Tiger Woods PGA Tour 14

familyguy8904familyguy8904 Posts: 2,587
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Hi all

Have anyone played on Tiger Woods PGA Tour 14 for PS3 or XBOX 360 if so is it anygood like is it better then 13 one?
Is it worth buying it for £40 or should I wait until is like £20/25?
Also do u have to buy different courses off PS store or Xbox live as I read some review that u do.

thanks.

Comments

• BesterBester Posts: 9,698
    Forum Member
    I skipped 13 so I can't compare it to that. Last one I had was 12. Since 12 the putting system seems to have changed. General gameplay seems to be just about the same as it always is though.

The latest addition in this iteration is that you now get to play the big four majors (The Open, PGA Championship, US Open and The Masters). There's also a full-blown ladies Championship this time around. Oh, forgot the 'Take Down the Legends' mode, where you take on a host of legendary golfers (Seve, Niclaus, Palmer, Player, Snead, Trevino etc). Good thing about this is that they're period specific so you end up playing in historical clothing, using historical equipment.

Courses - 20 on disc, and then as usual you can buy a load more as DLC. Going through the career at the moment, generally, every other tournament, or every third one, is played on a course that I don't have on disc. Luckily, you don't have to skip these tournaments you can just opt to switch courses and use one that you do have on disc.

Is it worth £40? Seeing as I skipped 13, then for me it was. If you have 13 already, I'm really not sure.
  • Steveaustin316Steveaustin316 Posts: 15,779
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why do they release a 2014 game when we are only just a quater of the way through 2013?
    Forum Member
    They always number them a year ahead - Makes them seem newer for longer. Apparently, ie. next year in 2014, Tiger Woods 14 will still be thought of as a new game by many folks.
  • DavonatorDavonator Posts: 4,406
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I might get this one, though like the OP said around the £20-25 mark. Last one I had was 12 on the Wii which I really enjoyed.

This new one (14) I see has got pretty good reviews, apparently PS Move is slightly better than Kinect in terms of swing accuracy
  • blitzben85blitzben85 Posts: 3,020
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is my first Tiger Woods game and im loving it. I decided to DL some of the other courses available but only real ones, not fussed about made up courses. I'm having fun with it but i can't for the life of me hit a fade or draw shot. :(

blitzben85 is my XBL gamertag if anyone fancies a round.
  • DavonatorDavonator Posts: 4,406
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If anyone is interested Simply Games are selling it for £27.99 (360 & PS3) , I think that's very reasonable seeing as it came out only a few weeks ago

http://www.simplygames.com/info/19801/Tiger-Woods-PGA-Tour-14-Xbox-360
  • familyguy8904familyguy8904 Posts: 2,587
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bester wrote: »
    I skipped 13 so I can't compare it to that. Last one I had was 12. Since 12 the putting system seems to have changed. General gameplay seems to be just about the same as it always is though.

The latest addition in this iteration is that you now get to play the big four majors (The Open, PGA Championship, US Open and The Masters). There's also a full-blown ladies Championship this time around. Oh, forgot the 'Take Down the Legends' mode, where you take on a host of legendary golfers (Seve, Niclaus, Palmer, Player, Snead, Trevino etc). Good thing about this is that they're period specific so you end up playing in historical clothing, using historical equipment.

Courses - 20 on disc, and then as usual you can buy a load more as DLC. Going through the career at the moment, generally, every other tournament, or every third one, is played on a course that I don't have on disc. Luckily, you don't have to skip these tournaments you can just opt to switch courses and use one that you do have on disc.

Is it worth £40? Seeing as I skipped 13, then for me it was. If you have 13 already, I'm really not sure.

^^ Thanks for that Bester, I might try the demo first and see what it like but I think still wait until I can get it for £25 from somewhere.
    Davonator wrote: »
    If anyone is interested Simply Games are selling it for £27.99 (360 & PS3) , I think that's very reasonable seeing as it came out only a few weeks ago

http://www.simplygames.com/info/19801/Tiger-Woods-PGA-Tour-14-Xbox-360

^^ I think that best deal for Tiger Woods 14 that I seen and for £28 that not bad deal special when Game are selling it for £45 for normal version :eek:
    Forum Member
    Must say, while I'm enjoying the game, I'm disappointed to see that the Masters tournament still implements the ridiculous removal of any form of spinning or controlling your shots. Seriously, what is the point? I really don't see why this course is singled out. Surely the difficulty of the actual course should determine how hard you find it, not some random bull$h1t removal of one of the fundamental gaming controls. I thought this was pretty cheap in TW12, very sad that they've kept it through 13 and now 14. It wouldn't be half as bad if the greens weren't like trying to land a ball on a shiny table-top. If you're not right on the pin then half of the time you slide off into a bunker or water hazard because you have no control over the ball. It would also help if the wind-meter was accurate or consistent.

