money isnt to good (plymouth) but then I wouldnt swop this for any other large town ever.beaches 10 mins away dartmoor etc clean air space green parks most places.

After what ive paid through taxes etc, Im qualified but is there any help for people like me to get on corses for free. No.
    Makes me wonder was it all worth it, should i have given up school, college, uni, to go on the dole and get it al for free.
    But then Ild never of done that cause im used to hard graft, not just flaoting through it all.

Im not knocking ppl who have no qualifiactions and are doing something for them selves fair play to you and good luck, its just my position im talking about :)
  • topcat2topcat2 Posts: 6,265
    Forum Member
    A friend of mine a few years ago did a drama degree hes really into drama and performing arts and then wanted to get on this musical apprenticeship scheme through the job centre but guess what because he has a degree he can't do it.
    Doesnt get him work though does it and if hes qualified for it and prepared to do the work why should the scheme go to some spotty oik who can't be arsed rather than someone who is really really up for it and wants to do every aspect of it. He graduated 6 years or so ago now and I think he still doesn't have that good a job this scheme would have really helped him. It really pisses me off.

I have another friend who has 3 kids, worked for 6 months when she finished school at 16 and has been on benefits ever since. They paid for her to do a college course 2 years ago including childcare costs and everything and then offered but she hasn't taken them up on it, to pay for her to do a uni course too. All paid for no debt. Incidentally since she finished it she still doesn't have a job or have any intention of getting one seemingly. So have a few kids and abuse the system and you get everything paid for, keep your head down and work hard you send up with a huge mountain of debt and your prospects still aren't much better for it. Is there any incentive to actually work in this country.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Weeksy wrote:

Something about your post doesn't add up... don't you have A-Levels? Kinda essential for a degree I thought. You can't just go from GCSE to uni....

You can get on degrees without them, especially if you are classed as a mature student and have relevant experience
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There is a grant, you can get up to £200 off course fees. You need to be on benefits, and it doesn't matter about the level of qualification that you have already studied to.

It used to be that if you had studied a degree, you weren't entitled to help, even if you were benefits. But you need to find a provider that will except the voucher you get given.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Eye2006 wrote:
    I have recently been put on a thirteen week course!Stops here.There is NO course atall.I live in Lewisham and have to travel to Colliers Wood everyday just to do a bit of jobsearch for thirteen weeks.On interview I asked them what the courses were like.And they turn around and state,"We don't have courses anymore due to Government not giving us enough funding anymore''.
    I suddenly thought,why I bothered to come .

It is mainly jobsearching.No courses and only a few volunteers coming in to tell you that they will listen to what ails you.NEW Deal used to be a lot better as someone who has been on it three times,this being my third.I tell the honest truth.You are better off just doing a college course and sticking to JSA and going to the jobcenttre twice a week.

But oh!The jobcentre have become different.They are so arrogant that you have to make an appointment to see anybody.They even go as far to put bodyguards outside the entrance.No appointment then you can only use the telphone to Belfast and then get put through to someone less than half a mile away.Upstairs.

The Rushey green Jobcentre has become a border control.There is a line which meets the carpet and the wood floor.Cannot pass the line without showing evidence of an appointment.One time,somebody got thrown out and they nearly broke that persons neck.The advisors always wanted JSA claimers to go to the jobcentre.Now it looks like they want you to call Jobcentre Direct on the telephone as they dont want vizavi with any of its clients.As if they are swept off their feet.The other day I saw two advisors playing card game.Whatever it was,there accompanied a barrel of laughter and all the other advisors were placing bets of who would win.THe winner would get fifty pounds to spend where they liked.

I'm on New Deal, and thankfully I've bypassed that stupid "Gateway to Work" course. If you get your placement sorted out quickly you can do this.

I have to say I'd get very angry if someone told me I loved being unemployed! It is the most boring thing ever! Maybe some people love being unemployed, but its very frustrating to hear that from some idiot who doesn't even know you.
  • Sir ChasmSir Chasm Posts: 3,733
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Weeksy wrote:
    Oh yes one can ... :D
  • Sir ChasmSir Chasm Posts: 3,733
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Eye2006 wrote:
    NEW Deal used to be a lot better as someone who has been on it three times,this being my third.I tell the honest truth.You are better off just doing a college course and sticking to JSA and going to the jobcenttre twice a week.
    These "New Deal" courses for the unemployed ... are they any good? Presumably not if you've been round three times :confused:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ejmd wrote:
    These "New Deal" courses for the unemployed ... are they any good? Presumably not if you've been round three times :confused:

They used to be until the government withdrew funding for various training courses.Newdeal.I call it a Raw Deal across the board.

The teachers remind me of Squidward.They hate their jobs and find it more interesting to be at home,reading the arts.
  • AstraZenAstraZen Posts: 810
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Im on new deal. Doing voluntry work for a charity shop for 12 weeks. The first place at the 'training place' so horrible, 95% of people did not want to work and plain criminals, drug dealing on induction and constantly interupting the person who has come in to give further advice. Really pissed me off that did, and I hope i never have to go through it again.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Malone1uk wrote:
    Im on new deal. Doing voluntry work for a charity shop for 12 weeks. The first place at the 'training place' so horrible, 95% of people did not want to work and plain criminals, drug dealing on induction and constantly interupting the person who has come in to give further advice. Really pissed me off that did, and I hope i never have to go through it again.

Thats why I would advice anyone who is about to go on New Deal to get their placement sorted out quickly. Then you can start it once you're offically on the scheme.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    update update update.....went to the dole office today this mornign to sign on, told them what i had been told at the careers fair etc, the bloke agreed with me that it isn't fair how it is run, and that is special circumtances have put me on the corse, well its a 4 months waiting list but.... ill ahve job by then however even if i have a job if i can get the time off i can go on it still :)
    See rememeber fight for what you think you can get.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 999
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Weeksy wrote:

Not at all. This is repeated all across the country. This government has completely wrecked the graduate market.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 89
    Forum Member
    I've been on JSA for a few months now, but unemployed longer :( Apparently, in a few weeks I'll be passed onto this New Deal thing, oh great...

Life is worth living.. isn't it?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've been on JSA for a few months now, but unemployed longer :( Apparently, in a few weeks I'll be passed onto this New Deal thing, oh great...

Life is worth living.. isn't it?

You'll end up on it for 3 months if you get your placement sorted out now. Don't wait the first 13 weeks, that gateway to work course is rubbish.You are so much better off if you get your placement sorted out.
  • Bonesy84Bonesy84 Posts: 5,741
    Forum Member
    think am coming to going on gateway to work god its a waste of time :mad:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bonesy84 wrote:
    think am coming to going on gateway to work god its a waste of time :mad:

Well why don't you get a placement sorted out? I know I keep going on about it, but you don't have to wait the first 13 weeks, once you're on New Deal you can just start a placement. Seems a lot better than waiting around and being forced to go on that stupid course.
  • Bonesy84Bonesy84 Posts: 5,741
    Forum Member
    cos am fed up on being on the dole not being able to fine anything so i think am gonna just find something anything to apply for