Lily Allen and the John Lewis Christmas Advert

sunrisegirlsunrisegirl Posts: 302
Forum Member
After weeks of rumours, the John Lewis 2013 Christmas ad is today revealed. Its musical centrepiece is Lily Allen covering Keane's Somewhere Only We Know.

The animated ad is based on a short story about the spirit of Christmas dubbed 'The Bear And The Hare', and has been put together by agency Adam&Eve/DDB. You can watch it below.

Somewhere Only We Know is published by Universal Music Publishing, while Lily Allen's label is the now-Warner-owned Parlophone. Her management is handled by Rocket Management. All sides are understood to have been integral in closing the deal with John Lewis. Annie Lennox is also believed to have been in the running to record the ad's soundtrack.

The new John Lewis campaign is reported to have a whopping £7m marketing fund behind it. Such heavy Q4 TV exposure would be perfect timing for the BRIT Award-winning Allen, whose third studio album is due to be released in the new year.

The ad will be shown during the break of this Saturday's X Factor on ITV1.

The magic formula of a young act covering a classic song has been evident in the last four above-the-line John Lewis TV ad campaigns - all of which are known in trade sync circles for setting in motion the "John Lewis effect" of accelerated sales and exposure.

Recent examples have included, Ellie Goulding covering Elton John classic Your Song, taking her new version of the song to the top of the iTunes chart, and Gabrielle Aplin's cover of Frankie Goes To Hollywood's Power Of Love - which went on to become an Official UK No.1 single.

You can watch the John Lewis 2013 Christmas ad below.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XqWig2WARb0

Comments

• Diane_RobDiane_Rob Posts: 1,261
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Aw that's sweet and lovely, lovely cover by Lily too!
  • Hav_mor91Hav_mor91 Posts: 17,183
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I really liked it a nice theme, good animation and a good cover by Lily too it's a bit sacchrine but when are the JL adverts not :p
  • HeavenlyHeavenly Posts: 31,915
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Love the ad, thank God Lily has done the song, cannot abide Keane.
  • gasheadgashead Posts: 13,807
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    After weeks of rumours, the John Lewis 2013 Christmas ad is today revealed. Its musical centrepiece is Lily Allen covering Keane's Somewhere Only We Know.

The animated ad is based on a short story about the spirit of Christmas dubbed 'The Bear And The Hare', and has been put together by agency Adam&Eve/DDB. You can watch it below.

Somewhere Only We Know is published by Universal Music Publishing, while Lily Allen's label is the now-Warner-owned Parlophone. Her management is handled by Rocket Management. All sides are understood to have been integral in closing the deal with John Lewis. Annie Lennox is also believed to have been in the running to record the ad's soundtrack.

The new John Lewis campaign is reported to have a whopping £7m marketing fund behind it. Such heavy Q4 TV exposure would be perfect timing for the BRIT Award-winning Allen, whose third studio album is due to be released in the new year.

The ad will be shown during the break of this Saturday's X Factor on ITV1.

The magic formula of a young act covering a classic song has been evident in the last four above-the-line John Lewis TV ad campaigns - all of which are known in trade sync circles for setting in motion the "John Lewis effect" of accelerated sales and exposure.

Recent examples have included, Ellie Goulding covering Elton John classic Your Song, taking her new version of the song to the top of the iTunes chart, and Gabrielle Aplin's cover of Frankie Goes To Hollywood's Power Of Love - which went on to become an Official UK No.1 single.

You can watch the John Lewis 2013 Christmas ad below.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XqWig2WARb0
    Great bit of PR/ marketing blurb there, but I'd hardly describe Lilly Allen as a "young act", nor Somewhere Only We Know as a "classic". :D
  • Everything GoesEverything Goes Posts: 12,972
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Aww that is lovely :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,302
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    meh

if it's a Xmas ad they should do a Xmas song imo.
  • JamieHTJamieHT Posts: 12,193
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Heavenly wrote: »

I'm the opposite. I can't stand Lily's voice/pronunciation.
  • HeavenlyHeavenly Posts: 31,915
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JamieHT wrote: »

Its not that I am a Lily Cole fan...but anything apart from that tit from Keane is an improvement.
  • MrMarpleMrMarple Posts: 3,424
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Its not that I am a Lily Cole fan...but anything apart from that tit from Keane is an improvement.

Erm........ Lily Cole isn't singing it, or am I missing something?
  • MicrokorgMicrokorg Posts: 2,670
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Grrr
    Thought the silly bint had 'retired'?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 234
    Forum Member
    Just bore witness to said ad, would be better with no sound an horrific cover of an average song by an average band. Made worse by Lily Allen's pathetic vocal ability. But then again anything is made worse if you attach Lily Allen to it!!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dekkard wrote: »
    Just bore witness to said ad, would be better with no sound an horrific cover of an average song by an average band. Made worse by Lily Allen's pathetic vocal ability. But then again anything is made worse if you attach Lily Allen to it!!
    Don't worry, you'll only be hearing it about 200 times between now and Xmas :D
  • dee123dee123 Posts: 46,195
    Forum Member
    JamieHT wrote: »

I don't like either's pronunciation of the song :D
  • MrfentyMrfenty Posts: 717
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Smudged wrote: »
    Don't worry, you'll only be hearing it about 200 times between now and Xmas :D

I think thats the desired effect, this a great PR move for Lily slowly moving back into the publics awareness, building up some interest before she releases new music early next year.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mrfenty wrote: »
    I think thats the desired effect, this a great PR move for Lily slowly moving back into the publics awareness, building up some interest before she releases new music early next year.
    Adverts rock!
  • SemieroticSemierotic Posts: 11,131
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Allen can't sing, but that aside she's a more engaging popstar than most.
  • Daisy BennybootsDaisy Bennyboots Posts: 18,375
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Soppy advert. I quite liked the JL ad a few years ago featuring the Smith cover, but this is dreadful. Of all the people with beautiful, haunting voices who could have made it a stunning cover, they inexplicably pick Lily Allen? Why?

I used to like Keane, I thought Hopes And Fears was a good album, but Alan Partridge as ruined their music for me now :D

Seriously, what a load of sentimental dirge. But then I can see it being attractive to womenchildren everywhere, crying into their Winnie the Pooh stationery.

It's not for me :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,177
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    like this advert, it's great to have Lily back. Expecting this to be top 10 come christmas week.

I don't think they'll ever beat this though; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pSLOnR1s74o
  • squirtlesquirtle Posts: 567
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As adverts starring bears go, I prefer the Muller rice bear. He sings better than Lily Allen and does that cool dance at the end.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yhIZ9Xgmpno
  • dearmrmandearmrman Posts: 21,434
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I like Lilly Allen, but her vocal abilities really show up as poor on this advert, can't say I like this version of the song.
  • Alien_SaxonAlien_Saxon Posts: 1,178
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought her 5 minutes of fame were up?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 515
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I thought that was lovely :)
  • babeloguebabelogue Posts: 1,008
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dearmrman wrote: »
    I like Lilly Allen, but her vocal abilities really show up as poor on this advert, can't say I like this version of the song.

I thought that as well. She's ok with a large full production behind her, but she shouldn't be singing song with such a sparse production, it really shows up how thin and weak her vocals are.
  • Eric_BlobEric_Blob Posts: 7,756
    Forum Member
    like this advert, it's great to have Lily back. Expecting this to be top 10 come christmas week.

I don't think they'll ever beat this though; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pSLOnR1s74o

I wouldn't be surprised if it went top 10 this week or next week, to be honest.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 619
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lily did a purposely subtle vocal, she's never claimed to be a Whitney, there's more to singing than power.