Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 (2014 edition)

Fireball XL5Fireball XL5 Posts: 1,346
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Can anyone comment on this device? It's getting generally good reviews and I'm particularly interested in the 'S-pen' and the ability to write notes.

I'm looking for a tablet which will be both an entertainment device and something to use for work. I anticipate using the S-pen to take notes during meetings and to use for my studies as a part-time student.

Does the hand writing transcribe well to typed text, and can you save it easily to Evernote and similar apps?

Comments

• PuckyPucky Posts: 4,503
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have the 2013 version of this and the S-Pen works quite well. It transcribes text quite well and although I've not used it for any work purpose it's done what I've needed it to do - write notes that I can save either as text or as handwriting.

I'd recommend it!
  • Fireball XL5Fireball XL5 Posts: 1,346
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ^ Thanks pucky, I'm pretty sure I'll get one as it seems ideal for my needs. Luckily the best price at the moment is at John Lewis (£399), so if the s-pen doesn't work as I want it to I can always exchange it easily for something else.

It's a shame that only the 16GB version is available so far in the UK, although the expandable storage compensates to some extent.
  • Matt35Matt35 Posts: 29,795
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I got the 2013 version for 350 with £50 cashback which I've just received. I love my tablet. I got it so I didn't have to keep putting pc on to browse the web. Pen is good also. Less fingerprints on the screen.
  • Toby53Toby53 Posts: 845
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We have had a 10.1 for 12 months now, she who will be obeyed loves it uses the spen all the time, great piece of kit
  • weirlandia4evaweirlandia4eva Posts: 1,484
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    my daughter has had hers for over a year (older version). She loves it and the S pen is invaluable for taking notes in lectures for her Maths degree and for doing calculations.
  • looney lauralooney laura Posts: 5,082
    Forum Member
    Last years model love it recommend it yes.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks all, this is such useful feedback. That's it, I'm going to buy one! I think I'll wait until January, just in case prices come down a little.
  • Toby53Toby53 Posts: 845
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks all, this is such useful feedback. That's it, I'm going to buy one! I think I'll wait until January, just in case prices come down a little.

After we had ours last year saw price increases from January that stayed in p!ace for the rest of the year, so watch it
  • PuckyPucky Posts: 4,503
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Toby53 wrote: »
    After we had ours last year saw price increases from January that stayed in p!ace for the rest of the year, so watch it
    Yeah I was gutted, PCW knocked money off the Galaxy tablets last Xmas, I ordered one in Jan and it'd gone up - a couple of days before and I'd have got it for the cheaper price!

I don't know what stock levels are like this time but I had to wait 3 weeks for it as Samsung couldn't ship them in the UK quick enough!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the above tip on pricing. I'm watching the Currys and John Lewis sites like a hawk. :)

I was on the Android Central forum earlier and there seems to be a common issue with the battery on the 2014 model. Quite a few people report a dual issue of very poor battery life (around 3 hours) along with the device taking over 12 hours to charge up. Swapping for a new machine seems to help, although not in all cases.

The majority of people on that forum seem happy with the battery life, so that's good. Shame about the issue though and fingers crossed I don't have it.
  • alanwarwicalanwarwic Posts: 28,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think that currently cheap Advent Tegra Note uses an s-pen.
    They call theirs a DirectStylus™ pen. (GPU pressure software)
  • pseudonympseudonym Posts: 2,567
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I bought this and I'm quite pleased except it doesn't have an HDMI thingy on it. I bought the Blackberry Playbook before (really cheap) and liked that I could watch my films/videos in my bedroom using the HDMI on it.

The Note can show my films/videos on my living room TV using the smart allshare thing but my bedroom tv is not a smart tv so I was at a loss what to do.

I read a lot about the allshare dongle and some other dongles but I was just getting very confused by all of them. Did I need to be online to view files etc...so in the end I sent for and MHL to HDMI cable which does what I want for now..
    Would be interesting to find out if I did the right thing here from you guys!

I would have loved the Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 2014 Edition to have had the HDMI on it.

Other than that, I'm pleased with it.

Oh about the S pen, it worked fine for the little I tried it (taken a little note and phone number) but lots of videos on youtube giving more in depth instructions which I've not got around to yet, but what I have noticed is that since I put on a screen protector, the pen does seem to drag a little, doesn't flow so good.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ^ Thanks for your comments, very useful.

