The Impossible

Comments

• Stupid_HeadStupid_Head Posts: 37,826
    Forum Member
    The scenes for the first half hour or so were just breathtaking. I wasn't as fussed on the dad and the other kids has to be said, I just wanted to watch more about the mother and eldest son.
  • asyousayasyousay Posts: 38,838
    Forum Member
    A wonderful film . If anybody should be nominated for awards it's Tom Holland as he was absoluty outstanding and it was his first film which makes it all that much more amazing .
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,035
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought it was an amazing film! So powerful
  • SarahJamSarahJam Posts: 522
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jonjons wrote: »
    What an amazing film, I just got back from it
    a 20 year old male student crying their eyes out the whole way through
    excellent production and acting
    a couple of annoyances with the ending of the story but it was so well executed it doesnt matter
    I really reccomend it

What were your couple of annoyances?

Just got back from seeing this film and I think I cried the whole way though basically. Brilliantly acted especially by Tom Holland.

Can't believe their story, amazing.
  • JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just watched this. Oh my god !. I don't think i've got any fingernails or tissues left :)

I'll spoiler this just in case ..
    When the two brothers found their older brother at the hospital, that just did me in ..

Amazing, amazing film. The recreation of the tsunami was just incredible.
  • koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    A very good film, had me holding back the tears a couple of times.

The worst bit was when we finally saw what the mother had been through when the wave hit. Rag doll comes to mind.
  • StansfieldStansfield Posts: 6,097
    Forum Member
    A very good film, had me holding back the tears a couple of times.

The worst bit was when we finally saw what the mother had been through when the wave hit. Rag doll comes to mind.
    I wasn't holding back, same with most of the packed Cinema I saw it in....and not just a couple of times.
  • XIVXIV Posts: 21,492
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It was a very good film although it did leave me a bit drained. Tom Holland was very good as was Naomi Watts. The effects were incredible considering it's a midbudget film.

Slightly spoilerish but Did anyone notice
    the naked man walking down as they were riding in the truck, did strike me as a odd thing to include
  • Sez_babeSez_babe Posts: 133,998
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Jonwo wrote: »
    It was a very good film although it did leave me a bit drained. Tom Holland was very good as was Naomi Watts. The effects were incredible considering it's a midbudget film.

the naked man walking down as they were riding in the truck, did strike me as a odd thing to include

I didn't notice that...
  • BlurayBluray Posts: 661
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I know the bit you're talking about but I don't recall him being naked. Are you sure?
    Forum Member
    Bluray wrote: »
    I know the bit you're talking about but I don't recall him being naked. Are you sure?
    Me too...and I'm sure he was.
    Just something that happened; ripped off by the Tsunami.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I also remember that bit and he definitely was naked.
  • BlurayBluray Posts: 661
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Can't believe I didn't notice he was naked - I thought he had trunks/shorts on
  • pjayem1964pjayem1964 Posts: 279
    Forum Member
    I went to see this film at the local Vue this afternoon. Powerful and very, very moving. 10/10.
  • boddismboddism Posts: 16,436
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jonwo wrote: »

I think this was to show that normal convention was torn apart (like clothes) after the tsunami. THe victims were going to see weird & unsettling things in the aftermath.

I wouldnt be surprised if that really happened either. I could perfectly see something like that happening after a major disaster. To me it seemed quite natural, although the boy seemed a bit taken aback by it...
  • XIVXIV Posts: 21,492
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    boddism wrote: »
    I think this was to show that normal convention was torn apart (like clothes) after the tsunami. THe victims were going to see weird & unsettling things in the aftermath.

I wouldnt be surprised if that really happened either. I could perfectly see something like that happening after a major disaster. To me it seemed quite natural, although the boy seemed a bit taken aback by it...

I imagine with the amount of water plus sharp objects, I suppose something like swimming trunks would likely just get caught and rip off.
  • circlebro2019circlebro2019 Posts: 17,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    saw it last night, missus was a blubbering wreck, i didnt get that sad for some reason even though it was such a horrible tragedy, just the film i guess.
    The scenes for the first half hour or so were just breathtaking. I wasn't as fussed on the dad and the other kids has to be said, I just wanted to watch more about the mother and eldest son.

i kinda lost a bit of interest when ewans story started and then i drifted abck into it near the end
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    apparently the tsunami sequence took a year of planning.
  • The AmbassadorThe Ambassador Posts: 5,631
    Forum Member
    Superb first half hour.
    Unfortunately knowing that they all survived before seeing the film somewhat lessened the impact of the mother going missing in the hospital and the inevitable reconciliation of the family before the end of the film.

7/10
    Forum Member
    Superb first half hour.
    Unfortunately knowing that they all survived before seeing the film somewhat lessened the impact of the mother going missing in the hospital and the inevitable reconciliation of the family before the end of the film.

7/10
    Didn't know anything about how it all turned out and only found out after the film, the Family were Spanish.
  • sarahj1986sarahj1986 Posts: 11,305
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Brilliant film, the tsunami scenes were amazing. You could almost feel what it was like to have been there. I felt the mothers pain with her injury. Well acted and well written. I cried twice!!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 35
    Forum Member
    Saw this last night at the flicks. Didn't think this movie was my cup of tea but I was very impressed.

As others have said the eldest kids acting was spot on! 9/10
  • davie1924davie1924 Posts: 2,140
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fantastic film. Took my 12 year old Godson to see it and was a wee bit worried that he'd find it a bit long. Not at all - he loved it as well!!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 134
    Forum Member
    Saw this film today and thought it was brilliant! Didn't cry as much as I thought I would though...but did phone my mum afterwards to tell her I loved her :cry:

I did however think some of the 'injury' scenes were too graphic for a 12A rating :eek:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 374
    Forum Member
    Just finished watching this. Absolutely incredible. Balled my little eyes out from start to finish. At one point i felt like switching it off as it was unbearable to watch, glad i stuck it out though!! So powerful and moving! - best film I have ever seen. I hope it gets the recognition it deserves during awards season! I never watch the same film twice but I would definitely watch it again. If you haven't seen it - go and see it.