New Adapter Power Supply - Help!

LoubeeLoubee Posts: 1,025
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Ok, so it seems that my guinea pigs have eaten through the power supply lead to my Asus X501A which means I need a new one.

However, do I have to buy one that specifically mentions my model or can I just go with one that has the same pin size? My current (old) one was 100-240v but - and this may be a completely stupid question - what would happen if I bought one with a lower voltage?

(If that is a stupid question, please don't judge me too harshly!)

Comments

• LION8TIGERLION8TIGER Posts: 8,484
    Forum Member
    Ebay has some.
  • REDBUSREDBUS Posts: 2,318
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    'However, do I have to buy one that specifically mentions my model or can I just go with one that has the same pin size? My current (old) one was 100-240v but - and this may be a completely stupid question - what would happen if I bought one with a lower voltage?'

pretty sure you know a lower power one would not work but it's a free country after all :)
  • LoubeeLoubee Posts: 1,025
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hey, what can I say? It was late, I was stressed and hoping I could buy something dirt cheap! Should have known!

Didn't even think of ebay though :o
  • chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The 100-240V is the AC mains voltage that the power supply runs on. UK mains voltage is 230V so any PSU that includes that in the range of voltages is OK.

Much more important however is the OUTPUT it provides. That is the one that will either power your laptop correctly, blow it up or blow up the PSU. Well perhaps blow a fuse :)

You need to find a replacement with the same voltage rating as your existing one and at least equal current (Amps) rating, current can be higher but avoid a lower rating.

For example if your existing PSU is 20V(olts) at 3A(mps) then a replacement spec'ed at 20V 4A will work but one spec'ed at 20V 2A probably won't. Similarly one spec'ed at 15V at 3A won't work either.

If the PSU only states a wattage but your PSU does not simply multiply the voltage by the current to get watts. So using the above example 20V at 3A is 60W. So a 20V 80W PSU would be OK.

Using a higher current/wattage PSU won't harm the laptop, It is the laptop not the PSu that determines how much current/wattage it consumes. The PSU merely has to be able to provide at least that current/wattage.
  • 100andthirty100andthirty Posts: 445
    Forum Member
    If you feel confident with a soldering iron and the guinea pigs have eaten through the cable between the adaptor and the plug into the laptop, you could repair it yourself. The important thing is to ensure that you don't swap over the wires. If it's on the mains side you can usually replace the mains cable. You probably know all this.

Another tip is to enter your exact laptop model name and number into Google, Amazon and eBay, a suitable adaptor will generally be shown.
  • LoubeeLoubee Posts: 1,025
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A soldering iron, huh? Well that sounds like a disaster waiting to happen in my hands - although that said I did fix the last thing they ate (I swear to god I box them off but the blummin' things are like ninjas!) but that was very, very low voltage so I was less worried. This I think requires brand new so will take myself off to ebay now and find one.

Thanks for all the help everyone :)
  • neo_walesneo_wales Posts: 13,625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ten quid on ebay.
  • MartinPickeringMartinPickering Posts: 3,711
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'll solder the cable for £9.99 :)
    (but you'll have to bring it to me.)
  • tony13579tony13579 Posts: 1,145
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you buy off eBay , decide if you can wait 12 days.

If so buy a cheap one from china
    Otherwise make sure you get one located in the UK!