Katy Perry outselling entire top 10 combined; on track for UK #1

iamstrongiamstrong Posts: 867
Forum Member
✭✭
Pop babe Katy Perry certainly will have something to Roar about – as the track is on course to snare her fourth British No.1.

The latest single from the 28-year-old raven haired singer is outselling the rest of the Top 10 combined.

‘YAY UK! A week early & by popular demand you can be louder than a lion! Finally, It’s your turn to ROAR!’ she announced on Twitter earlier this week as the single’s release date was brought forward.

Roar is the lead single from Perry’s hotly anticipated fourth album, Prism – due to be released on October 22.

The track has already performed well around the world – romping to the top of the charts in a number of countries and beating off stiff competition from Lady Gaga’s Applause.

Katy Perry will close the iTunes Festival in London on September 30.

http://metro.co.uk/2013/09/03/katy-perry-roar-on-track-for-no-1-outselling-the-rest-of-the-top-10-combined-3948370/

This is unbelievable. :eek: Well done to her :D

Comments

• So 3008So 3008 Posts: 2,052
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tomorrow's mid-weeks should be interesting,
  • crazybeatscrazybeats Posts: 383
    Forum Member
    Eminem is STILL number 2 behind her in the US for just under a week now. Will be interesting to see her chart position when his single gets released in the UK this week.
  • AdzPowerAdzPower Posts: 4,861
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Amazing that such a mediocre track could be such a big hit.
  • barbelerbarbeler Posts: 23,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Never heard of her.
  • Cheap ThrillsCheap Thrills Posts: 242
    Forum Member
    AdzPower wrote: »
    Amazing that such a mediocre track could be such a big hit.

The majority of the big hits released in the last five years or so have been mediocre. I can't remember the last time a truly great pop song topped the charts. It's certainly no surprise that Roar is set to hit #1 on Sunday.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 115
    Forum Member
    I don't mind Katy Perry, I've liked quite a few of her other songs but Roar is pretty mediocre IMO.
  • BenllechBenllech Posts: 2,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dunno why you find it "unbelievable" this was always going to happen.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 128
    Forum Member
    It had got as high as Top 15 on iTunes on pre-orders alone, so it doesn't surprise me that it's on course for No.1. I'm honestly more interested to see how You Me At Six do on Sunday's chart, their new song Lived a Lie is currently at No.2 on iTunes. Now that's something I never expected.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 426
    Forum Member
    I'm one of the biggest fans you'll get of Katy Perry, yet I'm so shocked with how much of a success it's been; I know it's a good, catchy song, and she's coming back from a successful album but bloody hell, didn't realise she had this level of support!
  • scratchy23scratchy23 Posts: 3,675
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's not mediocre it's BRILLIANT and so worthy of this success.
  • KMKYWAPKMKYWAP Posts: 1,769
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    iamstrong wrote: »

Why well done to her?

Since when has getting a number one been a barometer of quality?

It's completely meaningless.
  • iamstrongiamstrong Posts: 867
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    KMKYWAP wrote: »
    Why well done to her?

Since when has getting a number one been a barometer of quality?

It's completely meaningless.
    Um, because I'm not a person who finds pleasure in negativity? :confused:
  • KMKYWAPKMKYWAP Posts: 1,769
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    iamstrong wrote: »
    Um, because I'm not a person who finds pleasure in negativity? :confused:

Neither am I.

Well done Katy, rise to your rightful place in the upper echelons of musical #1 royalty along with Tulisa, One Direction, Bob the Builder and Hear'Say.
  • CeeOCeeO Posts: 860
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Let's hope the 'guaranteed' number one placement is short lived.
  • Hav_mor91Hav_mor91 Posts: 17,183
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    KMKYWAP wrote: »
    Neither am I.

Well done Katy, rise to your rightful place in the upper echelons of musical #1 royalty along with Tulisa, One Direction, Bob the Builder and Hear'Say.

Bjut then in the same Breathe Kate Bush, Elton John, Pink Floyd have all also had number 1's so six of one thing ;)
  • Mr_EyeMr_Eye Posts: 1,495
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Im still amused by the fact that Lady Gaga released her single early in an attempt to piss on Katy's parade, and has been absolutely destroyed in every major market.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 369
    Forum Member
    Congrats to Katy. She's executed this release really well, and the slayage is impressive.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,074
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mr_Eye wrote: »
    Im still amused by the fact that Lady Gaga released her single early in an attempt to piss on Katy's parade, and has been absolutely destroyed in every major market.

Roars US sales are incredible I think it's over 1 million now, it was at 900k + in its second week. I didn't expect her to come back this hard.
  • barlowconnorbarlowconnor Posts: 38,120
    Forum Member
    I like Katy but I'm surprised with this song as it's not one of her best.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,977
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Congrats to Katy. It's good to see such solid sales figures.
  • calico_piecalico_pie Posts: 10,060
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think someone said recently about Katy that she was just about the only solo female pop star out there where its pretty much all about the fun of being a pop star. Which I think is pretty spot on. Combine that with a few catchy tunes, and a general positive message in a few of her songs, top it off with a great hair and make up, and its no wonder she's so popular.
  • Hav_mor91Hav_mor91 Posts: 17,183
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    calico_pie wrote: »
    I think someone said recently about Katy that she was just about the only solo female pop star out there where its pretty much all about the fun of being a pop star. Which I think is pretty spot on. Combine that with a few catchy tunes, and a general positive message in a few of her songs, top it off with a great hair and make up, and its no wonder she's so popular.

Plus her videos are always spot on and are gradually becoming an event in themselves. She gets what it means to be a pop star and she knows what to do to get there and that is her biggest strength
  • MissLaurentienMissLaurentien Posts: 212
    Forum Member
    I just love the fact that Katy is slaying Lady Gaga even without a video. Lady Gaga failed so hard when she tried to steal Katy's spotlight on the day release of Roar. I'm not buying that stupid leaking excuse. Well done Katy.
  • calico_piecalico_pie Posts: 10,060
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hav_mor91 wrote: »
    Plus her videos are always spot on and are gradually becoming an event in themselves. She gets what it means to be a pop star and she knows what to do to get there and that is her biggest strength

Agree completely.

The little trailers leading up to Roar were exactly what good pop should be about - knowing, self referential fun.

From a Meow to a Roar

The Third Coming

Queen of the Jungle

If that isn't a great campaign to whet your audience's appetite, I don't know what is.
  • sunrisegirlsunrisegirl Posts: 302
    Forum Member
    103K sold so far this week and there is this tweet

@officialcharts
    #ChartFact: @katyperry's #Roar has a lead of over 80,000 copies on the #Number2 single at this mid-way point: