Ways to avoid paying £20 for replacement card

Will-in-EstorilWill-in-Estoril Posts: 458
Forum Member
A number of years back when $ky changed to the yellow and blue cards there was no equivalent of the FSFS card: the BBC had gone FTA and no-one had yet picked up the baton for the issue of FTV cards.

The most ingenious way was to try and register for an adult channel; the registration would fail, but 2 days later a replacement card would arrive. Happy days!

Today it is possible to go online and order a card for £20, but is there a way to get it cheaper?

Nollywood, a Nigerian film channel, offers a subscription for £5.99 per month, minimum subscription 2 months (£11.98), payable by Paypoint. I am hoping that by subscribing a new card would automatically come from SSSL.

Ok, not free, but worth a go??;)

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 947
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Put the 20 quid towards a Freesat HD box and ditch Sky.
  • robbrarobbra Posts: 524
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    All that for £8 Why bother? :confused:
  • HappymanUKHappymanUK Posts: 176
    Forum Member
    I vaguely remember reading another post about obtaining a replacement Sky card by signing up to one of the Asian channels - Although I can't find the posts now.....
  • Will-in-EstorilWill-in-Estoril Posts: 458
    Forum Member
    robbra wrote: »
    All that for £8 Why bother? :confused:

Some of us do not want to put money straight into Murdoch's pocket.
  • RichardcoulterRichardcoulter Posts: 30,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A number of years back when $ky changed to the yellow and blue cards there was no equivalent of the FSFS card: the BBC had gone FTA and no-one had yet picked up the baton for the issue of FTV cards.

The most ingenious way was to try and register for an adult channel; the registration would fail, but 2 days later a replacement card would arrive. Happy days!

Today it is possible to go online and order a card for £20, but is there a way to get it cheaper?

Nollywood, a Nigerian film channel, offers a subscription for £5.99 per month, minimum subscription 2 months (£11.98), payable by Paypoint. I am hoping that by subscribing a new card would automatically come from SSSL.

Ok, not free, but worth a go??;)

Ahhh yes, it was Pout!

Good idea, you can save money and help a minority channel without giving Murdoch money :-)
  • TV DUNIYATV DUNIYA Posts: 6,772
    Forum Member
    djblamire wrote: »
    I vaguely remember reading another post about obtaining a replacement Sky card by signing up to one of the Asian channels - Although I can't find the posts now.....

ARY Qtv,was £4.99/month with no installation fee and no minimum subscription period,last year.
    That offer ended on 31st December 2009.
    Currently its £5.99/month,with two months minimum subscription,and a £12.00 installation fee,which is £3.98 more than the FSFS card.
    So it definately looks like Nollywood Movies offer is the cheapest route at the moment.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,796
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Phone to threaten to cancel and they#ll give you a new one!
  • killie1killie1 Posts: 901
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mr Obseen wrote: »
    Phone to threaten to cancel and they#ll give you a new one!

Cancel what? :D
  • coopermanyorkscoopermanyorks Posts: 21,215
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Some of us do not want to put money straight into Murdoch's pocket.

And you think RM and his team get nothing out of the money you spend with Nollywood ?

Dream on and just spend £20 if the FTV channel are important the card and the card will arrive in 2 days
  • TechnixTechnix Posts: 2,571
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can confirm it's only a 1 month contract when subscribing to Nollywood movies, not 2 months as it states on their website, so you can make a saving of £14.01!

You have to order the card first by phoning them, then when it arrives you call up again and set up the subscription to activate the card. For me the activation didn't give me the correct BBC1 region and I was missing the Five channels and Channel 4+1 from the EPG. To correct this I had to connect the box up to a phoneline and do a callback, the missing channels arrived a few days later and the card was setup for my region.
  • coopermanyorkscoopermanyorks Posts: 21,215
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Technix wrote: »
    You have to order the card first by phoning them, .

