Do you want the series put back together?

jpljpl Posts: 286
Forum Member
Do you want to see the split continue or the series to be put back together? I don't know about you but I've felt the split hasn't worked as Moffat's intended to boost excitement with 2 season openers and finales effectively. It just seems to create a really short series that I'm just getting back into and it ends.

I really hope that they put it back together and put in a couple of two parters. What do you think?

Do you think the split has worked? 73 votes

I like the split, they should keep it.
6% 5 votes
The split hasn't worked I want it put back together.
93% 68 votes

Comments

• Tom TitTom Tit Posts: 2,554
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    :rolleyes:

The split wasn't done for 'creative' reasons. That was jsut so much BS. Keep up. It was done either for budgetary reasons or for production schedule reasons. So whether Season 8 is split or not will depend upon those same factors.
  • jpljpl Posts: 286
    Forum Member
    Tom Tit wrote: »
    |(

The split wasn't done for 'creative' reasons. Keep up. It was done either for budgetary reasons or for production schedule reasons. So whether Season 8 is split or not will depend upon those same factors.

regardless of all the reasons behind it. do you want it to be kept? that's more the point.
  • summer_stesummer_ste Posts: 5,524
    Forum Member
    I like the split thing but what I'd like is to have a series split into 2 halves, EVERY year. Not one series split over 2 years.
  • Banks246Banks246 Posts: 521
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think split work, as long as they are in the same year.

Season 6 was a much better split than season 7.
  • davrosdodebirddavrosdodebird Posts: 8,692
    Forum Member
    I would vote for "I don't mind either way", but the poll doesn't have the option :p
  • TassiumTassium Posts: 31,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't know why the split has occurred but I don't like it either.

Maybe it's an American thing, but those shows usually have around 24 episodes/year. So a split can work for that.

If Doctor Who was 28minutes/episode with 26 episodes a year then a split would of course give people a break from it.
  • ea91ea91 Posts: 2,363
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I didn't mind the Series 6 split, but the Series 7 split was just ridiculous.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jpl wrote: »
    regardless of all the reasons behind it. do you want it to be kept? that's more the point.

And my point is it's pointless discussing it as if it's a creative decision because it isn't. I doubt anyone wants less episodes, including most of the production team. People need to get it into their heads that it's now apparent that the issue isn't a 'split' series, it's a reduced series. I can't imagine anyone who actually likes the show arguing that they would like a reduced episode count of 50%, which is what we've had for 2012-13. So what is to debate?
    Forum Member
    I would vote for "I don't mind either way", but the poll doesn't have the option :p

damn, can I add that now?
  • Scorpio2Scorpio2 Posts: 5,632
    Forum Member
    Who ever came up with the split idea deserves to be fired.
  • TheSilentFezTheSilentFez Posts: 11,103
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes times one hundred and sixty-two thousand million!
    Forum Member
    And my point is it's pointless discussing it as if it's a creative decision because it isn't. I doubt anyone wants less episodes, including most of the production team. People need to get it into their heads that it's now apparent that the issue isn't a 'split' series, it's a reduced series.

again, regardless of the real reason behind it, do you think that it works in a creative sense. It way well be a budgetry reason but that does't stop us discussing how it affects the series. does it effect people's enjoyment or not? is hurting stories or not?

These are all fair discussions regardless of why the decision was made.
  • AbominationAbomination Posts: 6,483
    Forum Member
    I could settle with a split like the one in Series 6. But the one in Series 7 was overly long, and felt even bigger by the lack of two-parters to up the scale of things.

Series 8 would be great with a split like Series 6, just putting the opening two-parter at the end instead, and maybe having a two-parter near the middle :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    again, regardless of the real reason behind it, do you think that it works in a creative sense. It way well be a budgetry reason but that does't stop us discussing how it affects the series. does it effect people's enjoyment or not? is hurting stories or not?

These are all fair discussions regardless of why the decision was made.

Okay. I would like to see more than 16 episodes over a two year period. I don't care when they broadcast them. When they are broadcast doesn't affect the quality of the episodes.

