Chrome Double Spaced Menus ... again

I see Google have disabled the fix that turned off the awful double spaced menus in Chrome Browser:mad::mad:. Has anyone seen a new fix for this?

Comments

• AnjomoAnjomo Posts: 284
    Forum Member
    Nope. I don't think there is anyway round it anymore.

Double spacing must be the best way if Google say so.:rolleyes:
  • chenkschenks Posts: 13,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Anjomo wrote: »
    Double spacing must be the best way if Google say so.:rolleyes:

well seeing as it's their browser then yes they do say so.
    if you don't like it then use a different browser.
  • alan1302alan1302 Posts: 6,336
    Forum Member
    chenks wrote: »
    well seeing as it's their browser then yes they do say so.
    if you don't like it then use a different browser.

Doesn't make it best though :D
  • mac2708mac2708 Posts: 3,349
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Of course if Google say it's best then it is.
    Take a look at Google Product Forums with it's 19 pages of complaints about this feature and read the Google response:
    "Thanks again for your feedback on this feature and please rest assured we are reading all of your responses. As many of you have noticed, the flag many of you were using to disable the new menu UI no longer works in Chrome 28; as stated on Chromium.org, flags should only be used for temporary cases as they may not be supported in the future.

We do hear your feedback on this change and will continue to experiment with alternate experiences for context menu layouts in future Chrome versions."

http://productforums.google.com/forum/#!topic/chrome/NzOR_wVBEtI%5B451-475-false%5D

In other words, Google will do as it likes not what users want.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mac2708 wrote: »

there's a point where a company has to stop listening to every user complaint and simply release a product that fits with the companies design scheme.

if they listened to every single user complaint then they'd never get a product released.

as i said, if this "feature" is something that you simply can't live with then use a different browser - first world problems huh!
  • bobcarbobcar Posts: 19,424
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    there's a point where a company has to stop listening to every user complaint and simply release a product that fits with the companies design scheme.

if they listened to every single user complaint then they'd never get a product released.

as i said, if this "feature" is something that you simply can't live with then use a different browser - first world problems huh!

Your advice seems to be to just accept whatever any big company puts out without complaint whether you like it or not. Complaining does work for example I've (along with others) complained to Sky about aspects of their presentation and they have responded and corrected the issue.

Ultimately it is up to Google but that doesn't mean people shouldn't complain about it before using the ultimate sanction of another browser.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    bobcar wrote: »
    Your advice seems to be to just accept whatever any big company puts out without complaint whether you like it or not. Complaining does work for example I've (along with others) complained to Sky about aspects of their presentation and they have responded and corrected the issue.

you're forgetting that no-one is forcing anyone to use Chrome. it's a free product and as such you can stop using it as and when you feel like it.

sky is a paid service, and thus your voice has more importance.
    Ultimately it is up to Google but that doesn't mean people shouldn't complain about it before using the ultimate sanction of another browser.

people can complain, but doesn't mean they have to listen, or pander to every whim that every user might have.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    you're forgetting that no-one is forcing anyone to use Chrome. it's a free product and as such you can stop using it as and when you feel like it.

sky is a paid service, and thus your voice has more importance.

We do pay for Google just not directly.

I agree we have more influence with Sky. As a company they do seem to have made more effort to listen to customer feedback.
    people can complain, but doesn't mean they have to listen, or pander to every whim that every user might have.

I'm certainly not suggesting they should, all I'm saying is complaining is good for both the customer and Google if it gives them feedback on how a change is received. Ultimately Google have to make the decision but they would do well to realise who pays their wages - directly it's the advertisers but ultimately it's the customers.
  • noise747noise747 Posts: 30,692
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Of course if Google say it's best then it is.
    Take a look at Google Product Forums with it's 19 pages of complaints about this feature and read the Google response:
    "Thanks again for your feedback on this feature and please rest assured we are reading all of your responses. As many of you have noticed, the flag many of you were using to disable the new menu UI no longer works in Chrome 28; as stated on Chromium.org, flags should only be used for temporary cases as they may not be supported in the future.

We do hear your feedback on this change and will continue to experiment with alternate experiences for context menu layouts in future Chrome versions."

http://productforums.google.com/forum/#!topic/chrome/NzOR_wVBEtI%5B451-475-false%5D

Is chrome 28 the one that got this stupid idea to separate notifications from the browser? so you close the browser, but it still notifies you about stuff?

I am hoping that either the chrome clones don't support this feature or that there is a way to turn it off, when the eventually update.
  • !!11oneone!!11oneone Posts: 4,098
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The thing about UI complaints is that YOU think it's bad. Doesn't mean everyone else does. Even 10,000 complaints about it is a tiny fraction of Chrome users.

