Jimmy Saville to be revealed as a paedophile? (Part 7)

Comments

• skp20040skp20040 Posts: 66,872
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jimmy Savile: police apologise for blunders that left him free to abuse
    West Yorkshire force admits to mishandling intelligence, missing chances to stop paedophile decades ago
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2013/may/10/jimmy-savile-police-apologise-blunders

I can't see WYP can recover from this. If they'd fessed up, they would have got at least some respect.

However whilst some past officers may have screwed up most a long time ago does not mean all the current ones cannot come back from it.
  • StrmChaserSteveStrmChaserSteve Posts: 2,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bryemycaz wrote: »
    In principle yes I agree, I would hate for them to wipe the remaining TOTP episodes though. Edit his links out yes but not the songs. There is only 2 complete 60s episodes and they are both hosted by him.

I disagree with erasing these recordings

Why?

Evidence

Jim'll Fix It

Many times, he was putting the badge around kid's necks

Observant people, will notice, he takes his time.. allows him to touch them

It was blatant.. he wasn't even trying to hide it
  • Fred E StarFred E Star Posts: 1,693
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I disagree with erasing these recordings

Why?

Evidence

Jim'll Fix It

Many times, he was putting the badge around kid's necks

Observant people, will notice, he takes his time.. allows him to touch them

It was blatant.. he wasn't even trying to hide it

Tak about seeing things that aren't there!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 87,224
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
  • IzzySIzzyS Posts: 11,045
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Pandora 9 wrote: »
    When I heard about Jimmy having the police around to his flat for tea etc. I immediately thought crafty so and so. I think he was getting on their "good side" so if something did happen they would be on his side because he was such a *nice* friendly man. That is just my opinion because he came across as a devious individual to me.

That he does. When the news came on this evening, my mum commented she reckons he clearly kept them sweet (them = the police).

He seemed very devious indeed, what with talk of threatening others jobs etc., it seemed like he knew the dirt on most people he came across or worked with - it makes you wonder what they might be wanting to hide but then again, maybe not? maybe the truth is alot more mundane.

An independent inquiry would make alot of sense I think though, if it could investigate everything from what happened in the hospitals to at the BBC and the police handling and so on.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    59 pages and no apology: Anger at West Yorkshire Police report on Jimmy Savile affair which failed to address why officers were blinkered by his celebrity
    Victims’ lawyer hits out at 'pathetic' document that clears police of shielding TV idol

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/crime/59-pages-and-no-apology-anger-at-west-yorkshire-police-report-on-jimmy-savile-affair-which-failed-to-address-why-officers-were-blinkered-by-his-celebrity-8610277.html
  • skp20040skp20040 Posts: 66,872
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    59 pages and no apology: Anger at West Yorkshire Police report on Jimmy Savile affair which failed to address why officers were blinkered by his celebrity
    Victims’ lawyer hits out at 'pathetic' document that clears police of shielding TV idol

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/crime/59-pages-and-no-apology-anger-at-west-yorkshire-police-report-on-jimmy-savile-affair-which-failed-to-address-why-officers-were-blinkered-by-his-celebrity-8610277.html

I can understand peoples anger, I totally understand victims anger, the cynic in me says lawyers were hoping police would show a catalogue of coverups so they could sue them as well as places such as the BBC and get more of a cut of the victims payouts if and when they get any whilst I feel for victims the lawyers aren't in this out of the goodness of their hearts.

But I have to ask why are people so surprised the police were blinkered, they are humans and was the rest of the coiuntry also not taken in by him, the guy was clever that is what he did , conned people , pushed himself into high flying cirlces so he could hide in public and made everyone think "that Jimmy is fantastic, look what he does for charity, wont hear a word against him" and each time he managed that he set about his real work, one of the most "down to earth" whilst at the same time "elaborate" con men of our time.

