Most notable absentees from funerals...

cobwebsoupcobwebsoup Posts: 4,852
Forum Member
✭✭✭
One thing that annoys me about the soaps is when characters who would realistically return for another characters funeral don't return and it's normally due to a lame excuse, or there's no explanation at all. Ones that spring to mind are...

Pat's funeral (Eastenders)
Natalie Evans and Peggy Mitchell.
Fair enough it would have been a bit soon to bring Peggy back after her big exit in 2010, but Natalie should have came back as her and Pat were pretty much family during the Evan's days.

Sophie and Mel Burton's funerals (Hollyoaks)
Liz Burton (their mother)
I can't remember if she was mentioned but I was very surprised she didn't come back for her daughters funerals.

Nana Moon's funeral (Eastenders)
Spencer Moon
This is probably the most unrealistic of the lot. Spencer was so close to Alfie and Nana, then he had a rushed exit and was never seen again. The only mention of him was a few days before the funeral and Alfie says he's having trouble getting in contact with him or something.

Rhys Ashworth's funeral (Hollyoaks)
Neville, Josh and Hannah Ashworth.
A bit silly that Suzanne came back but there was hardly a mention of the other family. I expected Josh to return as he'd made a brief return to Hollyoaks a few months before.

Arthur, Mark and Pauline Fowler's funerals (Eastenders)
Michelle Fowler.
I know the actress who played her didn't want to come back, but there is no way Michelle would have missed all three of their funerals, especially Paulines. There could have been ways around it (temporary recast, an off screen return ect.)

Are there any notable absentees you can think of from soap funerals? And what excuses have there been for characters not coming back?

Comments

• SMIDSYmk2SMIDSYmk2 Posts: 7,799
    Forum Member
    Sonia and Robbie not appearing at Billies funeral either was pretty ridiculous.
  • cobwebsoupcobwebsoup Posts: 4,852
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SMIDSYmk2 wrote: »
    Sonia and Robbie not appearing at Billies funeral either was pretty ridiculous.

I forgot about that. Yes that was pretty ridiculous, considering they had both returned earlier in the year for Ricky and Bianca's Wedding.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,040
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What soaps could do if an actor decides they won't come back for a funeral scene -

Hire an extra of a similar height and build

Bonus points if they have the same hairstyle, if not, use a wig. :p

Show only a back view of them with head bowed, quietly sobbing and one of the main characters comforting them and saying "poor (insert name) isn't taking this well."

Problem solved. :D
  • IanMandyIanMandy Posts: 14,893
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm surprised Diane never came back for Pat's funeral either- but she turned up for Janine's wedding
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ms Katt wrote: »
    What soaps could do if an actor decides they won't come back for a funeral scene -

Show only a back view of them with head bowed, quietly sobbing and one of the main characters comforting them and saying "poor (insert name) isn't taking this well."

Very true. I don't know why soaps never do that (although they did something similar in Coronation Street for Linda Baldwin's exit,..)
    IanMandy wrote: »
    I'm surprised Diane never came back for Pat's funeral either- but she turned up for Janine's wedding

Now you mention it, yes that was a bit odd.
  • gboygboy Posts: 4,989
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ms Katt wrote: »

Am I right in thinking that's what they did with Pauline at Arthur's funeral as Wendy Richard was ill and couldn't make the filming...?
  • LiamBerryTea ~LiamBerryTea ~ Posts: 2,633
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cobwebsoup wrote: »
    Very true. I don't know why soaps never do that (although they did something similar in Coronation Street for Linda Baldwin's exit,..)

What did they do for it?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What did they do for it?

I can't find the link but it is on Youtube somewhere. The actress who played Linda had already left Coronation Street for some reason, and they filmed an episode a few weeks after where Mike confronted her at a hotel and forced her into a car. They used a different actress for the scene and didn't show her face and she kept her back to the camera. The whole thing looked a bit daft.
  • GlendarrochGlendarroch Posts: 20,489
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Neither John Barton, nor his wife Moira's parents turned up for his funeral. Both had referred in the past to mothers who were still alive, so they had at least one parent each. Why wouldn't John's parent(s) or his in-law(s) be at his funeral? They wouldn't have had the problem of casting look alikes or bringing back former cast members, as these characters hadn't appeared. They could simply have brought in some extras who Moira could have introduced to villagers. Instead they had lots of extras in the background, and no one even mentioned them or asked who they were. I expected to at least see one scene with Moira being comforted by her Mum!

