Most padded shows on TV?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 279
Forum Member
Deal or no Deal wins the crown of course, no show will ever be as padded as that dreck. Pointless is up there too, since the beginning they have reduced the number of contestants as well as the questions - it's kind of pathetic really. I literally cannot watch Pointless without first recording it and fast forwarding through the endless drivel - do we need to "check" the scores half way through the round when they're clearly on view, and do we need Alexander to read out what is on the board twice for us, and do we need to know the intimate life stories of each contestant? Jesus H, the show doesn't have fill itself out with mindless crap.

Also the Big bang Theory is padded with endless amounts of audience laughter - it's as if the audience are off their faces and competing with eachother to try and make sure they can be heard in the audience once the show goes to air.

What are your nominations for most padded show?

Comments

• Mr TeacakeMr Teacake Posts: 6,593
    Forum Member
    Millionaire is pretty bad for this, if you consider how many questions are asked over an hour's show you'd probably be surprised just how low it is with the amount of 'padding'.

In fairness to Pointless I really like both Alexander and Richard (both can be very witty) so it's not so bad on Pointless although I'd fast forward it if I could. (TIP: Pointless airs at 5.15 but the first question doesn't start til 5.20)

Eggheads is also long drawn out but not as bad as others e.g. teams deciding which egghead to take/challenegers introduction.

The Chase isn't too bad for padding but the ad breaks counter this.

Ultimately, i think DOND is the worst offender, especially when the contestant plays on after accepting the bankers offer, although I guess one can swith off as soon as the offer is taken.

Another offender was the lotto gameshow presented by Ben Shepherd (1 vs. 100), questions were scacre because of the format.
  • elnombreelnombre Posts: 3,625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    UserXYZ wrote: »
    Also the Big bang Theory is padded with endless amounts of audience laughter - it's as if the audience are off their faces and competing with eachother to try and make sure they can be heard in the audience once the show goes to air.

I've watched dozens of studio based sitcoms over the years and have certainly not noticed any 'endless amounts of audience laughter' on TBBT. Nothing out of the ordinary. Married With Children on the other hand, while a good show, would have extended periods of obnoxious whooping, and the execrable Will & Grace must have been filmed by some sort of leaky nitrous oxide line.

Couldn't agree more on DOND - in fact the padding has literally swallowed up the rest of the show so that it now resembles a meeting of some sort of social club for creepy deranged misfits that happens to have a game going on in one corner.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,583
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    All the talent shows. X-Factor, BGT, Dancing On Ice, and even Strictly are ridiculous when it comes to pointless filler crap. I only tend to watch them via download now so I fast-forward through all the rubbish. Luckily I don't care about spoilers for the most part.
  • mrblankmrblank Posts: 5,687
    Forum Member
    i would watch pointless if it was half an hour but its not the sort of show id want to record so i could fast forward it.
  • Jimmy_McNultyJimmy_McNulty Posts: 11,378
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    pointless has been ruined since it moved to beeb1, i watched it the other day for the first time in ages and couldn't believe how bad it was.
  • kitten12kitten12 Posts: 3,505
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DOND was a stretch at 45 minutes, at an hour it is unbearable - although Noel makes this doubly so. And don't start me on the sob stories.

It's a f**king guessing game!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,481
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nyota wrote: »
    All the talent shows. X-Factor, BGT, Dancing On Ice, and even Strictly are ridiculous when it comes to pointless filler crap. I only tend to watch them via download now so I fast-forward through all the rubbish. Luckily I don't care about spoilers for the most part.

I know a lot of ppl complain about these in particular - esp the amount of adverts - but the programmes have to do something to cover up for the set up time for the next act/performance (and fill their greedy coffers :mad: ).

This year we've been complaining about the additional time in fillers :( during Great British Menu :o . They have added a whole set of sequences of the chefs talking... either 'back of kitchen' to each other or to camera after their dishes have been assessed... and it's all getting very same-y... obv they're going to big up their own dishes... they're hardly likely to say they didn't like what they produced... Extra filler means less time actually watching them cook... :(
  • FayecorgasmFayecorgasm Posts: 29,793
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think the apprentice pads too much now the boardroom is a rehash of the already too short actual film of the challenge .
  • chrisbartleychrisbartley Posts: 1,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    . Extra filler means less time actually watching them cook...
    But the difference between filler and watching them cooking is pretty marginal
  • factor50factor50 Posts: 513
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What about Million Pound Drop?

They have 1 minute to choose an answer and move their money. Then Davina describes for two minutes what we have literally just watched over the last minute. Then sometimes we have a massive pause before they reveal whats gunna drop, then she says "after the break". Then after the break she spends another few minutes describing what she described before the break, that we watched only seconds before. Its fast forward or nowt on that show for me I'm afraid.
  • 5 a day5 a day Posts: 12,558
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    DOND for me. Haven't watched it since the first one that was stretched to an hour. Totally unbearable.

