Wembely Arena

SamthefootballSamthefootball Posts: 4,420
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Will Strictly be at Wembley again this year. i think the last 2 years have been great going to that arena :)

Comments

• *Topaz**Topaz* Posts: 4,263
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Although I don't think they've said anything yet about Wembley unfortunately I suspect there will be another show there.

I wish they'd give it a break for this year or go to Blackpool instead - but I think they've hyped Wembley up so much for the past few years they think they have to make it 'bigger' and 'better' each time. I think Wembley is something you have good seats for & be there to experience. It doesn't come across well on the small screen imo.
  • kayceekaycee Posts: 12,037
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I agree with Topaz - I wish they'd give Wembley as miss.

Even the best celebs are not good enough dancers to fill such a big space; last year's show ended up looking like a really poor quality circus.
  • kp2nikp2ni Posts: 1,641
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think they should definitely go back to Blackpool and then possibly go to an arena but maybe not wembley. An arena possibly a smaller / better suited arena outside London would be a nice idea.
  • Sue_HowarthSue_Howarth Posts: 1,056
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think it makes sense to have a change of venue at the half way point. It can get a bit dull weeding out the MOR clebs so the themes and changes mix it up and keep a momentum going
    I enjoyed the final at the beeb last year, I thought everybody seemed calmer and could focus on the final dances.
    Blackpool at half way for me. Wembly does not translate so well on live TV, There were problems the previous year with the distance so what about somewhere closer. Brighton maybe?
  • PashultyPashulty Posts: 9,384
    Forum Member
    Blackpool would be amazing I think.. I had never been there before until a few weeks ago for one of Pasha and Katya's appearances there... Its a stunning venue and comes across quite well on TV as well... would be great if they did a show there...bonus would be to get tickets for it.. ;):D
    But definitely don't like Wembley...don't want to watch a circus there...:rolleyes::p....as mentioned before a smaller arena would be great!!!
  • mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,307
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Blackpool is not on the agenda due to this:
    An episode of the BBC One show has been beamed live from the seaside resort’s Tower Ballroom for the past three years.

However, the corporation said the 10th series will not visit Blackpool because relocating for just one weekend is a costly undertaking.

“Strictly has enjoyed a fabulous relationship with Blackpool over the years but it’s a mammoth logistical exercise and on this occasion the decision has been taken to put resources into other areas of the show,” a spokesman said.
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/tvandradio/strictly-come-dancing/9461781/Strictly-Come-Dancing-deserts-Blackpool.html
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mossy2103 wrote: »

The article is from last year and while it makes 'interesting' reading, it does say this at the end of the article though.
    A spokesman said the BBC had not ruled out a return to Blackpool for the 2013 series.

I still reckon there's only a slim chance of them returning to Blackpool because they seem to want to put resources into Wembley now :( Hope I'm proved wrong!
  • olivejolivej Posts: 14,696
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    having been lucky enough to go to Wembley twice, I have to say the atmosphere is electric and it really is a totally amazing experience to be there BUT I can totally understand and see why it doesnt work at all well for people watching on the tv

I am hoping they return to Blackpool at some point - fingers crossed its this year :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 482
    Forum Member
    I like the Wembley show it puts a different pressure on for that week!
  • tallulahulatallulahula Posts: 440
    Forum Member
    the point about wembley is that somany more people get to see a live show
  • BRITLANDBRITLAND Posts: 3,443
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why not film the entire series in Blackpool?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BRITLAND wrote: »
    Why not film the entire series in Blackpool?
    In one word - cost.

In addition to which, the venue would have to be free for Fridays & Saturdays for maybe 14 consecutive weeks - a tall order
  • holly berryholly berry Posts: 14,287
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It sounds as though Wembley is a good experience for people who attend the llive event but it's a poor experience for the television viewer.

I, too, would like to see Blackpool's Tower Ballroom being used because of its historical and ongoing connection with ballroom dancing.

The state (last Labour government) forced the BBC to move to Salford - surely it can't be that expensive to get a production team to travel an hour or so down the motorway to film a special?

Of course, the celebs and dancers probably want to stay in London where most of them are based.

**** them - we're paying their wages!

Stick the celebs and dances in a coach - not that expensive, especially as they need to do it to boost their careers in the first place.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The state (last Labour government) forced the BBC to move to Salford - surely it can't be that expensive to get a production team to travel an hour or so down the motorway to film a special?
    The production team is not simply any old team of people though, they would be the normal team that works on the programme in London, so would be London-based. To use Salford people would I guess man bringing in all new people who have never worked on the show before.
    Of course, the celebs and dancers probably want to stay in London where most of them are based.

**** them - we're paying their wages!
    And if that were the case, then any forced move to Salford would be likely to
    backfire as potential celebs and pros pull away from the programme.
    Stick the celebs and dances in a coach - not that expensive, especially as they need to do it to boost their careers in the first place.
    Treat 'em like cattle for 12/14 weeks, and see how many celebs & pros want to sign up in future years.

And that ignores any existing weekday commitments that the celebs have (like broadcasting, radio presenting etc), so you start to seriously drain the pool of potential celebs.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    the point about wembley is that somany more people get to see a live show

But for the few hundreds more that can get to Wembley there's still the millions at home that can't!

I just find it absurd that that those involved in the show hype it up so much as if it's a great televisual experience when it's not! It's only a great experience for those fortunate enough to be able to attend.

As has been said before if they want to do a 'big event' they should broadcast it from a venue that translates better to the small screen.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    *Topaz* wrote: »
    But for the few hundreds more that can get to Wembley there's still the millions at home that can't!

I just find it absurd that that those involved in the show hype it up so much as if it's a great televisual experience when it's not! It's only a great experience for those fortunate enough to be able to attend.

As has been said before if they want to do a 'big event' they should broadcast it from a venue that translates better to the small screen.

more like a few thousand Topaz ;):D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    olivej wrote: »
    more like a few thousand Topaz ;):D

Sorry never been to Wembley arena but you're right it's a huge arena that can fit thousands more than Blackpool - but it's still much less than the millions who watch the substandard broadcast of the strictly 'Wembley experience' from home ;)
  • PashultyPashulty Posts: 9,384
    Forum Member
    Sorry never been to Wembley arena but you're right it's a huge arena that can fit thousands more than Blackpool - but it's still much less than the millions who watch the substandard broadcast of the strictly 'Wembley experience' from home ;)

I seem to be following you Topaz :rolleyes::p as I agree with you on this as well.. :)
  • kayceekaycee Posts: 12,037
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Personally I would prefer that they kept the whole series in the studio. That way, more attention is given to the dancers, and less to the venue.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I would still prefer it to be live from Blackpool although tbh when I saw the broadcast from there too it wasnt as great as the tv studio - Strictly do appear to struggle with getting the broadcast "right" for the tv viewer when they are not in the studio

The ONLY reason I would go for Wembley is JUST to give thousands more fans the chance to experience the show live - we all know what its like to TRY and get tickets to the studio - impossible!!!!!
  • MonksealMonkseal Posts: 12,008
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I thought Series 10's iteration of Wembley was light years more watchable than Series 9's (not difficult, I know). If a similar level of improvement this year it might even be quite fun.