storing books & magazines etc. in a detatched damp garage ... what's the best way?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 314
Forum Member
The problem is : I have too many books, magazines, dvds, cds etc. in the house. I've run out of storage space.

The only place I can think to use for added storage is our "outside" detached garage. But it's pretty ropey and is, I'm sure, too damp and insect infested for just putting boxes in.

Is there any kind of "storage unit" that I could get and put in the garage that, once closed, would keep my stuff in good condition?

Or am I just kidding myself and should just forget about using the garage?

Comments

• Keefy-boyKeefy-boy Posts: 13,561
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    get a skip!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 879
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    At a guess, any air tight container should work
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,415
    Forum Member
    get some of them bags the shopping channels on sky advertise , the ones that you suck the air out of with a vacuum cleaner , should do the trick i reckon :)
  • Galaxy266Galaxy266 Posts: 7,049
    Forum Member
    You could rent a unit in a "Big Yellow" or similar storage facility, but, of course, this will cost you money.

As far as I know they are quite dry inside.
  • grumpyscotgrumpyscot Posts: 11,343
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    get some of them bags the shopping channels on sky advertise , the ones that you suck the air out of with a vacuum cleaner , should do the trick i reckon :)

Good idea - the other option is to buy air-tight storage boxes, but these are very expensive compared with QVCs air-tight bags.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 530
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nah, Keep all your p0rn in the house and store your furniture in the garage instead. Get your priorities right :D
  • ClunkClunk Posts: 3,358
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    grumpyscot wrote: »
    Good idea - the other option is to buy air-tight storage boxes, but these are very expensive compared with QVCs air-tight bags.

Better yet get the vacuum bags from Poundland and they will be even cheaper still !
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,573
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Clunk wrote: »
    Better yet get the vacuum bags from Poundland and they will be even cheaper still !

Sounds good to me.:)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 314
    Forum Member
    Keefy-boy wrote: »
    get a skip!

.. or Oxfam or eBay ...

But you are probably right. The problem is I need space to organise the stuff and decide what to sling ....
    Forum Member
    Galaxy266 wrote: »
    You could rent a unit in a "Big Yellow" or similar storage facility, but, of course, this will cost you money.

As far as I know they are quite dry inside.

Man, those storage facilities don't come cheap, do they?

Not an option I'd ever consider, I'd rather "skip" the stuff!
    Forum Member
    grumpyscot wrote: »

Where the heck does one find air-tight storage boxes big enough to store a lot of books?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 18,013
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Vac Packs online, Woolies etc. Think you get them much cheaper at Argos though.
  • annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member
    silica gel sachets?
    Forum Member
    ardwark wrote: »
    Vac Packs online, Woolies etc. Think you get them much cheaper at Argos though.

What if I don't want the Vac Packs but want the boxes instead? Any pointers where I might find big enough ones?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 18,013
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yeah. I got boxes with lids for storing stuff up the loft from HERE

Loads of different sizes, very sturdy and so on and if I remember correctly, they were the cheapest available for the quality after a long long search.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,573
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ardwark wrote: »
    Yeah. I got boxes with lids for storing stuff up the loft from HERE

Loads of different sizes, very sturdy and so on and if I remember correctly, they were the cheapest available for the quality after a long long search.

Oh, a woman started talking loudly at me--I nearly had a heart attack!:eek:

:)