Should X Factor have Live Audience of Closed Auditions?

PorkchopExpressPorkchopExpress Posts: 5,534
Forum Member
My own personal view is that the Live Audience auditions are totally unneccessary and actually less entertaining. I don't know why X Factor persists with it. Is it a revenue stream? I'm not sure how it would be.

What's your view? Poll attached also.

Live Audience Auditions or Closed Auditions? 260 votes

Live Audience
11% 29 votes
Closed
88% 231 votes

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,747
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Closed.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 717
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Closed.

and the judges and the home audience should see at least ten times as many auditions.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,275
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I miss the closed auditions where the judges aren't guided by the crowd and we can't see gurning audience members.
  • Mr JazzmanMr Jazzman Posts: 2,576
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I voted closed.

For the record though, I found the Voice very dull due to the fact we saw so many auditions and the XFactor has been much easier to watch. We could have seen auditions instead of the staged conversations though - terrible idea that.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,945
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bit of a no-brainer this one, innit?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,324
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Closed.

YouTube an audition episode from 2004 - 2008 and just look at the difference.

- Acts get, on average, three minutes each, NOT 10 :sleep:
    - Dozens of montages per episode
    - We got to see so many more acts than we do now. 10 acts through after two episodes? Over two hours worth of auditions and only 10 acts through? Three of those acts were in a montage, too! It's a joke. Would never happen with closed auditions
    - Straight to the point. No scripted chats, no filming from home, just very little filler
    - Joke acts are hilarious because we don't get 4,000 people chanting "off" and booing them
    - The interaction between the judges is great, especially when it comes to the joke acts!

That's just a few points as to why closed auditions are so much better than a live audience.

It really needs to be changed back :(
  • SillyBillyGoatSillyBillyGoat Posts: 22,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Closed. The audience is annoying enough in the live shows, nevermind the auditions too.
  • dylanpartyondylanpartyon Posts: 11,853
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I liked the open auditions for the first couple times. Would like it to go back now though as Im over it!!
  • Patti-AnnPatti-Ann Posts: 22,747
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Definately closed ;)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,283
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Closed like in the old days
  • Nobby BurtonNobby Burton Posts: 1,869
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Closed

I detest the audience
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 27
    Forum Member
    I think it depends on the act. Some of them really suit the crowd auditions and it often gives a real feel good vibe around it. But the really bad acts are usually better in the closed auditions because the judges reactions are priceless. We don't really get to hear Louis' mutley laughs anymore!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10
    Forum Member
    Oh definitely closed. Going back and watching old clips, its like a different show, a far superior one too.
  • Dreammaster695Dreammaster695 Posts: 1,353
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    closed
  • gcmacgcmac Posts: 4,020
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I definitely preferred closed auditions, they allowed the judges to have more of a giggle and feel closer to the contestants.
    I hate when the audience chant 'off' and when they influence the judges to put through funny but rubbish acts.
    I wish even if they keep the audience auditions that they stop doing such a big lead up to the each contestant and then we hardly get to see anyone.
  • pothuthicpothuthic Posts: 47,099
    Forum Member
    I prefer live :o
  • Luke_FawcettLuke_Fawcett Posts: 478
    Forum Member
    Ok maybe Closed in the sense we see more, fair point.

But I for one may be Biased when I say I think I prefer live because I actually go to the Auditions BUT I do honestly think its also important to see what the public make of it because half the time when you're there the audience either completely agree or disagree with the Judges and I think for certain contestants (Especially Lucy Spraggan on Saturday) their auditions wouldn't be as powerful + I like the fact they can sing in an earned with a mic/backing track etc.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ok maybe Closed in the sense we see more, fair point.

But I for one may be Biased when I say I think I prefer live because I actually go to the Auditions BUT I do honestly think its also important to see what the public make of it because half the time when you're there the audience either completely agree or disagree with the Judges and I think for certain contestants (Especially Lucy Spraggan on Saturday) their auditions wouldn't be as powerful + I like the fact they can sing in an earned with a mic/backing track etc.

The crowd would respond brilliantly to anyone who could sing in tune
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The bad auditions were funnier in a closed environment with just the judges
  • SoppyfanSoppyfan Posts: 29,911
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I prefer live audience cause like someone said it depends on the act. Scott Bruton is a prime example of someone who can audition in a closed room but not do well in front of an audience.
  • Mr Hunny BunnyMr Hunny Bunny Posts: 624
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Live.

Closed is weird and seedy.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 27
    Forum Member
    Order wrote: »
    Closed.

YouTube an audition episode from 2004 - 2008 and just look at the difference.

- Acts get, on average, three minutes each, NOT 10 :sleep:
    - Dozens of montages per episode
    - We got to see so many more acts than we do now. 10 acts through after two episodes? Over two hours worth of auditions and only 10 acts through? Three of those acts were in a montage, too! It's a joke. Would never happen with closed auditions
    - Straight to the point. No scripted chats, no filming from home, just very little filler
    - Joke acts are hilarious because we don't get 4,000 people chanting "off" and booing them
    - The interaction between the judges is great, especially when it comes to the joke acts!

That's just a few points as to why closed auditions are so much better than a live audience.

It really needs to be changed back :(

I think the lack of contestants now is a reponse to The Voice, but the key difference is they didn't have many more than 40 people auditioning, whereas X Factor has hundreds.

I went to two sets of auditions last year, and at one of the sittings only 3 contestants were shown and they were in montages. That was 17 auditionees I know of that have gone to waste. None were great but weren't bad either, but it could've filled another minute or two in a more entertaining way.
  • intoxicationintoxication Posts: 7,059
    Forum Member
    Closed. With all the changes being made to the show, I'm surprised this one hasn't been made. I suppose it's because they want people to feel like they're involved in the show and a live crowd helps achieve that? But it's not as fun, the judges just openly laugh at the crap people now whereas before it was funny to watch them try and contain themselves. And yes, the 'off off off' chanting is very annoying.

Plus, I liked how it was a build up - closed audition, then boot camp with just the other contestants watching them, then judges houses with their mentor and celebrity guest watching them, and then finally live shows with the audience. Now it's not as special in the live shows because we've already seen them live in the auditions where the venue is bigger and so is the audience
  • tremetreme Posts: 5,445
    Forum Member
    Definitely closed. It also adds to the feel of "building up" to something for the contestants. They did the closed audition, then the empty auditorium at boot camp, judges houses, and THEN they were put in front of the live audience after the makeover for the live finals. To use a cliche of the show, it was indeed more of a "journey", and a better show for it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,328
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Much prefer the closed auditions!!