I think the truth is far less dirty tricks and full of secrets than some want it to be which would be easier to make sense of, I just think he was a narcissist, incredibly devious and manipulative and conned us all.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Here we go again ...
    5 more celebs
    Tomorrow's Mirror
    https://twitter.com/suttonnick/status/332960926078730240/photo/1
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 17,021
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Here we go again ...
    5 more celebs
    Tomorrow's Mirror
    https://twitter.com/suttonnick/status/332960926078730240/photo/1

It says:
    "Two singers, two TV celebs and a comic."
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Spasmodic wrote: »
    Good post, AOTB.

1) I'm glad for those who don't understand why, I hope they and their loved-ones never end up in a situation where they do get to understand it. It would be nice though if they could just accept that years of nightmares, fear, shame and messed-up relationships as a result of such abuse were at least a possibility and that most abuse survivors are not interested in receiving any kind of financial recompense. Firstly because there is no money in the world that can give you back what was taken and secondly because it would truly be filthy lucre.

2) Abuse is subjective and what may just be something to shrug off for one person could be really frightening for another. I agree with AOTB that all instances should be investigated to get a complete picture and that these things should be left to the police and legal system. It's time to have an honest debate about attitudes towards sex and the abuse of power, because that, ultimately is what this kind of abuse is about.

I have to stop now before I go into a right angry rant.

I agree. Regarding the second point, I'm certain some things affect some people alot more than others. People have different personalities and mature at different ages, we're all individuals. Some may well be better able to shrug things off than others.

Some may have had body issues and self esteem issues before being assaulted or groped and such an act could have a somewhat profound effect on them, how they see themselves, how they think others will see them etc. I know how I felt after things - some people would laugh or shrug such things off and others take them to heart alot more. Its always been in the back of my mind that if I ever tried to get to know a guy, I'd have to explain why I'd feel uncomfortable getting close which is something I'd find quite difficult, even though it was pretty much my fault, I feel I let myself down badly, even though the other people were older and should have known better than to push me to talk about such things. I definitely still have shame over such things that happened 13-14 odd years ago, its a bit ridiculous but it is what it is, you cant necessarily help how you feel. I can only imagine how some people may have felt if they were assaulted as a young teen or younger, especially if it was out of the blue, thats pretty horrible :( I feel guilty for hinting at my own things because it cant really compare at all to what happened to his victims but its the only similar experience I've had and I know it affected me certainly to some extent - when the news hit late last year about all of this, it made me think about the men back then that I'd trusted and talked about things I shouldn't have and it made me very sad to think how much more hurt and upset the victims must feel who will have no doubt gone through much, much worse than me.

Its sad there's the risk some could be, as others fear, over exaggerating claims, trying to make money out of such things (note I said 'could be' and not are). I also wouldn't classify more minor assaults etc. as on the same level as child abuse or rape but I do think minor 'incidents' have the potential to have lasting effects for some, less self assured people (I hope this makes some sense? pardon my long posts again(!)). Each case should be taken on its own merits I suppose? I don't know.
    cynet2007 wrote: »
    Watching today's news he has now been accused of molesting a 5 year old!

Makes me stomach churn knowing this vile man was able to abuse so many people in front of police and hospital workers.

The thing they should do is wipe every recording ever made of this scum bag and remove his knighthood to go with it, as long as he keeps appearing on TV and being heard on radio his victims are suffering more for it.

To be fair, I doubt any broadcaster would decide to show footage of him on TV or on the radio anymore. The only exceptions likely would be when they show brief (unaudible?) clips during news segments about reports such as today.
    skp20040 wrote: »
    The mans dead, you can demolish his grave, you can remove a title, you can wipe music shows if you wish, all that means is people dont get to see bits of music ( I doubt anyone will rerun Jim'll Fix It ) , it doesn't punish him and will never put right what he did wrong

He was clever he hid in the most public way possible, a true narcissit who fooled most people , we can look to blame people some who are innocent as they were fooled like his viewers , instead of concentrating on how to punish a corpse it would be better to see if the victims can be helped even after all these years and look at ways to make sure no one can get away with it again so easily.