Are there any shows that would benefit from some more padding (i.e. feel a bit rushed as they are)?
  • VerenceVerence Posts: 104,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    X Factor results show, there's no way it needs to be an hour long.

Coverage of any live football game is a another one. Does there really need to be at least half an hour of nattering in the studio before the game and the same again after the game??
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,910
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Deal Or No Deal without a doubt :yawn:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,434
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    factor50 wrote: »
    What about Million Pound Drop?

They have 1 minute to choose an answer and move their money. Then Davina describes for two minutes what we have literally just watched over the last minute. Then sometimes we have a massive pause before they reveal whats gunna drop, then she says "after the break". Then after the break she spends another few minutes describing what she described before the break, that we watched only seconds before. Its fast forward or nowt on that show for me I'm afraid.

Yes I agree this is probably the worst one
    Your description is very accurate of this programme
    You have to be careful about fast forwarding though
    as sometimes you get 2 or 3 idiots on the trot who lose
    all their money after just 1 or 2 questions and generally
    that's the best part of watching this show. Having to rewind
    doesn't make that moment quite as funny

Ramsey's KItchen Nightmares and a few others are also
    really bad the way they must recap everything you have
    seen before the ad breaks
  • koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Family Guy sometimes pads out a show with a Conway Twitty video or the Chicken fight.
  • g-bhxug-bhxu Posts: 2,594
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In It To Win It.

When the contestants tell Dale the logic for their answer.

Well Dale, it can't be "A" because....
  • RorschachRorschach Posts: 10,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This years Great British Menu.

Four episodes when the chefs cook each course, padded out with scenes of what happened the day before (which we have already seen), ends with preview scenes of the following show (which then makes them repeats the following day) and extra padding of completely pointless chats with Olympians. "Chef X wants to know what's makes a winning dish for this years competition, so he's going to chat to an Olympic rower" :confused:

Then on Friday we see two of the chefs prepare exactly the same meals again, with of course plenty of flashback scenes from the earlier days.

Cut out the previously on, the coming tomorrow and the pointless Olympian chats and you could probably fit all five days worth of shows (two and a half hours) in the same half hour.

(Maybe 45 mins, certainly in one hour with a little spare).
  • billyboy789billyboy789 Posts: 1,373
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I often think the choosing of the letters on countdown is a waste of time, surely a computer could choose a random mixture of 4 vowels and 5 consonants in a macro-second, this would mean that Rachel would have less to do, but we would still need her for the Number Game.
  • far2coolfar2cool Posts: 6,334
    Forum Member
    bullman wrote: »
    Yes I agree this is probably the worst one
    Your description is very accurate of this programme
    You have to be careful about fast forwarding though
    as sometimes you get 2 or 3 idiots on the trot who lose
    all their money after just 1 or 2 questions and generally
    that's the best part of watching this show. Having to rewind
    doesn't make that moment quite as funny

Ramsey's KItchen Nightmares and a few others are also
    really bad the way they must recap everything you have
    seen before the ad breaks

faulty 'enter' button?
  • 5 a day5 a day Posts: 12,558
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I often think the choosing of the letters on countdown is a waste of time, surely a computer could choose a random mixture of 4 vowels and 5 consonants in a macro-second, this would mean that Rachel would have less to do, but we would still need her for the Number Game.

Contestants can pick from 3 to 5 vowels though. There can be a degree of tactical play in this, and more so in the numbers games.
  • LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,649
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mitchell and Webb had it spot on in the Gift Shop Sketch: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7MFtl2XXnUc
    Forum Member
    LostFool wrote: »
    Mitchell and Webb had it spot on in the Gift Shop Sketch: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7MFtl2XXnUc

amazing.
  • Lou KellyLou Kelly Posts: 2,778
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Gadget Show on Channel 5. When they announce the competition they spend at least 10 minutes reading out every single prize (over 200 of them). This coupled with the adverts delivers a show of around 35 minutes packed into one hour.

And Jason's a massive knob.
    Forum Member
    Lou Kelly wrote: »
    The Gadget Show on Channel 5. When they announce the competition the spend at least 10 minutes reading out every single prize (over 200 of them). This coupled with the adverts delivers a show of around 35 minutes packed into one hour.

oooh, that's my favourite bit! :D:D:D
  • pburke90pburke90 Posts: 14,758
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lou Kelly wrote: »
    The Gadget Show on Channel 5. When they announce the competition they spend at least 10 minutes reading out every single prize (over 200 of them). This coupled with the adverts delivers a show of around 35 minutes packed into one hour.

And Jason's a massive knob.
    Post of the day!