Sam Bailey is overrated.

JustArunJustArun Posts: 8,941
Forum Member
Yes she sings exceptionally well, but last I checked this isn't 'The Voice UK'. She reminds me of Leanne Mitchell winner of the first series of The Voice UK. There's also the fact that if she does win, the recording process will see her leaving her family for quite a bit and I don't think she wants that.

Comments

• David_MorganDavid_Morgan Posts: 1,513
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What everybody seems to be saying is the SB has a great voice and is personable - though not overly charismatic. To me, that sounds accurate and doesn't overrate her at all.

Perhaps she can win on just having a good voice - it may be enough.
  • Nastyman69Nastyman69 Posts: 4,497
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Personally I think she is fantastic and will get some sort of deal but I don't think she'll be successful like many people on here claim
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 947
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I doubt Sam Bailey has ambitions of being some massive superstar to be honest. I think she would be quite content with releasing a cover album, doing a bit of gigging and making a tidy sum of money for her family whilst getting some recognition for her talent at the same time.

Not what Syco want.
  • Molly BloomMolly Bloom Posts: 2,318
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I generally like her but I thought her performance of New York, New York was dreadful. It was just bellowing. Shouting the lyrics does not automatically make a good performance and I thought the judges praise of her was ridiculously over the top.

However, if she released an album after the show I would probably listen to it. I've enjoyed her singing apart from this week, which was too Tesco Mary for my tastes.
  • GibsonSGGibsonSG Posts: 23,681
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JustArun wrote: »
    Yes she sings exceptionally well, but last I checked this isn't 'The Voice UK'. She reminds me of Leanne Mitchell winner of the first series of The Voice UK. There's also the fact that if she does win, the recording process will see her leaving her family for quite a bit and I don't think she wants that.

Surely when looking at the winner of a singing competition the vocal should have some bearing on the issue. The much trotted out "this isn't the Voice" is getting tiring. No it isn't and I agree image and stage presence come into it but first and foremost there is the vocal.
  • my name is joemy name is joe Posts: 4,450
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i think calling someone overrated is the most overrated critique it's possible to make of someone
  • mrsgrumpy49mrsgrumpy49 Posts: 10,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    GibsonSG wrote: »
    No it isn't and I agree image and stage presence come into it but first and foremost there is the vocal.
    I actually think she has been improving in this. Imo there is something emerging which is more than just them prettying her up.
  • TreewatcherTreewatcher Posts: 1,996
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Loved her from her first audition and she continues to sing better than anyone else. I didn't like Leanne from The Voice much so there really is no comparison between those two. She's not over-rated - she is being appreciated by those who know good music when they hear it.
  • Roland MouseRoland Mouse Posts: 9,531
    Forum Member
    Yes maybe she should wiggle her bum about, dance with dwarves and light up a joint to appeal to the vacuous kiddies as they are clueless about actual singing. :rolleyes:
  • Roland MouseRoland Mouse Posts: 9,531
    Forum Member
    i think calling someone overrated is the most overrated critique it's possible to make of someone

And begs the question why are they not rating singers on singing in a singing competition but instead on how Kool day Iz? :rolleyes:
  • earldbestearldbest Posts: 3,894
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In theory, everyone is overrated.
  • duncannduncann Posts: 11,969
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sam was great in get auditions before the cheap makeover and Sharon choosing the Streisand/Minnelli/Dion back catalogue to sing. If you look back on YouTube I think you can see an earthier more real, throaty singer with a bit of edge who could sell a few albums. Mist music purchasers are over 40. Middle of the road sells slower but longer and for higher prices. It will all depend on Sycophants and if they put as much effort into her releases as they did for Subo.
  • shelleyj89shelleyj89 Posts: 16,292
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Last time I watched The Voice, the blind auditions aside, it wasn't too disimilar from X Factor.

I don't see that she's overrated. She's getting justified praise for being an excellent singer.
  • stash22stash22 Posts: 5,370
    Forum Member
    Shes an excellent singer and she has shown that she can rise to the challenge of performing well in all the different themes she has been given. I would be interested to see her take on a more modern song, she said she would like to see a Beyonce or Rhianna song so I hope she will in future weeks. People keep comparing her to Mary, but I didnt think Mary was so good in the upbeat numbers and she struggled with the changing themes - Sam doesnt have that problem.
  • foxy23foxy23 Posts: 4,391
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There is no denying she is a very good singer, but a star? Time will tell. She'd be great in theatre, but I really don't think she would set the charts alight!
  • EvannahEvannah Posts: 1,638
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The X Factor's a singing contest. She can sing. She deserves to win IMO.
  • Arnold1Arnold1 Posts: 631
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    She's a great singer but I wouldn't buy her album. Her performances are quite dated and too similar to other singers.

I was looking for someone with a unique voice and that was Abi, but sadly she's now gone.
  • AaronWxAaronWx Posts: 2,531
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wrong.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 709
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wouldn't say that she's overrated because she is very good however if someone Tamera/hannah's age had Sam's voice they wouldn't be getting half the praise that she is. People like her more because she's older/average looking and doesn't look like a typical pop star.
  • sgeandhusgeandhu Posts: 1,427
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I generally like her but I thought her performance of New York, New York was dreadful. It was just bellowing. Shouting the lyrics does not automatically make a good performance and I thought the judges praise of her was ridiculously over the top.

However, if she released an album after the show I would probably listen to it. I've enjoyed her singing apart from this week, which was too Tesco Mary for my tastes.

I agree about "New York, New York" this week - her worst performance imho - too karaoke for my liking.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,252
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JustArun wrote: »

I don't think she is
  • ChelseaaKylexChelseaaKylex Posts: 516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I agree so oveerrated
  • JustArunJustArun Posts: 8,941
    Forum Member
    She isn't a star. I feel sorry for those children of hers who'll miss her when she's away on long trips.
  • RandysbackRandysback Posts: 3,404
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    OK, so you think she`s over rated. But she is a 1000 miles better than the rest of the rubbish on this year... FACT
  • SelenaSelena Posts: 29,581
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wouldn't say overrated but I am getting a little bit bored of all the focus on her. Nothing against her though.