Edit: sorry. they're in Emmerdale!
  • bumpandgrindbumpandgrind Posts: 12,543
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    gboy wrote: »
    Am I right in thinking that's what they did with Pauline at Arthur's funeral as Wendy Richard was ill and couldn't make the filming...?

Wendy was there:

http://i.ytimg.com/vi/S4xM3-fvvfE/0.jpg

http://news.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/hi/entertainment/newsid_7913000/7913449.stm
  • Top_TrumpsTop_Trumps Posts: 2,097
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gboy wrote: »

Here it is at 00:11 secs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S4xM3-fvvfE
  • The_abbottThe_abbott Posts: 26,931
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When Madge died in Naighbours:

no Charlene
    no Henry
    no Tom
    no Max
    no SHane
    no Danny
    no kids from the above like Gemma

All she got was Harold and two plebs that lived with her.
  • jw2011jw2011 Posts: 840
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think these days producers do a lot more off screen funerals such as Ashley and Betty in Coronation Street.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 29,701
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Funeral gatecrashers/people who shouldn't have been there:

Den's funeral: Peggy
    Derek's funeral: Kirsty
    Pat's funeral: Derek
    Trina's funeral: Stacey
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Peggy was at Angie's funeral too though heaven knows why? :confused:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Peggy was at Angie's funeral too though heaven knows why? :confused:

Yeah, and her warning to Sharon after she'd just buried her mum was a "WTF" moment.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    maurice45 wrote: »
    Yeah, and her warning to Sharon after she'd just buried her mum was a "WTF" moment.

Peggy had no right, especially after Sharon had just buried her mum, Shazza should have slapped her!

And Peggy's warning- what exactly was she going to do. She's a tiny, old lady!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Peggy had no right, especially after Sharon had just buried her mum, Shazza should have slapped her!

Shriek, shout and throw things around of course :D

I know, it was rather heartless of Peggy to do that, rather reminiscent of Derek's warning to David at Pat's funeral.
  • IzzyInTheHouseIzzyInTheHouse Posts: 4,348
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Wow, you've never met some of the people I know. The older ladies are the ones to watch out for, especially if they are like Peggy!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wow, you've never met some of the people I know. The older ladies are the ones to watch out for, especially if they are like Peggy!

Sharon could have taken Peggy if she wanted
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sharon could have taken Peggy if she wanted

I don't know, Peggy is pretty damn fiesty. Sharon's never been much of a fighter in that sense. Unlike Janine, Stacey etc., she doesn't really like fighting (IMO), whereas those 3 will throw you to the ground!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't know, Peggy is pretty damn fiesty. Sharon's never been much of a fighter in that sense. Unlike Janine, Stacey etc., she doesn't really like fighting (IMO), whereas those 3 will throw you to the ground!

I've never seen Sharon in a proper fight (Zoe, but I'm not counting that), but her fearless nature makes me think she can handle herself.

Peggy, IMO, is well past her prime, but I have no doubt that she was a great fighter once upon a time.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

True, Sharon isn't really a fighter but I think if forced to, she would beat Peggy. She's younger and physically fitter.

Like here
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-iyg_UJfDJE
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    True, Sharon isn't really a fighter but I think if forced to, she would beat Peggy. She's younger and physically fitter.

Like here
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-iyg_UJfDJE

OWNED :D:D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    maurice45 wrote: »
    I've never seen Sharon in a proper fight (Zoe, but I'm not counting that), but her fearless nature makes me think she can handle herself.

Peggy, IMO, is well past her prime, but I have no doubt that she was a great fighter once upon a time.

Hmm I just watched the Zoe/Sharon fight and she was pretty hardcore.

I dunno, I just think Peggy really would fight to the death (for her family at least).