Agreed.
  • SpasmodicSpasmodic Posts: 189
    Forum Member

Thank you for posting that. Just brilliant!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    News at Ten
    Eli Ward claims the Archbishop of York failed to pass his claims that he'd been abused by the then Dean of Manchester, Robert Waddington, now dead, to the Police.
    http://www.itv.com/news/update/2013-05-10/church-abuse-victim-wants-apology/
    Forum Member
    IzzyS wrote: »
    I agree. Regarding the second point, I'm certain some things affect some people alot more than others. People have different personalities and mature at different ages, we're all individuals. Some may well be better able to shrug things off than others.

Some may have had body issues and self esteem issues before being assaulted or groped and such an act could have a somewhat profound effect on them, how they see themselves, how they think others will see them etc. I know how I felt after things - some people would laugh or shrug such things off and others take them to heart alot more. Its always been in the back of my mind that if I ever tried to get to know a guy, I'd have to explain why I'd feel uncomfortable getting close which is something I'd find quite difficult, even though it was pretty much my fault, I feel I let myself down badly, even though the other people were older and should have known better than to push me to talk about such things. I definitely still have shame over such things that happened 13-14 odd years ago, its a bit ridiculous but it is what it is, you cant necessarily help how you feel. I can only imagine how some people may have felt if they were assaulted as a young teen or younger :( its sad there's the risk some could be, as others fear, over exaggerating claims, trying to make money out of such things (note I said 'could be' and not are). I also wouldn't classify more minor assaults etc. as on the same level as child abuse or rape but I do think minor 'incidents' have the potential to leave people with effects, even if it doesn't for some, it might for other, less self assured people (I hope this makes some sense? pardon my long posts again(!)). Each case should be taken on its own merits I suppose? I don't know.

It does make sense, Izzy, and I agree that each case needs to be taken on its own merits. As I said in a previous post, the legal system needs to change the way it thinks about abuse and the qualitative damage it causes, rather than the current way of thinking, which is purely quantitative and based on property.

I think another thing about how abusive something is is that it depends on who is doing the touching. For instance, when I was a teenager if a boy of my own age had touched me inappropriately I'd have probably been angry and told him told him to eff off, then complained to all my mates about him. I might have been upset for a while, but I would have got over it pretty quickly. On the other hand, when I first started work there was a grope-y bloke in his 40s in the office and he made me feel really uncomfortable and unable to say anything because he was very senior to me and a manager. I felt very upset by that at the time and even now I feel creeped out by it when I think of it, even though it was many years ago now.

Ultimately abuse isn't really about sex, it's about power and anyone who tries to rush you or push you into something you don't want isn't worth knowing. It wasn't your fault and you weren't letting yourself down. I'm sorry that you feel shame and hope you can change that. As you said, they were older and should have known better.

People like Savile are all about the power. They enjoy seeing people suffer, not just as children, but as silenced adults. I have absolutely no doubt that Savile was an abuser, even before all the stuff kicked off in the press. I met him several times and I shudder when I think of the way he looked at me when I was about ten years old. Horrible man.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It does make sense, Izzy, and I agree that each case needs to be taken on its own merits. As I said in a previous post, the legal system needs to change the way it thinks about abuse and the qualitative damage it causes, rather than the current way of thinking, which is purely quantitative and based on property.

I think another thing about how abusive something is is that it depends on who is doing the touching. For instance, when I was a teenager if a boy of my own age had touched me inappropriately I'd have probably been angry and told him told him to eff off, then complained to all my mates about him. I might have been upset for a while, but I would have got over it pretty quickly. On the other hand, when I first started work there was a grope-y bloke in his 40s in the office and he made me feel really uncomfortable and unable to say anything because he was very senior to me and a manager. I felt very upset by that at the time and even now I feel creeped out by it when I think of it, even though it was many years ago now.

Ultimately abuse isn't really about sex, it's about power and anyone who tries to rush you or push you into something you don't want isn't worth knowing. It wasn't your fault and you weren't letting yourself down. I'm sorry that you feel shame and hope you can change that. As you said, they were older and should have known better.

People like Savile are all about the power. They enjoy seeing people suffer, not just as children, but as silenced adults. I have absolutely no doubt that Savile was an abuser, even before all the stuff kicked off in the press. I met him several times and I shudder when I think of the way he looked at me when I was about ten years old. Horrible man.

I think so but its also alot to do with manipulation, at least what I remember because with certain conversations you'd be told that basically you want to try this or to talk about this and that they have your best interests at heart, yadda yadda :rolleyes: what bothers me so much is that I felt I wasn't getting attention at school at the time and didn't want to talk about how lonely I felt with my family as I worried they'd feel they let me down, so I went elsewhere to find people who'd give me the time of day and compilment me but not too long after I realised people were basically too scared to make physical contact (this was all done online and by phone etc.) because they knew why they'd be visiting and worried they'd get in trouble from the authorities (this was pretty much said as such at one stage), I realised they were never that interested in me as a person and I realised I'd let my family and myself down, I disrespected them and all the rest of it.

If I went into too many details, I have no doubt people would label me a **** or some such but ultimately, I did what I did because to me what I wanted most was the basic conversations that started off with the other person seeming to care how I was, it just escalated alot from there because they knew I felt curious and boys my age didn't seem to notice me *cringe* and they wanted to help share something special and said they'd never hurt me but would always be there for me or whatever terms were used, ugh :rolleyes: I was 16 but even so, honestly, the whole thing was like, wrong, it just took me a while to see things as they really were. Such people say they'll give you this whole future, whatever you wanna hear but never have the what nots to even show up...got to love teenage naivety (on my behalf) seriously lol :rolleyes: I actually even tried to confront my mum earlier this year to say I wanted her to know I did some things I regret, when I was younger but she said she doesn't need to know and all that matters is that your youth is there for you to make mistakes and learn from them, if you don't then whats the point? so its fine, move on and I guess ill try - it was a relief to hear that in a way :) anyway enough melodramatics, ill shut up about that now :o

I definitely agree that alot of it is to do with authority and manipulation, as you said they like power and control maybe for some like Savile more so than the sexual side of it.
  • BorefestBorefest Posts: 9,557
    Forum Member
    Could the famous person who recently retired be connected with Yewtree?:eek:
  • muntamunta Posts: 18,285
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Borefest wrote: »
    Could the famous person who recently retired be connected with Yewtree?:eek:

Do you have any information or are you just throwing random accusations in the pot. It's a difficult enough situation without people making unfounded accusations.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Leeds hospital Savile inquiry in call for witnesses
    http://www.yorkshireeveningpost.co.uk/news/latest-news/top-stories/leeds-hospital-savile-inquiry-in-call-for-witnesses-1-5653124
    Yet again with a nasty gurning photo.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Forum Member
    I think so but its also alot to do with manipulation, at least what I remember because with certain conversations you'd be told that basically you want to try this or to talk about this and that they have your best interests at heart, yadda yadda :rolleyes: what bothers me so much is that I felt I wasn't getting attention at school at the time and didn't want to talk about how lonely I felt with my family as I worried they'd feel they let me down, so I went elsewhere to find people who'd give me the time of day and compilment me but not too long after I realised people were basically too scared to make physical contact (this was all done online and by phone etc.) because they knew why they'd be visiting and worried they'd get in trouble from the authorities (this was pretty much said as such at one stage), I realised they were never that interested in me as a person and I realised I'd let my family and myself down, I disrespected them and all the rest of it.

If I went into too many details, I have no doubt people would label me a **** or some such but ultimately, I did what I did because to me what I wanted most was the basic conversations that started off with the other person seeming to care how I was, it just escalated alot from there because they knew I felt curious and boys my age didn't seem to notice me *cringe* and they wanted to help share something special and said they'd never hurt me but would always be there for me or whatever terms were used, ugh :rolleyes: I was 16 but even so, honestly, the whole thing was like, wrong, it just took me a while to see things as they really were. Such people say they'll give you this whole future, whatever you wanna hear but never have the what nots to even show up...got to love teenage naivety (on my behalf) seriously lol :rolleyes: I actually even tried to confront my mum earlier this year to say I wanted her to know I did some things I regret, when I was younger but she said she doesn't need to know and all that matters is that your youth is there for you to make mistakes and learn from them, if you don't then whats the point? so its fine, move on and I guess ill try - it was a relief to hear that in a way :) anyway enough melodramatics, ill shut up about that now :o

I definitely agree that alot of it is to do with authority and manipulation, as you said they like power and control maybe for some like Savile more so than the sexual side of it.