And the call is free ?.......;)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And the call is free ?.......;)

Yes it was, I used 020 7856 1308 to get through to them.
  • bubblegunbubblegun Posts: 766
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You should also be made aware that the FSFS card goes up to £25 on 1st Feb 2010. So dithering with these ideas may just mean you cost yourself another £5 if they don't work.
    Forum Member
    bubblegun wrote: »
    You should also be made aware that the FSFS card goes up to £25 on 1st Feb 2010. So dithering with these ideas may just mean you cost yourself another £5 if they don't work.

Do you have a link,for the upcoming FSFS price hike?
    The subscription cards from other providers do work,and are officially endorsed by Sky
    Forum Member
    Technix wrote: »
    I can confirm it's only a 1 month contract when subscribing to Nollywood movies, not 2 months as it states on their website, so you can make a saving of £14.01!

You have to order the card first by phoning them, then when it arrives you call up again and set up the subscription to activate the card. For me the activation didn't give me the correct BBC1 region and I was missing the Five channels and Channel 4+1 from the EPG. To correct this I had to connect the box up to a phoneline and do a callback, the missing channels arrived a few days later and the card was setup for my region.

One thing to be aware of is,that the subscription will be renewed automatically,if you don't ring and cancel.
    To avoid this,best to pay by Paypoint,instead of debit or credit card.

https://nwd.appletree.co.uk/new_sub.php

Nigeria Movies(344),
    is also available at £5.99/month,(no mention of minimum term or installation fee)and that too allows Paypoint payment.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TV DUNIYA wrote: »
    One thing to be aware of is,that the subscription will be renewed automatically,if you don't ring and cancel.
    To avoid this,best to pay by Paypoint,instead of debit or credit card.

It didn't for me and I paid with a credit card.
    TV DUNIYA wrote: »
    Nigeria Movies(344),is also available at £5.99/month,(no mention of minimum term or installation fee)and that too allows Paypoint payment.

The T+Cs for Nigeria Movies does mention 12 months minimum term.
  • Will-in-EstorilWill-in-Estoril Posts: 458
    Forum Member

Dream on and just spend £20 if the FTV channel are important the card and the card will arrive in 2 days

No, I didn't need to. Spent £11.98 and got a new card within 24 hours to replace my ex sub card. It did not need activating.

£11.98 < £20, which means Murdoch gets less of my money.
  • wgmorgwgmorg Posts: 5,020
    Forum Member
    The loser will be Nollywood... Nollywood needs more people like you to guarantee a successful future... :rolleyes:
    £11.98 < £20, which means Murdoch gets less of my money.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 71
    Forum Member
    I have an existing subscription atm and have a spare Sky HD box using an old canceled multiroom card. Would I be able to reactivate this multiroom sub for 1 month and get a new card for £10?
  • DingerDinger Posts: 2,297
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Depul wrote: »
    I have an existing subscription atm and have a spare Sky HD box using an old canceled multiroom card. Would I be able to reactivate this multiroom sub for 1 month and get a new card for £10?
    No, multiroom has a 12 month contract.
    Forum Member
    Dinger wrote: »
    No, multiroom has a 12 month contract.

I thought thats if you need the equipment installed? I already got it all set up.
  • DingerDinger Posts: 2,297
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Depul wrote: »
    I thought thats if you need the equipment installed? I already got it all set up.
    AFAIK multiroom and HD are both now 12 month contracts when you add them again. Several other FMs have mentioned this.
    Forum Member
    Dinger wrote: »
    AFAIK multiroom and HD are both now 12 month contracts when you add them again. Several other FMs have mentioned this.

Thats a bit of a bummer.
    Thanks for the info.
  • floppydogfloppydog Posts: 1,084
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Think I am a bit naive, I have just forked out £40 for two cards, two boxes - one upstairs and one down!!!!!!
  • RichardcoulterRichardcoulter Posts: 30,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Did anyone try this? Did it work?