Direct Debit four days early.....Overdrawn!!!

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,486
Forum Member
HI, I just checked my NatWest account and my electric DD has come out 4 days early and my account is now overdrawn and I have just called the bank about it and they want me to go call back at nine and go through to lending. I get the feeling I will be charged 38 quid even though the bill is supposed to come out on the 10th. Am I OK? I have only just changed to Natwest and already something like this happens.

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,475
    Forum Member
    I'm with Lloyds TSB and very often direct debits that are due to leave my account on Mondays, go out on Sundays. The plus side is that money credited on Mondays goes in on a Sunday as well.

Could just be the same sort of thing as Tuesday is the next working day so I can't see you being charged for it as long as there will be more money credited to your account before Tuesday (ie electronically) to cover the shortfall.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,486
    Forum Member
    Just got through to bank and they are cool with it. Just don't like it when you think there is a date for your payment and then it is far too early.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 196
    Forum Member
    this happens sometimes...direct debits can come out early. I would talk to your bank and get the charge reversed. They'll prob do it considering the circumstances and especially as you are a switcher customer.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,675
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Whenever I arrange a direct debit I always ask for a date 3 or 4 days later than I want it to go, just in case they claim it early. With standing orders that doesn't happen.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,507
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm with NatWest, and if a DD is due on a Monday it will usually disappear from your account on a Friday.
    They WILL charge you irrespective of what they say on the phone, because they suck monkey anus and charge even if it isn't your fault.

Be prepared for an argument and a repeat of your bank charge saga. ;)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 28,673
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If mine is due out on the Monday then it comes out on the Monday. Im with the Bank of Scotland and i cant really recall a DD coming out early. Surely if its not due out till the 10th its not taken till then.... thats all a bit weird. Probably because its Easter and the banks will be closed.
  • gamercraiggamercraig Posts: 6,069
    Forum Member
    I think it's because Friday was a bank holiday and your account is showing the next working days transactions, which some banks do on a weekend or bank holiday.
    For example, my paydate is the 10th but because Natwest One operate the above method I could get my money out on Good Friday!
  • bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    HI, I just checked my NatWest account and my electric DD has come out 4 days early and my account is now overdrawn and I have just called the bank about it and they want me to go call back at nine and go through to lending. I get the feeling I will be charged 38 quid even though the bill is supposed to come out on the 10th. Am I OK? I have only just changed to Natwest and already something like this happens.

Hopefully they won't charge you. It's one of those things that sometimes hapens where bank hiolidays are involved, as the direct debiters get their money early.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 261
    Forum Member
    Im in exactly the same position. I went to go put money in my account yesterday knowing I had a dd coming out 2day, I did not realise the banks were shut yesterday but the money was already out my account. Took a mini-statement which said it was taken out on the 10th but obviously thats impossible as its already out my account! If the bank had been open yesterday I would have been fine as you can put money in by 3pm on the same day without a charge. Are they still able to give me the charge now? :confused:
  • MinnimoMinnimo Posts: 5,741
    Forum Member
    You are protected by the direct debit guarentee.

If you agree a date with a company for your payment to come out then that is the day it should leave your account. This is barring anything like weekends and bank holidays.

Now, it's up to the company when they pull it from your account. Either the working day before or after. And it also depends on whether they get it right or not as they have to do a run 3 days before they want it to leave your account.

If you happen to get charged by your bank for being overdrawn (and also keep an eye out for unautorised debit interest!) then you need to get in contact with this company and explain it to them.

This will show up on your statement and should you need that for anything like a mortgage in the future it won't look good for your credit with them. Because they look for overdrawn periods.

They should rightfully refund any charges into your account with an explanation of mischarged or something to that affect so if you DO need your statement then you can show that it was due to that company's error that you were overdrawn.

Hmmm....

So basically : Make sure you know the date that its supposed to be leaving on. If it was due to a bank holiday it was being taken out early then make sure it was the working day BEFORE the weekend/bank holiday as they are within their right to do this. If it's sooner than that then it's the company's fault and you should contact them. The bank have no control over DD's because you have signed a contract with a 3rd party authorizing this payment to leave.

They will sometimes let a debit leave to save you costs from the third company and the embarassment of it being rejected.

Sheesh that was a book....but I hope it helps a little! :rolleyes:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,486
    Forum Member
    Thanks for all your replies. :) It's cool though. I called them and I also put some money in this morning to cover it. i just didn't want another bank messing around with my money. :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 562
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm sure that in the direct debit agreement it says they can take the money out on the next bank working day, but not the one before, it it were to fall on a non working day. If you do get charged, kick up a fuss with the electric company and tell them to cover it since they shouldn't have taken it that early.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 160
    Forum Member
    The direct debit guarantee clearly states that if an error is made by the company taking the direct debit or your bank you are guaranteed a full and immediate refund fo the amount you paid.

To do this you go to your bank and do an indemnity claim. They will ten refund the money there and then and this will then be reclaimed from the company who took it. Apart from that it can take the company a few days to get the refund back andyou ma get extra charges.

Then send a copy of statement to the company showing charges and they will consider the situation!