Capital Playlist and their strange choices

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 526
Forum Member
✭✭
Anyone know/suspect why Capital are snubbing the following songs?

JLS- Hold Me Down (they've played every other JLS single)

Amelia Lily- Shut Up (they supported You Bring Me Joy and it did well, getting to #2)

Little Mix- Change Your Life (again, they heavily supported Wings, DNA less so but it still got played)

The Saturdays- What About Us? (Capital normally play these girls songs)

Instead they are absolutely obsessed with the same songs which each get played like 5 times a day...

:confused:

Comments

• madmark20madmark20 Posts: 155
    Forum Member
    Max the dg girl on capital has not long ago played shut up ,its the first time ive seen it played on their radio ,they play it quite a bit on their tv channel.yes its strange music choice with that station.
  • twingletwingle Posts: 19,322
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Because none of them are managed by Global ;););)
  • Zack06Zack06 Posts: 28,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Capital are like that. If you don't massage their ego, pay them money or are not signed to Global Talent, then the chances are they will just pretend you don't exist. They are a terrible radio station.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,561
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Their playlist in 2011 consisted of Party Rock Anthem, Someone Like You, Firework, Raise Your Glass, On The Floor, S&M, Changed The Way You Kiss Me, Where Dem Girls At?, The Lazy Song and Price Tag.

Their playlist in 2012 consisted of Domino, Titanium, We Are Young, Call Me Maybe, Starships, Laserlight, Pound The Alarm, Turn Up The Music, Where Have You Been and Mama Do The Hump plus anything by Lawson and David Guetta.

Seriously, I was in my friends car practically every night both years and he'd have Capital on non stop, these were the only ones that ever got played. Sometimes they'd play the same song twice in an hour. :rolleyes: It's a seriously dreadful station.
  • kyleeekyleee Posts: 347
    Forum Member
    I used to like Capital but now its way too repetative. The main two songs always playing on there are Swedish house maffia - dont u worry child and bruno mars - locked out of heaven. And dont even start me on flo rida!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 526
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Shadow2009 wrote: »
    Their playlist in 2011 consisted of Party Rock Anthem, Someone Like You, Firework, Raise Your Glass, On The Floor, S&M, Changed The Way You Kiss Me, Where Dem Girls At?, The Lazy Song and Price Tag.

Their playlist in 2012 consisted of Domino, Titanium, We Are Young, Call Me Maybe, Starships, Laserlight, Pound The Alarm, Turn Up The Music, Where Have You Been and Mama Do The Hump plus anything by Lawson and David Guetta.

Seriously, I was in my friends car practically every night both years and he'd have Capital on non stop, these were the only ones that ever got played. Sometimes they'd play the same song twice in an hour. :rolleyes: It's a seriously dreadful station.

Don't forget 'Stronger', 'Call My Name' & 'Blow Me' ;)

Also strange how much they played 'Call Me Maybe' yet completely ignored Carly's follow up 'This Kiss'.:confused:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nevermind the terrible music... have you heard it's presenters? My god, you imagine some 12 year old just hitting random buttons behind a desk.
  • OrdinaryMorningOrdinaryMorning Posts: 2,602
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've grown to HATE Blow Me (One Last Kiss) by Pink because of this dire radio station overplaying it so much. Everytime I switch the radio on they're playing this song!
  • Sam SolitudeSam Solitude Posts: 341
    Forum Member
    Capital is radio for teenage girls.
  • Hav_mor91Hav_mor91 Posts: 17,183
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Same here Ellie Goulding Anything Could happen gets regualarplays on their tv channel (don't listen to the RS so dont know if they do on there) buut refused to play her last single Figure 8 which fits entirely with the music of the station its a weird and shit station with one of the worst playlists ever. Say what you want about radio 1 but it has variety.
  • scratchy23scratchy23 Posts: 3,675
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    STANDING IN THE HALL OF FAME!

aka Capital FM June 2012 - present, on repeat, ALL DAY.
  • RickyLeeds85RickyLeeds85 Posts: 11,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Don't forget 'Stronger', 'Call My Name' & 'Blow Me' ;)

Also strange how much they played 'Call Me Maybe' yet completely ignored Carly's follow up 'This Kiss'.:confused:

has that actually been released over here? as i thought her song with Owl CIty was her 2nd single? can't say i heard Radio 1 play This Kiss tbh.

same with The Saturdays what about us? don't think its been released over here yet which is why there could be little airplay?
  • 36_Chambers36_Chambers Posts: 944
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    so i just googled global talent, its appears they only have 3 acts on the books?

is that true?
  • MiresiaVertetaMiresiaVerteta Posts: 1,242
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Zack06 wrote: »
    Capital are like that. If you don't massage their ego, pay them money or are not signed to Global Talent, then the chances are they will just pretend you don't exist. They are a terrible radio station.

Blimey! You seriously would think this was Belarus, Russia with the limitations! No wonder the charts are in a shocking state.

Funnily enough...the TV station isnt that bad.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,505
    Forum Member
    Radio is a joke
  • FanFromHollandFanFromHolland Posts: 5,987
    Forum Member
    They supported the whole of Alexandra Burke's first Era

They played Bad Boys, Broken heels, All Night Long, Start Without You and The Silence to death but suddenly refused to play her second era at all
  • Gill PGill P Posts: 21,569
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    twingle wrote: »
    Because none of them are managed by Global ;););)

This has hit the nail on the head! If you are not connected with Global you haven't an earthly chance of being played on any Capital radio stations. Talk about monopoly!

