Comments

• jabbamk1jabbamk1 Posts: 8,942
    Forum Member
    Tbh i hate Qualcomm for their statements. They remind me of Nvidia sometimes and their claims.

64bit is not a marketing gimmick. It is the next step forward. Some may say it's too early though. What's funny is Qualcomm are making fun of something they're going to do next year as well. I do agree though that it won't benefit users directly on iPhone 5. But by getting a userbase on 64bit now it ensures smooth transition in the future.

Their mediatek video was in bad taste as well. It just shows that rather than compete legitimatly they'd just dismiss mediatek as a nothing company.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2fihdYHJJMk

The good thing is that Qualcomm are one of the best, but it seems they're resorting to shouting down their competitors rather than letting their solutions talk for themselves.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,072
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jabbamk1 wrote: »
    Tbh i hate Qualcomm for their statements. They remind me of Nvidia sometimes and their claims.

64bit is not a marketing gimmick. It is the next step forward. Some may say it's too early though. What's funny is Qualcomm are making fun of something they're going to do next year as well.

Their mediatek video was in bad taste as well. It just shows that rather than compete legitimatly they'd just dismiss mediatek as a nothing company.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2fihdYHJJMk

The good thing is that Qualcomm are one of the best, but it seems they're resorting to shouting down their competitors rather than letting their solutions talk for themselves.

Is 64bit a gimmick? - as they rightly state the transition to 64 bit is typically to address more memory. If you only have 1gb then why would you do this :confused:

If you look at any 64bit system the performance increment is minimal. An increase in performance is primarily achieved by operating at a higher frequency and introducing parallel processing, neither of which are address by moving to 64 bit. So I can appreciate where they are coming from.

The fact Apple have switched to 64 bit is more likely to do with ARM offering the CPU design as a 64 bit architecture - which might explain the 64bit for 1gb ram puzzle.
  • swordmanswordman Posts: 6,679
    Forum Member
    I think so too and i think we all suspected as much to be honest.
  • kidspudkidspud Posts: 18,341
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    rosetech wrote: »
    Is 64bit a gimmick? - as they rightly state the transition to 64 bit is typically to address more memory. If you only have 1gb then why would you do this :confused:

If you look at any 64bit system the performance increment is minimal. An increase in performance is primarily achieved by operating at a higher frequency and introducing parallel processing, neither of which are address by moving to 64 bit. So I can appreciate where they are coming from.

The fact Apple have switched to 64 bit is more likely to do with ARM offering the CPU design as a 64 bit architecture - which might explain the 64bit for 1gb ram puzzle.

Of course it is a gimmick to Qualcomm, they didn't do it first.

Seems strange that both they and samsung are looking to do it.
  • StigglesStiggles Posts: 9,618
    Forum Member
    kidspud wrote: »
    Of course it is a gimmick to Qualcomm, they didn't do it first.

Seems strange that both they and samsung are looking to do it.

It's a complete gimmick on a phone with only 1gb of ram.

Like computers, 64bit is useless and pointless on any machine with less than 4gb of memory.
  • swordmanswordman Posts: 6,679
    Forum Member
    Exactly and as the note 3 is already at 3gb probably not long before android phones get there
  • Zack06Zack06 Posts: 28,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They have a point though. On a mobile device with less than 4GB RAM it seems a bit precipitous.

Android is based on Linux. Underneath, it is capable of 64-bit and has been for some time.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Stiggles wrote: »
    It's a complete gimmick on a phone with only 1gb of ram.

Like computers, 64bit is useless and pointless on any machine with less than 4gb of memory.

We can look forward to the 64 bit S5 being released with 5gb of RAM then.
    Forum Member

Well if it's running Touchwiz it needs 5GB :D
    Forum Member

Or 4gb.

64Bit needs 4gb or more. Did samsung say they were using it on their next phone? Must have missed that.

Going back to the original point however, its pointless on the iphone 5S to have 64bit considering it will show absolutely no benefit due to the low amount of ram.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Stiggles wrote: »
    Or 4gb.

64Bit needs 4gb or more. Did samsung say they were using it on their next phone? Must have missed that.

Going back to the original point however, its pointless on the iphone 5S to have 64bit considering it will show absolutely no benefit due to the low amount of ram.

According to JK Shin, yes.

It is either a gimmick, or sensible planning for the future. I do agree that apple don't seem to need it as much as samsung. Their devices seem to be very RAM hungry.
    Forum Member
    It is either a gimmick, or sensible planning for the future.

It's the second one. But for Apple to shout about it now (or any company) as a reason for improved performance then that's when it becomes a gimmick.