Look at Facebook. They release an updated UI, people complain and demand they change it back. Then everyone uses it anyway, then there's an updated UI and people complain and want they one that "everyone" supposedly complained about a year ago.

Suck it up and get on with it. It's a menu.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't have a problem with the double space menus, not really a priority. It is the way the new chrome works I do not like the idea off.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    noise747 wrote: »
    It is the way the new chrome works I do not like the idea off.

care to expand on that?
  • NewWorldManNewWorldMan Posts: 4,890
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    and read the Google response:
    "Thanks again for your feedback on this feature and please rest assured we are reading all of your responses. As many of you have noticed, the flag many of you were using to disable the new menu UI no longer works in Chrome 28

In the Gmail revamp, when it was in preview, they had in effect a double-spaced layout that you couldn't change. But eventually they added customisation so you could increase the layout density. I assume this was added in response to complaints. No guarantee that they will do this in Chrome but ,based on precedence, there's a chance.

I don't use Chrome as default, so had not even noticed the change until this thread started. It doesn't especially bother me in this context, whereas I did dislike the low density Gmail layout. We're all different. :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm certainly not suggesting they should, all I'm saying is complaining is good for both the customer and Google if it gives them feedback on how a change is received. Ultimately Google have to make the decision but they would do well to realise who pays their wages - directly it's the advertisers but ultimately it's the customers.

This generally means they should cater to the wishes of large sections of their user base or suffer the consequences. But if, say, only 1 in a million likes a particular feature then there's no reason why they should implement it.

But there's never any harm in users making feature requests.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    noise747 wrote: »
    Is chrome 28 the one that got this stupid idea to separate notifications from the browser? so you close the browser, but it still notifies you about stuff?

I think it is but I've not seen any evidence of it yet.

I don't mind such features generally provided that you can customise/disable them.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    care to expand on that?

He [noise747] is probably referring to the new notifications feature.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    !!11oneone wrote: »
    The thing about UI complaints is that YOU think it's bad. Doesn't mean everyone else does.

Even the tiniest of UI changes pisses off some users. Remember when Chrome dropped the "+" for the new tab button? Some users even thought Chrome had become corrupted somehow and reinstalled it. :)

Others didn't even notice the change.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This generally means they should cater to the wishes of large sections of their user base or suffer the consequences. But if, say, only 1 in a million likes a particular feature then there's no reason why they should implement it.

But there's never any harm in users making feature requests.

Yes they have to make a decision based upon what is best for them which may or may not be what an individual wants. My argument was with the attitude of the company is always right and if you don't like it go elsewhere and that moaning on this forum is close to a capital crime.

It's always worth complaining or making suggestions if a feature is important to you. Some companies like Sky are quite responsive, others not so but that doesn't mean there is no point in complaining. Even moaning on here may do some good even if only as a stress release - that is part of what the forum is for.
  • flagpoleflagpole Posts: 44,641
    Forum Member

possibly the most ridiculous things i have read on this forum this year.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    flagpole wrote: »

you obviously don't read many threads on here.
    come back when you have.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    care to expand on that?
    I think it is but I've not seen any evidence of it yet.

I don't mind such features generally provided that you can customise/disable them.
    He [noise747] is probably referring to the new notifications feature.

Yep, this is what I am on about.

when i close my browser I want it closed simple as that , I don't want bits of it in the back ground.

in the older chrome or chrome clones there is this "Continue running background apps when Comodo Dragon is closed" in the menu, I disabled that.

the one reason why i will not use chrome itself is because of their auto update system, at least with a clone it is easy to turn off.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My argument was with the attitude of the company is always right and if you don't like it go elsewhere and that moaning on this forum is close to a capital crime.

It's always worth complaining or making suggestions if a feature is important to you.

I agree. :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    flagpole wrote: »

They're not ridiculous. Companies cannot possibly satisfy every user. Especially as many requests conflict with each other! But there's nothing wrong with making a request and hoping the feature gets implemented.

OTOH, if your request doesn't get implemented, and you can't live without it, then you have to find a browser which does implement that feature.
  • neo_walesneo_wales Posts: 13,625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Never noticed until I spotted this thread, whats all the fuss about?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    neo_wales wrote: »
    Never noticed until I spotted this thread, whats all the fuss about?

What you actually mean is that it doesn't bother you so why don't you just say that?

It doesn't bother me either as I don't use Chrome but obviously a lot of people don't like it.