I believe there is talk of getting a petition up about this.
  • Zack06Zack06 Posts: 28,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gill P wrote: »
    This has hit the nail on the head! If you are not connected with Global you haven't an earthly chance of being played on any Capital radio stations. Talk about monopoly!

I believe there is talk of getting a petition up about this.

Artists not on Global Talent have to pander to their every need in order to get played. When 1D got snubbed for forgetting to thank Capital along with R1 at the Brits, Simon had to do a deal with Global where their artists got promoted on his shows and they would unban 1D. After they were unbanned, Cover Drive and The Wanted got prime slots on Red or Black and The X Factor. They also just outright snubbed Alexandra after some random internet station accidentally premiered the single mix of her new song which Capital were supposed to do.

They are a very petty station, and airplay on there requires some form of affiliation with Global. It's quite ridiculous that one company is allowed to have so much control, Capital do have an effect on the charts and it gives some artists an unfair advantage, I think OFCOM should review the situation now tbh, because it's started to get out of hand.
  • Eric_BlobEric_Blob Posts: 7,756
    Forum Member
    They did the same with Rizzle Kicks. They played Mama Do the Hump every few hours for about 9 months, and completely ignored Traveller's Chant.

They do this so much. Even with Rihanna, they played We Found Love and Where Have You Been to death, but I hardly ever heard Talk That Talk on the station for some reason...

Same with Rudimental. What aren't they playing their new song. They should stop playing Feel the Love and play Not Giving In, they're pretty similar anyway.

I just don't get it. What's their problem?

The thing is, they don't care about music, all they care about is money. They haven't playlisted 50 Cent's new song either. Their target audience is 15-34 year olds, isn't it? Do they not know 50 Cent and Eminem are VERY popular with that age group?
    Artists not on Global Talent have to pander to their every need in order to get played. When 1D got snubbed for forgetting to thank Capital along with R1 at the Brits, Simon had to do a deal with Global where their artists got promoted on his shows and they would unban 1D. After they were unbanned, Cover Drive and The Wanted got prime slots on Red or Black and The X Factor. They also just outright snubbed Alexandra after some random internet station accidentally premiered the single mix of her new song which Capital were supposed to do.

Wiley was having a go at Capital FM on Twitter the other day, for not playing Can You Hear Me? (even though that song is PERFECT for Capital, it's a generic dance-pop song). I feel because of that all his future singles will get blacklisted by the station. :(
    Forum Member
    The thing is, sometimes radio stations don't play a song, and that's fine, I can understand that. But I can't understand it with Capital, since they always playing the hits from 6 months ago, and seem to only have about 40 songs in high rotation. To make them a better station, they need to have some rules like they can't play a hit from over 3 months ago more than once per day, and they can't ANY song more than once every 8 hours or something like that.

But they do it for the money. There's loads of people aged 40+ who tune into the station because they like hearing these MOR Taylor Swift and Calvin Harris songs every day. THAT is where Capital gets its audience and money from.

Capital FM know if they started playing stuff like Nero, Kanye West, etc. in the day time, it'd scare away those 40+ listeners. That's why they're stuck playing stuff like Carly Rae Jepsen and Katy Perry all day.
  • PuterkidPuterkid Posts: 9,793
    Forum Member
    Interesting, I do wonder how all stations choose their playlist, there often seems little logic. If there is wheeling and dealing behind radio 1 and 2, then that needs exposing. Capital is a different animal, presumably, they can do what they want. I never listen to the station, the ads drive me nuts, let alone the repetitive playlist!
  • cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    has that actually been released over here? as i thought her song with Owl CIty was her 2nd single? can't say i heard Radio 1 play This Kiss tbh.

same with The Saturdays what about us? don't think its been released over here yet which is why there could be little airplay?

I saw it on the music channels a couple of times so I assume it was released in the UK. I don't know if it charted though. What About Us isn't being released until March but the official video is already on Youtube and it's been out since December in the States.
    Forum Member
    Puterkid wrote: »
    Interesting, I do wonder how all stations choose their playlist, there often seems little logic. If there is wheeling and dealing behind radio 1 and 2, then that needs exposing. Capital is a different animal, presumably, they can do what they want. I never listen to the station, the ads drive me nuts, let alone the repetitive playlist!

Radio 1 and Radio 2 are nowhere near as bad as Capital at least. Radio 1 might not play rock songs, but at least in the genres they DO play (dance, hip hop, etc.) they often playlist some quite obscure songs, and you're not constantly hearing songs from 15 months ago on Radio 1.

Also, Capital FM is more important for the charts than Radio 1 is. Capital FM can get songs to #1 almost all by themselves (as demonstrated with Twilight by Cover Drive), that station has so much power, it's a shame it has such a boring playlist.
  • Ryan11Ryan11 Posts: 4,586
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Now I know why they play Lawson all the time.
  • ashtray88ashtray88 Posts: 1,531
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Or you have to appear in their stupid TV advert were American popstars claim to love Capital and "Dave & Lisa" come storming up to the camera with evil grins but looking dead behind the eyes.

Although both The Saturdays and JLS were in those adverts so maybe they should complain.