That's really sad, Izzy and it sounds to me like you were being targetted. These type of people (men I assume from what you've said) look for people who are vulnerable and then test to see just how vulnerable someone is before they make their move. Jerry Sandusky is a case in point and this article describes it well - http://www.newyorker.com/arts/critics/atlarge/2012/09/24/120924crat_atlarge_gladwell. It sounds like you had a lucky escape, at least I hope you did, and I'm glad you were wise enough to realise that they were not genuine in their approach to you.

Your mum is right in that youth is for mistakes and learning from them, but if it still bothers you it may help to talk to someone about it. If you want some details of places to approach PM me.

I know from unfortunate experience that the manipulation is the worst bit. That's what stays with you, the "mind rape". They know what they're doing and as we get older and wiser we know what they're doing too. It has to stop.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jimmy Savile police to investigate actor, comedian, TV host and two pop stars as net widens
    11 May 2013 00:00
    Police have been inundated with calls in recent weeks from potential victims following coverage of Savile’s depraved *background

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/operation-yewtree-jimmy-savile-police-1881453#ixzz2Sw3u9SlG
  • i4ui4u Posts: 54,801
    Forum Member
    Are those outlines meant to represent the new list celeb suspects, is one of them female?

If it is then I think I could name her from that outline.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That's really sad, Izzy and it sounds to me like you were being targetted. These type of people (men I assume from what you've said) look for people who are vulnerable and then test to see just how vulnerable someone is before they make their move. Jerry Sandusky is a case in point and this article describes it well - http://www.newyorker.com/arts/critics/atlarge/2012/09/24/120924crat_atlarge_gladwell. It sounds like you had a lucky escape, at least I hope you did, and I'm glad you were wise enough to realise that they were not genuine in their approach to you.

Your mum is right in that youth is for mistakes and learning from them, but if it still bothers you it may help to talk to someone about it. If you want some details of places to
    approach PM me.

I know from unfortunate experience that the manipulation is the worst bit. That's what stays with you, the "mind rape". They know what they're doing and as we get older and wiser we know what they're doing too. It has to stop.

Thank you - I expect to get flack when I post about it. I only do as its the only way ive known such sort of similar people I suppose. I had issues before then though, I think.

I really dont feel I could talk about it outloud to be honest - I'd be far too embarrassed and I find it hard to talk to strangers in person - I have a phobia of talking on the phone too. The only place I really communicate with people other than my parents is online.

Yes, I remember being told by someone that he didnt think a 16 year old could be so sensual and that they couldnt help but fall for me, in a way that made it seem like it was my fault because I remember they said they wouldnt have taken notice of someone so young usually but when they started talking to me online they were so attracted to how mature I sounded and so on - pah! I do feel to blame because I could have blocked them but at first I was just looking for someone to talk to that I thought I could hopefully trust. If they knew my age early on and wouldnt normally engage in conversation then why did they? I wonder(!). Its so seedy - yuck. I hate that people can try and turn it on you. How any teen can be really sensual and so on I have no idea - its laughable...i barely knew how to flirt and I dont really know how to talk around guys now anyway. I really hope schools teach more about what to be wary of, how to recognise such people by how they change conversations and give over the top compliments etc.

Did something happen to you? Im sorry :(
  • ButterfaceButterface Posts: 2,709
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That he does. When the news came on this evening, my mum commented she reckons he clearly kept them sweet (them = the police).

He seemed very devious indeed, what with talk of threatening others jobs etc., it seemed like he knew the dirt on most people he came across or worked with - it makes you wonder what they might be wanting to hide but then again, maybe not? maybe the truth is alot more mundane.

He did what most intelligent, predatory people do - he played and manipulated everyone he met for his own nefarious purposes.
    There was clearly reason and method in him befriending so many Police Officers, Politicians and members of the Royal family.
This discussion has been closed.