Did being with Tom Cruise destroy Katie Holmes' career?

2»

Comments

• farscapefarscape Posts: 2,902
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pointy wrote: »
    Her career was in the doldrums when she got together with TC. It actually gave her profile a boost. She was never that talented though, I always thought Michelle Williams was the better actress in Dawson's Creek. Katie was the DC producers pet so got shoved down our throats until it killed the show.

Batman Begins is the doldrums? :eek:
  • SpaceToiletsSpaceToilets Posts: 3,343
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Now Katie Holmes has left Tom Cruise she will probably win an Oscar. The moment Nicole Kidman and Penelope Cruz left him they won that statue.
  • dee123dee123 Posts: 46,252
    Forum Member
    farscape wrote: »
    I remember it being rumoured at the time that the producers of Batman Begins were pretty pissed off that a lot of the press for the movie was being overshadowed by the whole Tom Cruise/Katie Holmes thing.

Yep. She wasn't asked back for a reason.
  • Westy2Westy2 Posts: 14,483
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Surely getting together with Tom Cruise should come with a health warning?
  • Big Boy BarryBig Boy Barry Posts: 35,369
    Forum Member
    Being an incredibly limited actress destroyed Katie Holmes career.

Outside of being a sweet natured best friend, or girl next door, she's pretty much useless.
  • PsychosisPsychosis Posts: 18,591
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think her lack of talent and ambition had more to do with it.

Let's not forget that there are plenty of scientologists achieving success, such as Tom Cruise. It hasn't pulled him down, and if anything Katie would have been seen as a victim and therefore more sympathetic.
  • Big Boy BarryBig Boy Barry Posts: 35,369
    Forum Member
    Katie didn't give herself fully to Scientology. That's why she failed. She allowed doubt to cloud her belief in LRH (praise be with him) and thus Xenu prevailed.
  • AdelaideGirlAdelaideGirl Posts: 3,498
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Psychosis wrote: »
    I think her lack of talent and ambition had more to do with it.

Let's not forget that there are plenty of scientologists achieving success, such as Tom Cruise. It hasn't pulled him down, and if anything Katie would have been seen as a victim and therefore more sympathetic.

It could be argued that in recent years its been pretty damaging. More and more he's seen as a bit of a joke. Certainly his career is not what it was.

Katie has a nice little career going that involved some interesting roles in small or quirky films. I don't think she is ever going to be A+list but then I don't think she wanted to be. Being married to Tom had an effect - he's A list and their relationship attracted A list publicity so she can't really be cast in B list/ arty films.
  • biggebruvbiggebruv Posts: 6,626
    Forum Member
    She probly didt agree to do dark knight when she found out her character had been made to be purposely killed off in the dark knight she was probly to big headed to get over the fact she was being killed off

I dont buy the she couldt do it because of another film excuse yeah whatever
  • Azura's StarAzura's Star Posts: 3,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    All she had to do prior to getting together with him was type 'Tom Cruise' into google. The end.

Exactly.
    Are we really expected to believe that Katie Holmes was the only woman in America (and quite possibly the entire world) who DIDN'T know that Teeny Tiny Tom was a complete nutjob?

I don't think being with TTT destroyed her career-she did that by herself.
    From what I've seen of her, she's a very pretty girl and a fairly average actress - hardly a rarity in Hollywood.
    She's seems to have been elevated up the celebrity ladder by association with TTT but that's about it.
    I know it's slightly OT but I was utterly bemused by all the people "congratulating" her on her "escape", as though TTT had somehow been holding her prisoner in an underground dungeon.
    She CHOSE to marry him, and even worse, she CHOSE to have a child with him.
    As far as I'm concerned, that was a far more cynical career move than any film role.
  • biggebruvbiggebruv Posts: 6,626
    Forum Member
    Exactly.
    Are we really expected to believe that Katie Holmes was the only woman in America (and quite possibly the entire world) who DIDN'T know that Teeny Tiny Tom was a complete nutjob?

I don't think being with TTT destroyed her career-she did that by herself.
    From what I've seen of her, she's a very pretty girl and a fairly average actress - hardly a rarity in Hollywood.
    She's seems to have been elevated up the celebrity ladder by association with TTT but that's about it.
    I know it's slightly OT but I was utterly bemused by all the people "congratulating" her on her "escape", as though TTT had somehow been holding her prisoner in an underground dungeon.
    She CHOSE to marry him, and even worse, she CHOSE to have a child with him.
    As far as I'm concerned, that was a far more cynical career move than any film role.

but you don't know him personally do you

you only know what the media wants you to know which is the crazy things.

Hes done a very few weird things sure but hes probably the sweetest guy Katie Holmes has ever met for all we know im sure reports about tom cruise went OTT back then he gave them enough ammunition for them to do it but Id bet only 10% out of a 100 them were true
  • Pistol WhipPistol Whip Posts: 9,677
    Forum Member
    She's a good actress and there isn't any reason why she can't have success again, all that it takes is one film.

