Gary threatens to quit unless the show improves?

InMyArmsInMyArms Posts: 50,766
Forum Member
http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/tv/s103/the-x-factor/news/a471075/gary-barlow-threatens-to-quit-x-factor.html
Barlow will attend a presentation at the end of the week with ITV and production companies Syco and Talkback before committing to a third year on the panel, The People reports.

"He knows what he wants to see so he will fly back from Los Angeles at the end of the week for a presentation.

"He wants to know that they're going to stop poking fun at the show, he wants serious singers and to know who will be on the judging panel.

"It's crunch time at the end of the week and you just can't call what it he is going to do. If he doesn't sign the deal it could leave Simon and his team with a huge problem."

Miserable Barlow wants to strip away the fun, something it's been lacking in anyway..

Comments

• JustArunJustArun Posts: 8,941
    Forum Member
    The door is open, he can leave whenever he wants to..............
  • AndybearAndybear Posts: 11,287
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He's threatened to quit loads of times ......
  • twingletwingle Posts: 19,322
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Haha and IMO he makes the show worse
  • MargueriteMarguerite Posts: 2,292
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In other words, the tail wants to wag the dog. ;)
  • _elly001_elly001 Posts: 11,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Catch-22 situation here...
  • StubeStube Posts: 16,803
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hmmm bittersweet either way.
  • urt31urt31 Posts: 2,448
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Let him go. He is incredibly boring anyway and his overriding need to stamp down on anything remotely interesting is bringing it down.

The show seems to have a fascination with ballads (or ballids, for Tulisa) that is stupid. Adele is an exception but the majority of big selling artists nowadays aren't relying on ballads. There is no reason an uptempo song can't display the same vocal ability as a ballad.
  • ritchie2ykritchie2yk Posts: 5,556
    Forum Member
    The problem is I think barlows just a bit too serious for this show, would be much better suited to the voice, at the end of the day he might not appreciate the joke acts, but it can't be denied that the likes of rylan and jedward have faired a lot better than the majority of acts on the show , and that's without me starting on barlows very own joke act that he chose himself frankie cocozza
  • sheila bligesheila blige Posts: 8,010
    Forum Member
    He won't quit. If he leaves the show it'll be because he's been dropped. He's not going to willngly walk away from Cowell's pay cheque and the exposure that the show gives him personally.

This is probably just all PR stuff for the show that he's going along with.
  • Vister:)!Vister:)! Posts: 1,822
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thank god, his voice draaaaags like this soooo much , and if he leaves that would be absolutely fantastic! (Imagine that in his voice haha) No as a song writer and artist I think he's great, but judge? He's boring, I'd love someone like Michael bulble!
  • Broken_ArrowBroken_Arrow Posts: 10,637
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Please quit! You won't be missed!
  • C14EC14E Posts: 32,165
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If Syco have any sense they'll tell him that they're going to add more joke acts this year and try and chase him out the door. It seems ITV are determined to keep him for some bizzare reason.

The story may well be rubbish, but the mere idea that Barlow is in any position to dictate the direction of the show or give ultimatums is utterly ridiculous. And yet ITV pander to him.
  • pembo2004pembo2004 Posts: 4,096
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    didnt he threaten to quit if louie came back last year

he just wants bigger pay cheque he isnt going anywhere
  • PuterkidPuterkid Posts: 9,793
    Forum Member
    Is it a threat or a promise? arrogant, self-important idiot. He is totally dispensible, what makes him think he has the power to sway the show his way?
  • barlowconnorbarlowconnor Posts: 38,120
    Forum Member
    I wish he would quit.
  • E05297535E05297535 Posts: 5,602
    Forum Member
    Hope he doesn't quit as we want to see the show back to how it was at the start...serious acts auditioning and operforming to gain some credibuility/recognition!!

Stand your grouind Gary...mthe time for joke acts is over, especially if they anything like Rylan!!!

Jedward was ok as was Wagner!!
  • phill363phill363 Posts: 24,311
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Please quit Gary.
  • Syntax ErrorSyntax Error Posts: 27,735
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And $imon Cowell's PR department goes into overdrive again.

Gary Barlow is spouting the lines fed to him by XF Central, that is all.
  • BinCatBinCat Posts: 2,125
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    C14E wrote: »
    If Syco have any sense they'll tell him that they're going to add more joke acts this year and try and chase him out the door. It seems ITV are determined to keep him for some bizzare reason.

The story may well be rubbish, but the mere idea that Barlow is in any position to dictate the direction of the show or give ultimatums is utterly ridiculous. And yet ITV pander to him.

Agree with this, I certainly won't miss the boring pillock.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,275
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    C14E wrote: »

I genuinely think it's because they can't find anyone else suitable. Someone the viewer will easily recognise, who has authority as 'head judge', has a sizeable fan club and is fairly risk-free.
  • C14EC14E Posts: 32,165
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jackbell wrote: »
    I genuinely think it's because they can't find anyone else suitable. Someone the viewer will easily recognise, who has authority as 'head judge', has a sizeable fan club and is fairly risk-free.

Does Barlow actually have any real authority on the panel these days? And the only risk they avoid in renewing his contract is the "risk" that someone might actually do the job well! :D A high risk candidate is better than someone 99% sure to put in a 2/10 performance for the third year in a row.

In 2001 Simon Cowell was entirely unknown to the public, sitting beside one of the most famous music producers in the country and something of a risk given his rather unusual character. And yet it worked.
  • sheila bligesheila blige Posts: 8,010
    Forum Member
    jackbell wrote: »

I get where you're coming from with the bits I've highlighted above - but not with the authority as 'head judge' bit. To be honest - the 'head judge' has only been heavily mentioned (largely by Barlow himself) since he joined the show. Before that although we knew there was a head judge in Simon (by reason of the show is his baby) it was always just words only and in a very, very light-hearted way. We all know that neither Louis, Tulisa, Nicole or Gary are head judge - if so - when it comes to 'deadlock' Gary's vote would override the others (as Robin Cousins' vote on DOI does). Gary is no more a head judge than I am a head of state.

Besides - Mel B is the glaringly obvious choice. Imagine Louis Walsh outnumbered on the panel by women - it'd be great!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,275
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I purposely put inverted commas around 'head judge', but he has that role on the panel. I know that doesn't mean much. I've said myself on other threads that Simon was an unknown but that was way back and I think ITV need a face the public know today. A Barlow or a Buble or a Keating. They wouldn't take a risk on a British version of LA Reid, which I would prefer.
  • kitten12kitten12 Posts: 3,505
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    rather ironic really as his departure would improve the show