I've just found out that a 'pro' version will be released before the end of March, with a better battery, 32GB storage and 12.2" screen. :o

Initial reviewer comments seem pretty positive so I might hang on a bit. The pro model might push down the price of the 10.1" model, with any luck, so if the pro is very expensive I could still get the smaller model.
  • pseudonympseudonym Posts: 2,567
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hope whatever you choose you are happy with your purchase
  • Mr. CoolMr. Cool Posts: 1,551
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    alanwarwic wrote: »
    I think that currently cheap Advent Tegra Note uses an s-pen.
    They call theirs a DirectStylus™ pen. (GPU pressure software)

The difference is Samsung's Note devices use Wacom digitizers (Samsung also acquired a percentage of Wacom)
  • Geoff_WGeoff_W Posts: 421
    Forum Member
    One of the criticisms of this tablet is its high price. Certainly, at £449 it's pretty steep, but John Lewis' price of £399 is a bit more reasonable. However, having been in Australia over Christmas and the New Year, I was curious how prices compare.

Whilst in Oz, I was shocked at the high cost of living there. Supermarkets are much more expensive than here, and fresh fruit and veg are, surprisingly, much more expensive too. So I was not surprised that their prices for tablets were also more expensive than ours. However, their tablet prices seem to have reduced and the Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 (2014) is available in JB Hi-Fi for A$648 (about £360 at an exchange rate of £1 = A$1.80).

So either we are being ripped off, or there is a price reduction in the offing (says he, hopefully).
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Geoff, I think in general we pay over the odds in the UK for electronic goods. I've heard all sorts of reasons why but none of them are very convincing, so I'm sticking with the rip off theory for now!

I agree the Samsung is very pricey and I wouldn't consider paying much over £400 for it, so I'm glad that JL prices are so good.

Because of the imminent release of the 12.2" pro version I'm hoping that the 10.1" will go down in price a bit. Chances are that it will hold its price and the pro version will be stupidly expensive. :cry:
    Forum Member
    John Lewis price now gone up to £449.95! Just hoping it's so they can comply with 'Sale' requirements, pre-Easter.

I notice that, in the US, people seem to be able to get them for $500.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Geoff_W wrote: »
    John Lewis price now gone up to £449.95! Just hoping it's so they can comply with 'Sale' requirements, pre-Easter.

I notice that, in the US, people seem to be able to get them for $500.

Yes I noticed that too! The 12.2" Pro is a massive £649 at JL.

However, Simply Electrics are doing the 10.1" 2014 edition at an amazing £384 for the 32GB version:

http://www.simplyelectronics.net/mainproduct.php?pid=23370&cartid=23370&cartaction=add&sd=specs

I'm hoping they'll be equally as competitive with the 12.2" Pro (no price at present).
    Forum Member
    However, Simply Electrics are doing the 10.1" 2014 edition at an amazing £384 for the 32GB version:

That looks an interesting price!

Edit: I've looked at that site and am suspicious that what I am buying is not a UK model. I can find no UK address on the site; the use of an American spelling of 'favorite'; and in the FAQ's, 'why does my order come with a different plug?' Also, one of the customer reviews states 'At least one app thinks American and will not load UK version'.

Too risky, I think...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Keep getting virus warning and to tap ok to get rid and it takes me to a page where I have buy some security software even though I have McAfee on. Does anyone else get this? My samsung is the 2013 version.
  • oilmanoilman Posts: 4,529
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Note 10.1 2014 is one of the few models that can mirror cast to a chromecast but you will need to update firmware to kitkat 4.4.2 which has not (afaik) been rolled out in uk.

for wifi only version, you can update manually if you follow intructions in attached website url.

http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/galaxy-note-10-1-2014-edition-wi-fi-gets-p600xxucnd3-android-4-4-2-kitkat-stock-firmware-1449322

I did update, and it worked fine. I now have mirror casting capability.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    oilman wrote: »
    Note 10.1 2014 is one of the few models that can mirror cast to a chromecast but you will need to update firmware to kitkat 4.4.2 which has not (afaik) been rolled out in uk.

for wifi only version, you can update manually if you follow intructions in attached website url.

http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/galaxy-note-10-1-2014-edition-wi-fi-gets-p600xxucnd3-android-4-4-2-kitkat-stock-firmware-1449322

I did update, and it worked fine. I now have mirror casting capability.

Mine is the 2013 version though. Would it still work?
  • oilmanoilman Posts: 4,529
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    for older 10.1:-

http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/galaxy-note-10-1-gets-android-4-4-2-n8000xxudne6-kitkat-official-firmware-how-install-manually-1452561

You must check your model is N8000 for this update (wifi + 3g update)

If your model does not have 3g, then this is not right one.

may need to search web e.g. "galaxy note original 10.1 kitkat wifi only"
    You may be out of luck if a wifi only version.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    oilman wrote: »
    for older 10.1:-

http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/galaxy-note-10-1-gets-android-4-4-2-n8000xxudne6-kitkat-official-firmware-how-install-manually-1452561

You must check your model is N8000 for this update (wifi + 3g update)

If your model does not have 3g, then this is not right one.

may need to search web e.g. "galaxy note original 10.1 kitkat wifi only"
    You may be out of luck if a wifi only version.

Mine is N8010.