Personally I preferred Maggie Gyllenhaal in the role as Rachel Dawes.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,660
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Destroy? No.

Mess it up? Yes, and Thank You For Smoking's edits at his request to a studio head who basically have the director an ultimatum to make the cuts, and have a career or not make them, have the studio make them anyway before the theatrical wide release and not have one.
  • BadcatBadcat Posts: 3,684
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think he got his claws into her JUST as her career was taking off and that meant it did damage her career as she couldn't get the jobs she needed because she was too busy having to be "Tom Cruises" wife.

She'll be ok, look at Nicole Kidman she is doing really well for herself, as will Katie
  • The PrumeisterThe Prumeister Posts: 22,398
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    biggebruv wrote: »
    but you don't know him personally do you

you only know what the media wants you to know which is the crazy things.

Hes done a very few weird things sure but hes probably the sweetest guy Katie Holmes has ever met for all we know im sure reports about tom cruise went OTT back then he gave them enough ammunition for them to do it but Id bet only 10% out of a 100 them were true

If you class a man who dismisses psychiatric drugs for postnatal depression as 'unnecessary' then yes, I'm sure he's incredibly 'sweet'.

The trouble is, he sacked his sister as his publicist and then showed his true colours. He is deranged and espouses some incredibly dangerous and downright lunatic views. Read up on Scientology; it is utter, utter nonsense.
  • haphashhaphash Posts: 21,448
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Her career was in the doldrums when she got together with TC. It actually gave her profile a boost. She was never that talented though, I always thought Michelle Williams was the better actress in Dawson's Creek. Katie was the DC producers pet so got shoved down our throats until it killed the show.

I agree. She was so dull in that show. I couldn't understand what the fuss was about.
  • koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭

Yes Michelle Williams was definitely the better actress and character on DC.

I always thought it was the behind the scenes politics that gave Katie more attention than Michelle. Plus the little girl viewers were jealous of Michelle's character.

Michelle has proved what a great actress she is with all the roles she's taken on, most of them in independent movies.
  • PointyPointy Posts: 1,762
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Batman Begins was her only decent film circa that time. It was a lifeline from a succession of dull flops. Yet she jumped ship and missed it's blockbuster sequel. I didn't miss her much as as she was the least interesting headline performance in Batman Begins. Maggie Gylenhaal came in and sparkled in the same role. At least Katie managed to bag roles in films like Jack and Jill afterwards... :o
  • PointyPointy Posts: 1,762
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can only but concur, haphash and koantemplation. :)
  • dee123dee123 Posts: 46,252
    Forum Member

Well what came before and after it?
  • AdelaideGirlAdelaideGirl Posts: 3,498
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Before Go, Wonder Boys, Peices of April - respectable B list somewhat indepent stuff.

After - not much till the Kennedys
  • fifitrixibellefifitrixibelle Posts: 3,834
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes Michelle Williams was definitely the better actress and character on DC.

I always thought it was the behind the scenes politics that gave Katie more attention than Michelle. Plus the little girl viewers were jealous of Michelle's character.

Michelle has proved what a great actress she is with all the roles she's taken on, most of them in independent movies.

Yep, have to agree about Michelle Williams, a beautiful lady and a good actress.....KH average/average IMO.
    I agree with other posters sentiment that it would have been impossible for her not to have any inkling about TC his beliefs and the situation with his and NC children.....I'm pretty sure her parents who she seemed to turn her backs on at the time must have spoken to her and advised about the speed of it all.
    Luckily for her they supported her and helped with the massive expense of getting out of that situation and most importantly getting out with Suri.
    She is fortunate to have had such a family and I appreciate she was young...l maybe she has learnt not to let her ego and vanity take such a grip over common sense in future.
  • FlohFloh Posts: 4,999
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Julie68 wrote: »
    I think Tom made Katies' career rather than destroy it. It was the dirty way she left him that, I think, destroyed her career.
    She was so cold and did it all behind his back.

She didn't leave in a dirty way. She left before he sent her a text or the like telling her it was all over, just as he did with Nicole Kidman. Katie's lawyer father saw to it Katie managed to end it her way and ensure she wasn't cut off from her child as Nicole was from her two children with Cruise.

I haven't noticed Katie being an exceptionally talented actress. I don't think her association with Cruise has assisted her.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 87
    Forum Member
    No....I'm sorry, maybe it was just Dawsons Creek, but Katie Holmes is MORE the leading lady than Michelle Williams will ever be.

Michelle just seems like a wet piece of paper and limp acting compared to Katie, she doesn't even have to say anything and I'm drawn in.

Michelle just makes me want to go and take the bins out.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 270
    Forum Member
    I've never seen Dawson's Creek and have to admit I googled her after the Oprah Couch incident. I only associate her with being Cruise's ex - can't name any movies she's been in.