214 in 2014

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,187
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Quite surprised that no one has got the ball rolling yet!

My goal for 2014 is 75 books.

Enjoy reading everyone, and remember it doesn't matter if others read a lot more that you, it's all about setting your own goal that's right for you and will keep the challenge enjoyable and not a chore!

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 932
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks for starting this :)
    I'll aim for 30 - seems perhaps a low total but there are a few things I want to achieve this year which might mean me spending some of my "reading time" doing other things!
    The big target for me is to persevere with books that don't initially grip me - I gave up on too many books last year.
    With that in mind, I've gone back to Game of Thrones, and hopefully I'll be able to chalk that up as number 1 on the list - just over halfway through at the moment.
  • GiraffeGirlGiraffeGirl Posts: 13,619
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm aiming for 80 again like last year, but my main goal is to read more non-fiction and books published before the twentieth century.

To this end, I'm currently re-reading The Hunger Games... whoops!

Good luck everyone :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,035
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm aiming for 75 this year. However, I am terrible at keeping track so we'll see!
  • d0lphind0lphin Posts: 25,329
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Aiming for 50 (ish)

1) Until you're mine - Sam Hayes 9/10 - love this book and especially the back story of the two detctives and their family life

2) The Rose Petal Beach - Dorothy Koomson 9/10 - another excellent book by Dorothy Koomson - the only reason it doesn't get 10 is that I preferred The Ice Cream Girls (the book of which was superior to the tv show)

Yes I know I'm cheating slightly by including books I have read since Christmas day!:blush:
  • Katie-JaneKatie-Jane Posts: 1,166
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I didn't quite get to 50 books last year so I am going to try again this year!

1) The Half-Life of Hannah by Nick Alexander
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 178
    Forum Member
    I was going to go for 52 but 2014 is the year I want to push myself so I'll up that go 104. I want to reread a few books this year but I also want to use the year to discover new authors.

I didn't go out yesterday so got my first book finished... 1 down 103 to go!!!

1. 12 Days of Christmas by Trisha Ashley

Happy reading folks!!!
  • Cellar_DoorCellar_Door Posts: 2,275
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    75 again for me. Almost got there last year.

1. The Goldfinch - Donna Tartt (I started reading it Xmas day but didn't count in my total for last year.)
  • Purple85Purple85 Posts: 12
    Forum Member
    #1 Two Faced by Mandasue Heller (I had a very lazy New Year's Day which is why I've finished one already!) I really enjoyed it.
  • moonlilymoonlily Posts: 7,876
    Forum Member
    I'll aim for 20 in 2014 as I often fall asleep while reading :)

1- Dr Sleep by Stephen King- loving this so far.
  • Sue_CSue_C Posts: 1,459
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I had a target of 50 books last year and actually read 69. I'll stick with a target of 50 again this year as I have a few doorstop reads in mind.

1. Oh, Whistle, and I'll Come to You, My Lad by M.R. James narrated by David Suchet.
    A Christmas present from Audible. It hardly counts as a book really as it's only about 50 minutes long. Quite creepy, excellent narration.
  • Button62Button62 Posts: 8,463
    Forum Member
    My target as always is 52, since joining in 4 years ago, last year was the only time I didn't make it.

Happy reading everyone, and remember, it's not a race, it's about your own personal enjoyment of reading, however many or few you manage.
  • sradiasradia Posts: 940
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have never set a target before,so I shall start with a manageable 50.

I'm also going to try to be a little more discerning at choosing my reading matter, I spent too much time last year coming to an end of a book with a feeling of disappointment; that it was just 'ok'. So I am going to put a little more thought into the books I choose to read.

1) Pride and Prejudice - Jane Austen

I read it about twenty years ago and loved it, it was even better than I remembered. :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,187
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    1. One by One by Chris Carter The 5th in the Robert Hunter series, brilliant twisted edge of your seat stuff.

One down, 74 to go!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 30,839
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My aim for 2014 is 50 books. I made it to 35 last year. I agree it's about the enjoyment of reading, not a competition. Hope everyone enjoys their reading this year. I am going to try to be bit more adventures this year..read some more classics, reread some of my favourite childhood books,and read some non fiction books.
  • OxfordGirlOxfordGirl Posts: 3,115
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love this forum!

