Chromebooks any good?

i love skyi love sky Posts: 3,296
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Im looking at buying a Chromebook laptop as im a big google fan but are they any good?

what are the pros and cons?

Comments

• noise747noise747 Posts: 30,692
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    One big can, it is Google spyware
  • scooby1970scooby1970 Posts: 2,797
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As pointed out, there are many threads here about Chromebooks. At the moment, the new HP Chromebook 11 has just come out and is an excellent machine worth considering. Not only does it look great, but performs great too.

Having a Chromebook will be living life in a browser, but if you think about it, most people spend their whole lives just in a web-browser so it's no big deal. Thankfully you're tied into Google's ecosystem, with Google Drive, Documents and Chrome, and the numerous extensions that make life inside that browser quite comfortable.

As a freelance writer, I've been living life in a browser these last few weeks for a few articles I'm writing. This one here shows how things are going so far. I've been doing all my usual work this way, and so far not come across any stumbling blocks.

If you're looking for cons of a Chromebook, then if you need a particular type of software for high-powered work then check there's a web equivalent first, my article lists a few which perfectly do the job that I need them to do.

I say embrace the future, as a laptop for the masses, they're perfectly equipped to do what most people need. Just make sure you have an internet connection.

:) Mark
  • John259John259 Posts: 28,325
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Good points:
    Not Windows 8.
    Less expensive than Windows laptops.
    Less complicated than Windows.
    Should be more reliable than Windows.
    Automatic updates.
    Interchangeable (zero setup if you switch to a different Chromebook, just log in).
    Proper keyboard (although small screen implies small keyboard).
    Larger screens than on tablets.

Bad points:
    Only available with relatively small screens at the moment (this is likely to improve in the future as manfacturers switch production from Windows laptops to Chromebooks).
    Can't run Skype.
    Printing is fiddly, you can't just plug in a printer.
    Reduced functionality when there is no internet connection (this has improved; you can now continue to edit current documents etc).
    Ongoing subscription cost for Google Drive after the initial period.
    Can't install Windows EXE programs.
    I'm not sure whether Adobe Flash Player can be used or not.
    Not suitable for anyone who is paranoid about Google :)
  • scooby1970scooby1970 Posts: 2,797
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    John259 wrote: »
    Good points:
    Bad points:
    Can't run Skype. - But can run Google equivalent

Ongoing subscription cost for Google Drive after the initial period. You get 15GB free and all documents created using Google Docs do not use the allowance

Not suitable for anyone who is paranoid about Google :) - lol

Just a few comments on that.

• StigglesStiggles Posts: 9,618
    Forum Member
    noise747 wrote: »
    One big can, it is Google spyware

Grow up......

I got the Mrs the Samsung one that was on offer on amazon a few weeks ago and she absolutely loves it. Ditched her ipad 2 for it.

Looks good, nice and fast, light as hell and battery lasts for ages.

I would recommend one.
  • ToenToen Posts: 795
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have 2 samsung ones. I bought one then liked it so much I bougfht another. Lift the lid, its on, close the lid to finish. Battery lasts ages. Surprisingly fast response, ideal for internet, email, facebook etc.
    I have a desktop but rarely use it now. I have Win 7 on one hard drive and Win 8.1 on another. Both take too long to boot and update etc.
  • IvanIVIvanIV Posts: 30,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stiggles wrote: »
    Grow up......

I got the Mrs the Samsung one that was on offer on amazon a few weeks ago and she absolutely loves it. Ditched her ipad 2 for it.

I would recommend one.

They are known for doing their own little research about their users.
  • StigglesStiggles Posts: 9,618
    Forum Member
    IvanIV wrote: »
    They are known for doing their own little research about their users.

As does every company on the planet. It's just he is a little on the paranoid side and thinks everyone spies on him and everyone is out to get him. He also hates everything new tech wise and never sees the point in it.