I think the moon should have less influence on the sea to make it easier to swim in and fewer people would be drowned. On the other hand it would be less fun to swim in and ships would have to be redesigned. Such a tough creative decision for us to make, but one well worth discussing.
    Forum Member
    Okay. I would like to see more than 16 episodes over a two year period. I don't care when they broadcast them. When they are broadcast doesn't affect the quality of the episodes.

I think the moon should have less influence on the sea to make it easier to swim in and fewer people would be drowned. On the other hand it would be less fun to swim in and ships would have to be redesigned. Such a tough creative decision for us to make.

you know that the term Lunatic was coined because they thought it was the influence of the moon making them weird....hmmmm
  • So 3008So 3008 Posts: 2,052
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes!!!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What colour would people like turnips to be?

Should we make the economy better?

I think they should make cigarettes that don't give you cancer. Do you agree?

All valid and interesting topics for discussion. Our preferences really matter for making these creative decisions so ponder it carefully.
  • November_RainNovember_Rain Posts: 9,145
    Forum Member
    summer_ste wrote: »
    I like the split thing but what I'd like is to have a series split into 2 halves, EVERY year. Not one series split over 2 years.

^This.

I didn't mind the split in series 6 because it meant it was more evenly spread over the year.

I hated the split in series 7 because as a result we have ended up with only one season in two years, for which I feel short-changed.

I await the "entitlement issues" brigade with their lectures on how we should be grateful we're getting any Doctor Who at all.
  • PiippPiipp Posts: 2,440
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ^This.

I didn't mind the split in series 6 because it meant it was more evenly spread over the year.

I hated the split in series 7 because as a result we have ended up with only one season in two years, for which I feel short-changed.

I await the "entitlement issues" brigade with their lectures on how we should be grateful we're getting any Doctor Who at all.

I completely agree with this.

And the 'entitlement issues' brigade can leave it out; I pay my license fee so yes, I AM entitled to programming I wish to see and enjoy. They can afford to produce two hours of Eastenders every week yet they can't even produce one thirteen episode series of Doctor Who in one year anymore. Maybe they should stop wasting money of things such as Eurovision and The Voice and start spending it on quality programming. It's not as if they don't shift enough DW merchandise; if they were a 'for profit' organisation DW would make them an absolute bomb.
    Forum Member
    ^This.

I get your point but even that split didn't work for me, I think 13 episodes is too short to work split, just my thoughts though
  • LivingDestinyLivingDestiny Posts: 714
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It worked for series 6 with a cliffhanger and arc heavy, but series 7 didn't have much of a link, had two seperate companions for each part as well as a christmas special seperating both parts which meant two parts of the series in different years. It felt like two series which I didn't think was necessary so yes series 8 no split please
    Forum Member
    Piipp wrote: »

And the 'entitlement issues' brigade can leave it out; I pay my license fee so yes, I AM entitled to programming I wish to see and enjoy. They can afford to produce two hours of Eastenders every week yet they can't even produce one thirteen episode series of Doctor Who in one year anymore. Maybe they should stop wasting money of things such as Eurovision and The Voice and start spending it on quality programming. It's not as if they don't shift enough DW merchandise; if they were a 'for profit' organisation DW would make them an absolute bomb.

Agree with this, if we'd had a series once a year properly since 2005 we'd be halfway through season 9.
  • LurkingGoodLurkingGood Posts: 676
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I didn't vote.
    I don't mind the split but prefer without.
    I wouldn't say it didn't work though so can't pick an option.
    Forum Member
    I didn't vote.
    I don't mind the split but prefer without.
    I wouldn't say it didn't work though so can't pick an option.

yeah I think I could have added a couple of other options given the way the discussion has went
  • November_RainNovember_Rain Posts: 9,145
    Forum Member
    Piipp wrote: »

What makes it even more annoying is the fact that we were told we'd be getting "more Doctor Who than ever" this year, and now we have got the exact opposite.

I'm not pointing fingers at anyone in particular but that is all the more reason I am left feeling a little miffed.
    I get your point but even that split didn't work for me, I think 13 episodes is too short to work split, just my thoughts though

I can see where you're coming from, but if it narrows the gap in between series then I'm all for it. :)