1) The Pollyanna Plan - Talli Roland
    2) Hothouse Flower - Lucinda Riley
  • guestofsethguestofseth Posts: 5,303
    Forum Member
    Didn't bother with this last year, I only ended up reading 14 books anyway (after a late surge and some very short books.) Set myself an "achievable" goal of 36 books (3 a month), although I'm hoping to reach 72, while secretly dreaming of reaching 214.

1. Me and You - Niccolò Ammaniti - 6/10
    This left me feeling disappointed at first as I expected too much from it, I expected to relate to the main character far more than I did. However, the more I think about it the more it grows on me. Well written, but I think a few things got lost in the translation.
  • Sue_CSue_C Posts: 1,459
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    2.The Code of the Woosters by P. G. Wodehouse.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 113
    Forum Member
    I'll aim for 75 this year.

1. Sweet Temptation - Lucy Diamond. Enjoyable chick lit - a nice easy book to start the year with
  • SWW (SWW)SWW (SWW) Posts: 23,514
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    1. Ultimate Comics Ultimates 2013 - Sam Humpries, Josh Fialkov etc. 5/10
    Marvel Entertainment Group, 300 pages <Graphic Novel> Ultimate Comics Ultimates (volume 5) #18-30, post United We Stand, the Ultimate undergo 'Reconstruction' prior to the reportedly series ending (?) arc 'Disassembled'
    2. Ultimate Comics Spider Man 2013 - Brian Michael Bendis, Sara Pichelli, David Marquez etc. 7/10
    Marvel Entertainment Group, 308 pages <Graphic Novel> Ultimate Comics Spider Man (volume 2) #16-28, United We Stand, Point One, Venom War and Spider Man No More, debatedly the best complete Marvel series ever comes to an end? Brian Michael Bendis is a supremo in this genre.
    3. Ultimate Comics X--Men 2013 - Brian Wood, Cullen Bunn etc. 6/10
    Marvel Entertainment Group, 439 pages <Graphic Novel> Ultimate Comics X-Men (volume 2) #18.1-32. With the likes of Wolverine, Cyclops and Magneto all dead (for years), Wood and co. still manage to produce some great arcs centred round the remaining mutants trying to stay alive and eventually build their own home... Utopia.

4. The Darkness volume two - David Lapham, Paul Jenkins, David Wohl, Ron Marz 7/10
    Top Cow [Image Comics], 554 pages <Graphic Novel> The complete volume two of the series, which despite not having a regular creative team is quite good, and in my opinion outperforms Witchblade over the same period. Despite Lapham writing only one arc his idea of the Darklings getting impatient and at times opposing Jackie does really well for the franchise and moves the somewhat stagnant Darkness story on, from it being stuck in the Mafia world.

5. One Red Paperclip - Kyle MacDonald 6/10
    Ebury Press (Random House), 320 pages
    <Documentary> The true and wonderful and funny and interesting and zeitgeist tale of Kyle Macdonald setting out to turn one red paperclip into a house through mutual exchanges of goods and / or services. A true story with pictures and a book inspired by the blog Kyle used to document his journey... a worthwhile read, that kept me smiling throughout.

6. Weird Things Customers Say In Bookshops - Jen Campbell 7/10
    Constable (Constable & Robinson), 121 pages
    <Comedy documentary>
    Genuinely laugh out loud funny.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    3) Lost and Found - Tom Winter
  • Kitty5Kitty5 Posts: 84
    Forum Member
    Going to attempt 52 again this year. Only managed just over half that last year.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 178
    Forum Member
    2. Heart of the Matter by Emily Giffin.

Second book from this author I've read recently and enjoyed it. Her books are a tad slow paced but do tend to get you thinking.
  • Cellar_DoorCellar_Door Posts: 2,275
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    2. An Idiot Abroad The Travel Diaries of Karl Pilkington - Was pretty funny but the Gervais/Merchant interjections jarred a bit. I preferred the second series so will definitely pick up his follow up book.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    4) The Adultery Club - Tess Stimson
  • d0lphind0lphin Posts: 25,329
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    3. My Sister Lives on the Mantlepiece by Annabel Pitcher

9/10 Really enjoyed it, sad in places but thought provoking. I would have given it 10 but it was a YA book (which I hadn't realised before I started it) and the writing was a bit childish in places.