I just don't like the way Qualcomm feel they can talk down to other competitors and then do the same thing a year later. They need to watch out for Mediatek now who are going to eat into more of their marketshare. Karma..,
  • Zack06Zack06 Posts: 28,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As I said, I think it is precipitous for anyone to be considering 64-bit mobile devices at this stage. Even most PCs barely make use of the technology.

64-bit by its very nature requires more power, more RAM, more processing speed and apps are larger in size. All these things create issues for current mobile technology. It's not there yet.

Apple has implemented a very limited 64-bit system, aside from a minor performance boost which comes with 64-bit being more efficient at certain tasks, there aren't many benefits at this stage.
  • jonner101jonner101 Posts: 3,410
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What makes me laugh is that the A7 chip in the iPhone is actually manufactured by Samsung
    Forum Member
    According to JK Shin, yes.

It is either a gimmick, or sensible planning for the future. I do agree that apple don't seem to need it as much as samsung. Their devices seem to be very RAM hungry.

Sensible planning i suppose. But to put it in a device not capable of doing anything with it and bang on about it like its something superb is a mistake!

I think Samsung can be a bit ram hungry as they do pack a lot of stuff in.
  • calico_piecalico_pie Posts: 10,060
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Anyone interested in reading a fairly comprehensive article about whether or not its just a gimmick, have a read of this article:

Article link
  • enapaceenapace Posts: 4,303
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Zack06 wrote: »
    As I said, I think it is precipitous for anyone to be considering 64-bit mobile devices at this stage. Even most PCs barely make use of the technology.

64-bit by its very nature requires more power, more RAM, more processing speed and apps are larger in size. All these things create issues for current mobile technology. It's not there yet.

Apple has implemented a very limited 64-bit system, aside from a minor performance boost which comes with 64-bit being more efficient at certain tasks, there aren't many benefits at this stage.

In quite a few tasks it may even be less efficient. I can see what Apple are doing get a head start and having the developers get coding 64bit apps which is going be hardest point. I think iPhone 6 is going have to a minimum of 32GB of storage as imagine we are going start seeing 3-5GB apps due to 64Bit.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    calico_pie wrote: »
    Anyone interested in reading a fairly comprehensive article about whether or not its just a gimmick, have a read of this article:

Article link

I refuse to read the article on the basis that it might be far too balanced and informative. :)
    Forum Member
    I refuse to read the article on the basis that it might be far too balanced and informative. :)

+1

Needs more bias.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,940
    Forum Member
    In the short term, I doubt the average user is likely to notice much, if any, difference.

Seems more like laying the foundations for future development ....

Stick the average user in front of two PC's. One running 32 bit, one running 64 bit. The vast majority would not notice, nor be able to tell you, the difference.

Besides, they needed something besides the fingerprint reader to make them stand out from the crowd didn't they? :p
  • calico_piecalico_pie Posts: 10,060
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jabbamk1 wrote: »
    +1

Needs more bias.

How about this article:

64bit is pointless and useless because 64bit needs a minimum of 4GB of RAM.

Informative enough? :)
  • springyspringy Posts: 363
    Forum Member
    I think it is a big deal for apple because their apps are written in Objective C which therefore compiles to machine code. In order to take advantage of 64Bit you need to compile to it. So to get a head start and getting the majority of the apps to 64bit will help in the future when 64bit is needed.

Android is a little bit different. Android runs on Davik which is a type of virtual machine therefore it will be much easier to implement 64bit as the compiler or even the VM could do the hard work. Ok that is a simplicity view on it as there are other things to consider but for Android it should be easier.

But android using the NDK is a different story...

But moving to 64bit is all good news in my opinion.
  • enapaceenapace Posts: 4,303
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Article link

I don't need to read it because I know already it is a good idea to push 64Bit development and like that it has been done but honestly don't think it necessary. Think how many programs on windows are still 32 bit. Most 64 bit things I expect you wouldn't even use on a phone or a tablet honestly. Only major benefit I can see for phones with 64 bit technology is the use of more ram but Apple certainly don't need it for that reason. If it picks up more I will be wrong and you will be right but I think it still 1-3 years at least before it will become main stream.
    Forum Member
    How about this article:

64bit is pointless and useless because 64bit needs a minimum of 4GB of RAM.

Informative enough? :)

Needs more caps lock and exclamations marks. But yeh :D
  • IvanIVIvanIV Posts: 30,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    64bit processors have 64bit wide registers, can perform 64bit arithmetic natively, can address more than 4GB memory. The generated code is slightly bigger. Slowly our mobile phones will become more powerful than computers on our desks. Does it make sense? I am not sure.