DVI-I to Component

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,078
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I'm looking for confirmation of something I suspect is not possible without it being the best option.

Basically, am moving from XBox to PC for gaming. My Graphics card is twin DVI, HDMI and Display Port.

I have a component input game capture device. It has been reliable and it's HDMI version seems to be not as robust. I can't make a digital output connect to it without some intermediate hardware transcoding device.

However, the driver release speaks of the possibility of component signal over DVI-I and to refer to the Control Panel in the driver (it is a MSI GTX650Ti BE OC 2GB). Unfortunately, although I have looked, the options only exist for the detected connection (DVI and HDMI work fine, VGA is possible with an adaptor over DVI-I, the other DVI connector is DVI-D only). The release notes state that my intented type of connection is deprecated. I thought things would become evident once the card and driver was installed. I have googled and found that GTX460 is capable, but can find nothing to suggest 'newer' cards can.

I can buy a reasonably cheap DVI-Component cable. Rather than waste a few pounds more, I guess I would pose the question.

What I guess I'm asking is, has anyone tried this successfully or am I faced with replacing the capture device?

Comments

• chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If the card doesn't have the ability to switch the VGA output to Component then you are probably stuffed. The VGA output is the obvious candidate for the component output as both are analogue and use three primary video signals.

You might find a VGA to component video converter cheaper than a DVI to component converter. And one of those might be easier to find than a video capture device with digital inputs!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,078
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    chrisjr wrote: »
    If the card doesn't have the ability to switch the VGA output to Component then you are probably stuffed. The VGA output is the obvious candidate for the component output as both are analogue and use three primary video signals.

You might find a VGA to component video converter cheaper than a DVI to component converter. And one of those might be easier to find than a video capture device with digital inputs!

Yes, but although VGA is analogue, it's RGB not YPbPr so it isn't compatible without h/w transcoding also.
  • chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I did actually say that you might find a VGA to Component Video converter cheaper than a DVI converter.

If the capture device can be switched to RGB then one possibility might be a VGA to RGB lead. Not exactly sure how well they perform but I have seen such leads advertised on the likes of Amazon for under a fiver. So not a huge amount to risk if it doesn't work.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    chrisjr wrote: »
    I did actually say that you might find a VGA to Component Video converter cheaper than a DVI converter.

If the capture device can be switched to RGB then one possibility might be a VGA to RGB lead. Not exactly sure how well they perform but I have seen such leads advertised on the likes of Amazon for under a fiver. So not a huge amount to risk if it doesn't work.

Without wanting to sound ungrateful for your assistance, I have specifically asked if someone who has tried using a similar cable in the exact same circumstance had success.

If I need a hardware transcoder, the answer is in my question - to get a HDMI capture device. Not preferred for the reasons given, but that was what I was asking.

:)
  • TheBigMTheBigM Posts: 13,125
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Displayport can also do analogue video? Perhaps you can get a displayport-something adaptor?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TheBigM wrote: »
    Displayport can also do analogue video? Perhaps you can get a displayport-something adaptor?

Nice suggestion. Displayport to HDMI, DVI and VGA with passive dongles.

Wikipedia suggests it is possible, but I'm struggling to find anything that is DP to Component.

Finally found this. Not possible.

http://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/2389/kw/dvi%20to%20component
  • TheBigMTheBigM Posts: 13,125
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    To be honest, at this point, component is a deprecated technology so you will eventually be replacing your capture device anyway.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TheBigM wrote: »
    To be honest, at this point, component is a deprecated technology so you will eventually be replacing your capture device anyway.

Found a converter much cheaper than expected (£25), cable would have been £7 anyway.