What is the purpose of the 'deluxe' of an album?

Kuda_KunakaKuda_Kunaka Posts: 2,703
Forum Member
✭✭✭
1. What even is it? Get 2 more songs? why not just put them on the normal album
2. Does it not split the sales of the real album, cause some people will be buying the deluxe?
Why do artists have this?

Comments

• LMLM Posts: 63,250
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have always wondered if it was a ploy for the die hard fans to buy two copies of the album. I know loads of Gaga and One direction fans who did it.
  • boddismboddism Posts: 16,436
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    To grab more money from fans by adding a couple of crap songs onto an album??
    Seems that way to me!
  • manickangaroomanickangaroo Posts: 1,427
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    boddism wrote: »
    To grab more money from fans by adding a couple of crap songs onto an album??
    Seems that way to me!

Spot on.
  • kryskryskryskrys Posts: 3,322
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think it's so they can get away with charging £12+ for the deluxe. They know the fans will buy it regardless of the cost. Whereas casual listeners won't want to pay that much, so rather than turn those potential buyers away, the labels sell 'budget' editions of the album for a cheaper price. Then you have super-deluxe/boxset editions that sell for £30+ for the super-fans.

I think it's like in supermarkets with value, regular and premium ranges of food. They want to get as much money from people as possible, but they don't want to turn away people who can't afford (or don't want) to spend as much.
  • glyn9799glyn9799 Posts: 7,391
    Forum Member
    If an artist offers a deluxe I'll usually buy it over the standard. I always prefer a bonus CD over a DVD though. Does anybody watch bonus DVDs more than once (if at all)? One of the better deluxes was Gagas 'Born This Way' (3 bonus tracks and a 6 track CD). Not sure why anybody would buy the standard edition to be honest.

I would never buy both.
  • AdzPowerAdzPower Posts: 4,861
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Money.
  • iseloidiseloid Posts: 9,392
    Forum Member
    Songs which don't fit into an original album listing's theme generally. Sometimes they're going to be singles later on to sell the album ie Super Bass (which it did wonders putting Nicki into the pop charts here).
  • dodger0703dodger0703 Posts: 1,957
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't mind if they are brought out on the same day, but not months down the line. At least on the day you have a choice, but months down the line some fans will feel obliged to buy the deluxe one also
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,100
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    iseloid wrote: »
    Songs which don't fit into an original album listing's theme generally. Sometimes they're going to be singles later on to sell the album ie Super Bass (which it did wonders putting Nicki into the pop charts here).

This. A lot of artists who have extra songs they really wanted for the album, but didn't flow well get tacked on with the Deluxe Version. Mac Miller's nee album is like that. JTs album was like that and many more. It isn't always a marketing ploy. Sometimes the label doesn't want songs on the album that the artist really wants so they add them after.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sjp07 wrote: »
    This. A lot of artists who have extra songs they really wanted for the album, but didn't flow well get tacked on with the Deluxe Version. Mac Miller's nee album is like that. JTs album was like that and many more. It isn't always a marketing ploy. Sometimes the label doesn't want songs on the album that the artist really wants so they add them after.

They could do an EP with the other songs
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dodger0703 wrote: »
    They could do an EP with the other songs

They could, but it often isn't enough material. Who wants an EP with three songs when you can just give it all at once? Plus, a deluxe edition is usually only two more dollars than the standard whereas an EP would be about four or five.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sjp07 wrote: »
    They could, but it often isn't enough material. Who wants an EP with three songs when you can just give it all at once? Plus, a deluxe edition is usually only two more dollars than the standard whereas an EP would be about four or five.

I was meaning on top of the original album somebody owns, Metallica did this with Death Magnetic, months down the line they sold 4 extra tracks and not the whole album again
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 134
    Forum Member
    It seems to me is that the purpose is to get as much money from the dedicated fans.
  • cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    I think it's so the record companies can make more money as die-hard fans are more likely to buy the deluxe album than casual fans. I only buy deluxe albums if there are extra songs on it not on the standard edition. If the extras on the deluxe are just remixes or videos and no extra tracks then I don't really bother as a lot of the videos are probably available on Youtube anyway.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dodger0703 wrote: »
    I was meaning on top of the original album somebody owns, Metallica did this with Death Magnetic, months down the line they sold 4 extra tracks and not the whole album again

Deluxe versions typically come out the same day as the standard. I'm all for that. Rereleases are a bit annoying, though. I guess it isn't that big of a deal since you can download them separately on iTunes, but sometimes you can't.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,143
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The store I buy some albums from often doesn't even sell the standard version if the only difference is a few tracks. They just sell the deluxe for the same price.
  • swordofomensswordofomens Posts: 267
    Forum Member
    I prefer killer and no filler and 9 times out of 10 I think deluxes have filler on them.
  • ritchie2ykritchie2yk Posts: 5,550
    Forum Member
    Anyone that would buy both is utterly ridiculous
  • Hav_mor91Hav_mor91 Posts: 17,183
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't mind them if:

A) it's a bonus disc with some extra songs, acoustics, and demo's
    B) no Re-Release later on.

But other than that generall not much point. The songs never fit with the main albums theme and feel tacked on. and charging Like JT's new album £3 or more for extra songs is rediculous. And even wors eif the album is then re-released.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,074
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i don`t mind it if like a previous poster said both are released the same day
    i generally just buy deluxe editions anyway, very rare i buy a standard edition.
    it does annoy me a little if they have different bonus songs for different countries

i see re releases like 9 / 10 month down the line as a way to keep the artist in the spot light a little more whilst they are away working on the next studio album
  • ShaunIOWShaunIOW Posts: 11,300
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    glyn9799 wrote: »
    If an artist offers a deluxe I'll usually buy it over the standard. I always prefer a bonus CD over a DVD though. Does anybody watch bonus DVDs more than once (if at all)? One of the better deluxes was Gagas 'Born This Way' (3 bonus tracks and a 6 track CD). Not sure why anybody would buy the standard edition to be honest.

I would never buy both.

It depends on the DVD - if just a making off with interviews I never bother, but in some cases its a live show - Judas Priest British Steel 30th Anniversary Deluxe Edition for example had 2 extra tracks on the main album, a CD of the album played live and a DVD video of the live show.

I think another reason for deluxe editions is to encourage sales when the album is released - with me unless I'm a really big fan or the deluxe edition has something worthwhile then I'll wait a few months till the album drops in price or is in a sale.
  • mrkite77mrkite77 Posts: 5,386
    Forum Member
    The deluxe edition comes with cheese and pickles..
  • thewaywardbusthewaywardbus Posts: 2,738
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It depends on the artist really

two deluxe editions that have been released this year include

Eels - Wonderful, Glourious. This had 4 new tracks (including a couple that are the best on the album) and 7 live/session tracks

Frank Turner - Tape Deck Heart. This had 8 new tracks, all good

It's just a way to get songs which would previously have been released as b-sides out to the fans.

If people had bought each of the singles to get the added tracks it would have cost more than buying the deluxe edition. It is generally only £3 or £4 more expensive, about the cost of an EP.

If you are a fan buy the deluxe, if you are a casual listener buy the standard. simple as that really
  • barlowconnorbarlowconnor Posts: 38,120
    Forum Member
    So the artist tries to make more money.
  • TheshaneTheshane Posts: 1,815
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Its money grabbing tactic.
    If the extra songs were so damn good to begin with then the artist would have made sure they'd have been on the album in the first place.