It's quite funny :D
  • omnidirectionalomnidirectional Posts: 18,796
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've had two, the original Samsung model from a few years ago and the more recent silver Samsung edition. They're great laptops which I'd be happy to recommend. They're also good for technophobes who don't want to deal with antivirus, system updates etc and just want something simple to browse the web.
  • John259John259 Posts: 28,325
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    FWIW The Verge has a fairly detailed review of the Acer C720 Chromebook:
    http://www.theverge.com/2013/10/23/4948120/acer-c720-chromebook-review
  • i love skyi love sky Posts: 3,296
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    well in the end i got the Acer C720 and have to say its very good so far.

but the only little moan about it that i have is that you cant set the screen to go off say if not used for 5 mins.

also there is no way of checking how much space is left on it.

apart from that im very happy with it.
  • mred2000mred2000 Posts: 10,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i love sky wrote: »
    well in the end i got the Acer C720 and have to say its very good so far.

but the only little moan about it that i have is that you cant set the screen to go off say if not used for 5 mins.

also there is no way of checking how much space is left on it.

apart from that im very happy with it.

For disc space, apparently typing this into the omnibox works:
    chrome://quota-internals

As for the power management (screen sleep times etc.) settings:
    http://blog.projectz.me/2013/03/17/chromeos-tip-setting-the-sleep-time/
  • Anika HansonAnika Hanson Posts: 15,629
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    scooby1970 wrote: »
    Just a few comments on that.

You actually get 100 GB of free storage for 2 years. After the 2 years is up you can still access anything you have stored within the 100 GB but you cannot add to it if there is any space left.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mred2000 wrote: »
    For disc space, apparently typing this into the omnibox works:
    chrome://quota-internals

As for the power management (screen sleep times etc.) settings:
    http://blog.projectz.me/2013/03/17/chromeos-tip-setting-the-sleep-time/

Many thanks for that.

ive had a look at it for the power management settings and i cant work out how to do that.

is there not another way of doing it?

also whats the omnibox?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Many thanks for that.

ive had a look at it for the power management settings and i cant work out how to do that.

is there not another way of doing it?

also whats the omnibox?

There might be apps that provide a front-end for power management settings in ChromeOS but I've not looked for any.

The OmniBox is basically the address bar... what you type web addresses in to...
  • paulbrockpaulbrock Posts: 16,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    when there's a decent RAW photo editor in the cloud, I'll get one. Right now though I need Lightroom, and thus Windows (or Mac I guess)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    paulbrock wrote: »
    when there's a decent RAW photo editor in the cloud, I'll get one. Right now though I need Lightroom, and thus Windows (or Mac I guess)

Pics.io looks promising, and Google look to be making moves in that direction by making RAW uploads into G+ possible. Think Google's buying of Nik has helped make that happen, a lot of tech commentators are saying it's only a matter of time before they have online RAW editing.

ETA: Oh, seems they have some editing capabilities but I've not given it a go yet:
    http://www.androidcentral.com/google-dramatically-improving-raw-photo-uploads-supporting-over-70-camera-models
    http://www.stuckincustoms.com/2013/09/25/raw-photos-in-the-cloud-now-on-google/
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Each time i turn it on i have to keep putting in my google password.

So is there anyway of turning that off?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Each time i turn it on i have to keep putting in my google password.

So is there anyway of turning that off?

Don't think so, it's only like logging into every other OS out there...
  • curiousclivecuriousclive Posts: 378
    Forum Member
    mred2000 wrote: »
    Don't think so, it's only like logging into every other OS out there...

In windows you don't have to have a password if not wanted (with the chance of security problems of course, But at least you have a choice)

I believe you also don't need to have one for Macs either.
  • ToenToen Posts: 795
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You do not need to turn it off. You close the lid and it sleeps. You open the lid to wake ir; no password required.
  • zx50zx50 Posts: 91,227
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Toen wrote: »
    You do not need to turn it off. You close the lid and it sleeps. You open the lid to wake ir; no password required.

Yep. I never turn my laptop off, but always just put it to sleep. Then again, it's hooked up to the mains.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stiggles wrote: »
    Grow up......

I would recommend one.

Just making people knows that you are followed where ever you go by google and there is no way to get out of it. All your documents are scanned by google, your web browsing is followed by Google.

The idea of the machine is good in that it is a light weight machine, that is simple to use, and have a keyboard, but too much google for me.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In windows you don't have to have a password if not wanted (with the chance of security problems of course, But at least you have a choice)

I believe you also don't need to have one for Macs either.

Not, at the moment you don't, but it is getting close to it, with windows 8.1, it will more or less try to force you into having a Ms account and a lot of people will just do it because it is easier.