I think as far as Augusta goes I'm just going to skip the course. A shame, a great course, ruined by a ridiculous gaming mechanic.

Ok, rant over....... :(
  • fluffedfluffed Posts: 1,791
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tried the demo, of this and they seemed to have chosen to holes that are played in the dark?

I would not pay full price for this, especially as they are persisting with making DLC courses part of the tour. Not cool.
  • blueisthecolourblueisthecolour Posts: 20,124
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bester wrote: »
    Must say, while I'm enjoying the game, I'm disappointed to see that the Masters tournament still implements the ridiculous removal of any form of spinning or controlling your shots. Seriously, what is the point? I really don't see why this course is singled out. Surely the difficulty of the actual course should determine how hard you find it, not some random bull$h1t removal of one of the fundamental gaming controls. I thought this was pretty cheap in TW12, very sad that they've kept it through 13 and now 14. It wouldn't be half as bad if the greens weren't like trying to land a ball on a shiny table-top. If you're not right on the pin then half of the time you slide off into a bunker or water hazard because you have no control over the ball. It would also help if the wind-meter was accurate or consistent.

I think as far as Augusta goes I'm just going to skip the course. A shame, a great course, ruined by a ridiculous gaming mechanic.

Ok, rant over....... :(

Do you mean after shot spin control? I thought that this was removed altogether in TW12 and that you can only put back or top spin before the shot?

I've always like to take a 'minimalist' approach to TW games - no power boast, after shot control, putt preview etc etc. I want to just line up my shot, swing the club and let physics take it course.

I've got TW12 and it really annoys me that I have to use the 'focus' function to get the shot circles reasonable - if I hit a ball clean it should go the direction I aimed it (wind dependent) - not randomly left or right depending on how much 'focus' I use. Also putting is a nightmare in TW12, it seems to also veer off left or right for no reason - even from a couple of yards out! After about 50 hours game play my character is finally good enough to put reasonably but it's taken a while!

Also I miss the 'become a legend' style gameplay of the earlier versions - where you had to do a mix of events and opponents in order to progress.
    Forum Member
    ^^ Sounds like we're talking about the same thing, but it's definitely in play on TW14. It's much like TW12 in that you can apply after-shot control on every course/event other than Augusta during The Masters. It's in play on all the other majors, just The Masters that's singled out. Just seems like a cheap means of ramping up the difficulty.

I'm all for people being able to play whatever kind of game they want to play, and for the most part TW14 actually caters to that very well. If you want a true sim, take off all the assists and off you go. If you want to put the assists on, you can. If you want some off, and some on, no problem. Just makes it galling to have that choice and then have the one thing absolutely imposed upon you during one of the major events. I ended up skipping Augusta, luckily I didn't need the FedEx points.

I've really enjoyed all three of the last TW games that I've picked up. Having the Ryder Cup tournament in TW11 was a great addition, we had loads of fun with that. TW12 added The Masters and a general polish across the board. TW14 has polished things and tightened things once again, and added the brilliant 'Take down the Legends' mode. I do agree though, that the 'become a legend' mode is sadly missed.
  • familyguy8904familyguy8904 Posts: 2,587
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Notice on Game website that u can buy Tiger Woods 14 on PS3 and XBOX 360 for only £25, I might buy that and use my reward card so I can get it for only £17.50 :D

http://www.game.co.uk/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/HubArticleView?hubId=162272&articleId=207262&catalogId=10201&langId=44&storeId=10151&cm_mmc=update-_-wk4212FY-_-topPicks-_-TigerWoodsDeal
  • gillyallangillyallan Posts: 31,708
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Quite fancy a golf game on my ps3. Last I had was tw09. Any recommendations out of tw 11,12,13.14 or even john daly.
    Not too bothered about online with them and would prob be pre-owned. So sort of looking at cheapness to fun ratio.

Edit; might consider that 14 if its instore too.

Do folk still have the silly space and bunny costumes online in the latest tw games. Was actually what puts me off of online believe it or not.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Went for 14. Was 29.99 in store mind you.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is a lot harder than I remember tw09. Got to be a lot steadier on controls. Guess makes it more interesting
    Forum Member
    Gets easier once you start building up your golfer's stats.