Chris Cooper cast as Norman Osborn in Amazing Spiderman 2

Comments

• Inky BinkyInky Binky Posts: 2,261
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's VERY disappointing. I'm not talking about the actor (he's good). I'm talking about the choice of villain that he's playing (Norman Osborn/Green Goblin). I was hoping that the new Spider-Man franchise would stay away from the villains that Sam Raimi used in his Spider-Man films. There's plenty to choose from so this is just lazy. Even though they don't actually say that the Green Goblin will appear in the 2nd film they're clearly setting the premise that he will eventually appear in the rebooted franchise at some point (3rd film? 4th film?).

Guess we'll just have to see what they have planned.
  • MotthusMotthus Posts: 7,280
    Forum Member
    I actually hope that they have him as the Green Goblin in the third and go down the route of the Gwen Stacey story from the comics but Ive got a feeling they won't which is a pity!
  • ListentomeListentome Posts: 9,804
    Forum Member
    Inky Binky wrote: »
    That's VERY disappointing. I'm not talking about the actor (he's good). I'm talking about the choice of villain that he's playing (Norman Osborn/Green Goblin). I was hoping that the new Spider-Man franchise would stay away from the villains that Sam Raimi used in his Spider-Man films. There's plenty to choose from so this is just lazy. Even though they don't actually say that the Green Goblin will appear in the 2nd film they're clearly setting the premise that he will eventually appear in the rebooted franchise at some point (3rd film? 4th film?).

Guess we'll just have to see what they have planned.

Have to disagree. I'm really excited about Norman Osborne appearing, especially if they follow the Gwen Stacy plot from the comics. If he does eventually become GG, I wonder how they will handle the costume, given they resorted to a Power Rangers GG in the Riami version because trying it this way didn't make sense.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QEZBhL5lpqg

If anything I am more disappointed that
    Mary Jane is being included in the sequel.
    Motthus wrote: »
    I actually hope that they have him as the Green Goblin in the third and go down the route of the Gwen Stacey story from the comics but Ive got a feeling they won't which is a pity!

Agreed.

Also, what do people think of the new costume for the sequel? Seems more like the traditional Spidey costume, but perhaps a little too identical to the Tobey McGuire one.
  • AlrightmateAlrightmate Posts: 73,120
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I thought Willem Dafoe was a great casting choice for the Green Goblin in the first Raimi film. Inspired in fact.
    However it was wasted as the GG costume was just simply appalling.
    It felt more like an Iron Man sort of costume where you couldn't actually see any facial performance as the GG.

So I don't mind them having another crack at the Green Goblin as long as they do him better than in the Raimi film where an excellent actor was wasted.
  • AlrightmateAlrightmate Posts: 73,120
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hey Listentome, thanks for that youtube link to the original Green Goblin mask tests.
    I've never seen that before. Very interesting.

I also agree that they should go down the Gwen Stacey story route.
    They've already done the Mary Jane thing. Pointless to repeat that. I hope they aren't just playing too safe and afraid to stray too far away from the Sam Raimi films. If they are then what's the point of rebooting it at all?
  • Nolan DeckardNolan Deckard Posts: 889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Maniacal laugh....Maniacal laugh.....
  • YuffieYuffie Posts: 9,864
    Forum Member
    I don't want them to go down the Gwen route because ...
    Don't they kill her ?

And then isn't that where Mary Jane comes into it ?

So we would be back to square 1 like the Raimi films.

I don't want that !
  • PhoenixRisesPhoenixRises Posts: 2,607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yuffie wrote: »
    I don't want them to go down the Gwen route because ...
    Don't they kill her ?

And then isn't that where Mary Jane comes into it ?

So we would be back to square 1 like the Raimi films.

I don't want that !

The problem with the Gwen route is that they did a very similar thing in the first spider-man film with MJ so if they were to do it again then it would result in complaint of it being done before so I don't think they can do that - they already got those complaints for the last one.

I would say that the Green Goblin is an arch nemesis of Spider-man so to not include him in the rebooted series would be wrong, so I have no complaint of that.
  • ASIFZEDASIFZED Posts: 1,388
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Isn't this film going to be called 'The Spectacular Spider-Man' ? Isn't TASM 2, just a working title?
  • MotthusMotthus Posts: 7,280
    Forum Member
    Not that I've read.Where did you hear that?It could be a good idea to give the sequels different titles like that but it may confuse the general public!
  • ASIFZEDASIFZED Posts: 1,388
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yep. Definitely read this at the time of the reboot, with the mooted 3rd part called Web of Spider-Man. Did see this online elsewhere just recently, saying that the current title is just a working title. Would show a bit more creativity at least and acknowledge his comic book roots. Just like Man of Steel...
    Forum Member
    I thought Willem Dafoe was a great casting choice for the Green Goblin in the first Raimi film. Inspired in fact.
    However it was wasted as the GG costume was just simply appalling.
    It felt more like an Iron Man sort of costume where you couldn't actually see any facial performance as the GG.

So I don't mind them having another crack at the Green Goblin as long as they do him better than in the Raimi film where an excellent actor was wasted.
    Hey Listentome, thanks for that youtube link to the original Green Goblin mask tests.
    I've never seen that before. Very interesting.

I also agree that they should go down the Gwen Stacey story route.
    They've already done the Mary Jane thing. Pointless to repeat that. I hope they aren't just playing too safe and afraid to stray too far away from the Sam Raimi films. If they are then what's the point of rebooting it at all?

Yeah, I came across that video by accident.

Interestingly, apparently Riami was really happy with the design test in that video, but it was Willem Defoe that refused to wear it for many reasons, but I think the main ones were it would mean either Norman really mutated into a goblin or he was an animatronics expert. It works in comics and cartoons, but not in 'reality'. Thus, we got the Power Rangers costume, which despite looking awful and nothing like the GG, was a more realistic option.

I can see them coming into the same problem in the reboots, so I guess, they will have to give Oscorp an animatronics department that Norman utilises or have him actually morph into a goblin. :D
  • circlebro2019circlebro2019 Posts: 17,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    why did they change spideys suit

its fine from amazing spiderman
    Forum Member
    whedon247 wrote: »
    why did they change spideys suit

its fine from amazing spiderman

It looks more like the traditional Spidey suit, but a little too much like the Tobey McGuire one from those pics.
  • circlebro2019circlebro2019 Posts: 17,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Listentome wrote: »
    It looks more like the traditional Spidey suit, but a little too much like the Tobey McGuire one from those pics.

i liked the one from the reboot film,surprised they have changed it
    Forum Member
    whedon247 wrote: »
    i liked the one from the reboot film,surprised they have changed it

Maybe it wasn't as practical as they had hoped for the actor to wear. I like the colours of it, and Garfield's lean build fit with my vision of Spidey.
  • HelboreHelbore Posts: 16,066
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The problem with the Gwen route is that they did a very similar thing in the first spider-man film with MJ so if they were to do it again then it would result in complaint of it being done before so I don't think they can do that - they already got those complaints for the last one.

They don't necessarily have to play out the Gwen storyline identical to the comics. It could go the same route, but with the specifics of how it plays out being completely different.

Being as they are introducing MJ in the second film and now Norman Osborn too, I think its almost certain they will go the same route as the comics by the third film.
    I'm betting Emma Stone will only do three films anyway and will be happy to leave Gwen dead at the end of the third.