Strictly missing Alesha!

Comments

• *Topaz**Topaz* Posts: 4,263
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not sure what the original poster's point is. Good luck to Alesha if she's earning more money on BGT but it doesn't prove that she's a loss to SCD. I found her relentless cackling, her inane patronising comments, and lack of expertise really irritating and am glad she's gone to a show I never watch. Darcey has much more to offer as a judge and is just as good humoured and far wittier. The other judges and both pro and celeb dancers seem to respect and appreciate her advice. She got off to a shaky start but once in her stride she seemed to make the show more relaxed for the contestants.

I agree those were the reasons why I found Alesha very irritating. As has been said earlier she was fine as a contestant - loved most of the dances, the chemistry and lovely, fun partnership she had with Matthew Cutler but as a judge she didn't cut it for me.

I agree about Darcey too - I think she's grown into the role well and obviously takes it seriously as it was reported she was learning about ballroom and latin before she started in the role - even if they're not her genres of expertise at least she has an interest in it and sounds like she knows what she's talking about.
    JohnCurry wrote: »
    She had several months full-time intensive training in ballroom dancing with a top teacher.

And all that training she had still does not mean she was a very good judge! IMO of course ;)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 400
    Forum Member
    A lousy judge you say? Questionable!

Alesha was the only ever judge with the ability of empathy! She truly understood what the contestants were going through and what was a realistic standard for them as amateurs! Alesha wasn't judging as a professional, you have to remember that and that kind of critique is vital for contestants.

Her camaraderie, charisma and ability to have fun was second to none and added that much needed 'spark' to the panel.

This isn't a professional dance competition, it's an entertainment show; hence the need for entertaining judges. Darcy is not that.

Agree with this. She handled her role on SCD well. All the judges have a role to play.

I watch SCD and DWTS. I have to agree with your above assessment. All the others are not trained professionally in ballroom, Len is the only one with true ballroom dancing experience. Darcy and CAI from DWTS have completely different dance experience. Yet, they all critique the couples more for showing off and getting attention for themselves rather than to help the celebrity. The PROs teaching the celebs are the ones actually qualified to judge when you look at all the judges backgrounds. I'm only aware of Len and Alesha having actual ballroom dancing partners. Who has CRH and Bruno danced with as a ballroom partner? Darcy danced for a hot minute ballroom on her introduction. Ballet is a different genre from ballroom dancing just as contemporary is.

If people are being so technical about it, Artem and Pasha should be the judges. They have the most experience in different styles of dance and show business combined compared to all of the others. CRH, Bruno and Darcy should be dancing with the celebs to get experience.

The negative comments about Alesha are typical of people that show no deference by being mean spirited to describe their dislike of someone, yet cry outrage when someone else takes chutzpah and response back.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    idetached wrote: »
    The negative comments about Alesha are typical of people that show no deference by being mean spirited to describe their dislike of someone, yet cry outrage when someone else takes chutzpah and response back.
    Personally I only give respect to people who deserve it and imo Alesha never did anything to deserve my respect as a judge on SCD. I'd say it's being over sensitive describing people as 'mean spirited' just because they don't think she was a very good judge - it's hardly 'hater' type stuff to hold that opinion.

And it wasn't a case of the OP just responding with 'chutzpah' - the OP was actually very rude and going against the rules of the forum in describing posters on the thread as 'haters' and 'uneducated'!
    Forum Member
    *Topaz* wrote: »
    Personally I only give respect to people who deserve it and imo Alesha never did anything to deserve my respect as a judge on SCD. I'd say it's being over sensitive describing people as 'mean spirited' just because they don't think she was a very good judge - it's hardly 'hater' type stuff to hold that opinion.

And it wasn't a case of the OP just responding with 'chutzpah' - the OP was actually very rude and going against the rules of the forum in describing posters on the thread as 'haters' and 'uneducated'!

Yes, that is your opinion and you are entitled to it.

This opinion seems to only apply to Alesha a lot on this board......She's beautiful, human and learned as she went through the show. No matter what she said or did it wasn't going to be good enough. The dislike of her for realistic unexplainable reasons other than to say she doesn't have expertise that all of the other judges don't have except Len is reason enough to continue on DS to disparage her.:rolleyes:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, that is your opinion and you are entitled to it.

This opinion seems to only apply to Alesha a lot on this board......She's beautiful, human and learned as she went through the show. No matter what she said or did it wasn't going to be good enough. The dislike of her for realistic unexplainable reasons other than to say she doesn't have expertise that all of the other judges don't have except Len is reason enough to continue on DS to disparage her.:rolleyes:
    If you read the thread - there have been other reasons given as to why posters think she didn't make a good judge.

I would also add that all the judges come in for a fair bit of flack - probably not as much as Alesha has but it's still there - no judge is ever going to please everyone. There's a recent thread on Len where some posters have given reasons why they don't take him seriously as a judge. I wasn't overly impressed with Craig last series although I have liked him in the past.
  • j4Rosej4Rose Posts: 5,482
    Forum Member
    She had several months full-time intensive training in ballroom dancing with a top teacher, which is more than the average amateur competition couple get in two years and infinitely more than Craig or Bruno who had none at all - in fact I doubt if they had ever even thought about ballroom before they smelled money and became instant "experts".

I remember when the show first started Craig supposedly wrote a book about the subject, but it turned out to have been really written by Len. What Craig did was not clear - perhaps he took the manuscript to the publisher and brought the proofs back.

