EE (Orange) are Scrapping PAYG Phone Fund

IanPIanP Posts: 3,661
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Topping up on Orange pay as you go currently earns credit towards buying your next handset. I had a text from Orange linking to http://orangeworld.co.uk/r/pf which says
• From 30 September your Phone Fund won't get any bigger after each top up.

• If you want to check your Phone Fund balance just text PHONE to 450 for free.

• You still have until 30 November 2013 to use your Phone Fund in an EE store. You can use it to get money off a new pay as you go phone, or off your bill if you move to pay monthly.

They say they have "a brilliant new offer on its way"

If you've been on Orange with a PAYG phone for at least 3 months and have topped-up and spent some credit on a call or sent a text at least once in the past 3 months, you will be eligible for a discount on selected PAYG phones from our stores. The amount of discount will depend on the phone you choose. (My emphasis)

:mad: So now Orange will dictate how much you can save on each of their new PAYG handsets if anything. I used Phone Fund to get money off my current handset but I don't need or want to change handset in the next 3 months so my current Phone Fund savings will be wiped out. Although it's not much money and the new discount will probably be more in my case, the potentially limited choice of handset and loss of something you feel you've paid for is very annoying.

Comments

• DevonBlokeDevonBloke Posts: 6,835
    Forum Member
    Damn it. I just got a free SIM for my Daughter and wondered what the phone fund was. Now I know. Thanks.
    Not a lot of use now though :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 70
    Forum Member
    Phone fund works out by giving you 10% of your top-ups back over a 15 month period.

Terrible value for money compared to getting a SIMO for say £8-16/month and then paying the full price for the handset :)