Does a warm/hot bath make you feel exhausted/fatigued?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 724
Forum Member
✭✭
As title.

Comments

• mirandashellmirandashell Posts: 2,943
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ermmm .. why?

I think it's supposed to make you feel relaxed or sleepy. Exhaustion is a bit of an extreme reaction.
  • The PrumeisterThe Prumeister Posts: 22,398
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Are you suffering any other symptoms OP? Feeling exhausted after a bath could be one manifestation of an underlying neurological problem - although unlikely if you've no other symptoms. Also depends how hot you have the water as well I guess!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 724
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I do have some neurological problems of unknown etiology - presumed benign by a neuro (had them for years).

I was just reading up about things that help with fatigue - and taking a bath was one of them! I do love baths, but I almost have to crawl back to my room and lay down for a half hour to recover. I was just wondering if other people get the same sort of reaction.
  • Terry WigonTerry Wigon Posts: 6,831
    Forum Member
    One of the primitive diagnoses of MS would be to sit in a hot bath. http://www.msrc.co.uk/index.cfm?fuseaction=show&pageid=1708

However, it's much more likely that your symptoms could be due to low blood pressure or that the bath was too hot?
  • OnexOneOnexOne Posts: 3,816
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    yip , i often feel knacked after a hot bath, but thats probably down to he temp i often have my bath at!
  • Tweacle Tart IITweacle Tart II Posts: 5,079
    Forum Member
    Yes, I used to and then I was diagnosed with MS and advised to avoid hot baths. The last time I had even a tepid bath, it wiped me out for about two days so it's showers all the way now.

MS used to actually be diagnosed by the 'hot bath' test.

http://www.msrc.co.uk/index.cfm?fuseaction=show&pageid=1708
  • Terry WigonTerry Wigon Posts: 6,831
    Forum Member
    Yes, I used to and then I was diagnosed with MS and advised to avoid hot baths. The last time I had even a tepid bath, it wiped me out for about two days so it's showers all the way now.

See post 5!
  • Tweacle Tart IITweacle Tart II Posts: 5,079
    Forum Member
    See post 5!

I was writing mine out while you were posting yours.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,547
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love really hot baths (ie makes the skin pink) and I do often find I feel tired whilst I'm in the bath and can usually go for a nap when I get out easily. The other thing is I often end up with a headache when I get out, but I think that's blood pressure related due to the temperature of the water, especially now I'm pregnant.

I know it's bad for me but I can't stand a bath anything other than scorching hot, and I hate the shower because I always feel really cold unless I put the water on very hot, in which case all the steam takes my breath away and I feel like I'm going to collapse.

Sorry for the long post!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,859
    Forum Member
    Yes, only if I have had the water to hot, and it isn't enjoyable then at all, a weak feeling. So I make sure I have tested it well before getting in!
  • India_RainIndia_Rain Posts: 2,323
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, I feel like jelly if I have a hot bath. Even drying myself afterwards can be exhausting and my muscles feel fatigued.
  • GetMeOuttaHereGetMeOuttaHere Posts: 17,357
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I feel exhausted after having a bath and could quite easily have a lie down as I have trouble even standing straight afterwards. I feel so hot after I have to go and stand in my cold porch in flimsy pj's to cool off.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought this was just me! I do have very hot baths (not on purpose but I am too impatient to put cold water in/wait for it to cool) so I get in and then get this fatigued feeling. My heart also races and I have difficulty doing anything after a bath.

Lucky I don't have them often.
  • ClangeretteClangerette Posts: 879
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Saw a prog on this and apparently its not the hot bath that makes you feel tired its your body cooling down after that makes you feel sleepy
  • Vodka_DrinkaVodka_Drinka Posts: 28,740
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Whenever I have a really hot shower or bath I get really light headed after a while, like im going to faint. Not sure why?:confused:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,038
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I have this problem as well, and am waiting for an MRI with contrast as my neurological problems have been getting worse.

The problem is I get a horrible sensation of itchy, burning, electrical feeling in my shoulders and having a shower just makes it worse. It's getting to the point when it makes me feel sick, and even standing in the shower is a pain as I get dizzy.

So it's have a bath, or stink :D
  • misshollandmissholland Posts: 325
    Forum Member
    Yes,I do,I thought it was just me!Totally exhausted whenever I take a bath,hot or just warm.I do have low bloodpressure,I didn't know that could cause it.
    Anyway,it's just showers for me!:)
  • GetMeOuttaHereGetMeOuttaHere Posts: 17,357
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Anyone get hives when they have a bath. (I don't have hot ones, warmish to hot, no reddening of the skin from the heat)
  • RebelScumRebelScum Posts: 16,008
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Also, I'd imagine that having bath with very hot water could make one sweat a lot, causing dehydration which could lead to headaches and fatigue.