So did Ann Widdecombe (only Anton, but still).
  • j4Rosej4Rose Posts: 5,482
    Forum Member
    Agree with this. She handled her role on SCD well. All the judges have a role to play.

I watch SCD and DWTS. I have to agree with your above assessment. All the others are not trained professionally in ballroom, Len is the only one with true ballroom dancing experience. Darcy and CAI from DWTS have completely different dance experience. Yet, they all critique the couples more for showing off and getting attention for themselves rather than to help the celebrity. The PROs teaching the celebs are the ones actually qualified to judge when you look at all the judges backgrounds. I'm only aware of Len and Alesha having actual ballroom dancing partners. Who has CRH and Bruno danced with as a ballroom partner? Darcy danced for a hot minute ballroom on her introduction. Ballet is a different genre from ballroom dancing just as contemporary is.

If people are being so technical about it, Artem and Pasha should be the judges. They have the most experience in different styles of dance and show business combined compared to all of the others. CRH, Bruno and Darcy should be dancing with the celebs to get experience.

Ever so slightly melodramatic. What you're saying is that you can't take it when someone disagrees with you - we get that.
  • ZeusZeus Posts: 10,459
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't think Alesha was ever suited to be an SCD judge. I was dismayed that they gave Arlene the boot, and didn't see the need for it. Alesha tried her best, but she always seemed out of her depth. I don't watch BGT but don't begrudge her any success she may be having on there, but I thought Darcy replacing her on SCD was a huge, huge improvement to the dancing show.
  • kayceekaycee Posts: 12,046
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    She had several months full-time intensive training in ballroom dancing with a top teacher, which is more than the average amateur competition couple get in two years and infinitely more than Craig or Bruno who had none at all - in fact I doubt if they had ever even thought about ballroom before they smelled money and became instant "experts".

I remember when the show first started Craig supposedly wrote a book about the subject, but it turned out to have been really written by Len. What Craig did was not clear - perhaps he took the manuscript to the publisher and brought the proofs back.

Like all SCD contestants, Alesha learnt to dance routines which is totally different to learning the real technique of a dance. It's a bit like saying someone can read because they have been told the words on a page so many times they remember them. Show them words out of context, and they'd not have a clue. Also Alesha was very over-rated as a dancer. Her so-called "wonderful" cha cha for example, for a technical horror! She may have been better than any other contestant that year, but she certainly wasn't that great.

Bruno I agree knew nothing about bb dancing before Strictly, but Craig did, having danced bb in his native Australia. He did write the book you refer to; Len simply wrote the foreword for it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,317
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

In fact, Bruno looks incredibly lost without Alesha. You can see that he misses her and is missing that relationship with Alesha.

I have noticed a change in Bruno in the last series. And it is that now he sitting beside Len, he has changed for the better. His remarks are to the point and because Alesha is no longer beside him he has become the best judge of all.

Alesha was a distraction. She has very little to do on Britain's Got Talent and that suits her.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She had enough to win it, which is more than any of the others did.

Yes, Alesha won her series of Strictly but It did not make her the equal of a Dance Professional.
  • JohnCurryJohnCurry Posts: 1,372
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kaycee wrote: »
    Like all SCD contestants, Alesha learnt to dance routines which is totally different to learning the real technique of a dance. It's a bit like saying someone can read because they have been told the words on a page so many times they remember them. Show them words out of context, and they'd not have a clue. Also Alesha was very over-rated as a dancer. Her so-called "wonderful" cha cha for example, for a technical horror! She may have been better than any other contestant that year, but she certainly wasn't that great.

Bruno I agree knew nothing about bb dancing before Strictly, but Craig did, having danced bb in his native Australia. He did write the book you refer to; Len simply wrote the foreword for it.

No, Len also posed for the demonstration photos - or perhaps you didn't notice that. Why didn't Craig do it, if he knew so much about the subject? And could we have some details about Craig's supposed ballroom dancing in Australia - including where the information came from?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No, Len also posed for the demonstration photos - or perhaps you didn't notice that. Why didn't Craig do it, if he knew so much about the subject? And could we have some details about Craig's supposed ballroom dancing in Australia - including where the information came from?

Is there any need for that unpleasant tone?

I don't think kaycee was claiming that Craig was a great authority on ballroom dancing just that he'd danced it in Australia. And if you're so interested in his dance background why don't you search for the details! If Craig has said he's danced ballroom - I'm inclined to believe him - obviously he didn't do it to a high level but since Australia has got a vibrant ballroom scene I reckon he probably did do some as part of his dance training. I know on ITT once they showed him teaching some actors how to waltz on a show he was choreographing.

And why are you so hung up about this book that Craig had published? It's just a long forgotten book - at the end of the day you don't need to be an expert to get a book published on a subject that interests you - even Darren Gough had a book published on dance of the back of his Strictly success! So what if he drafted in Len to do the photo demos - perhaps he thought it would give him extra publicity for the book.

I can't believe I've just defended Craig given how much he annoyed me last series but there you go :D
  • strictlydivastrictlydiva Posts: 720
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I liked her as a contestant but she was awful as a judge. Just copied what Bruno said!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Another thing. She gave any good looking man a ten!
  • kayceekaycee Posts: 12,046
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I have a book on the technique of Latin American dancing in which David Sycamore & Denise Weavers, Alan & Hazel Fletcher (among others) "pose" (as you put it) for the demonstration photos. However, they did not write one word of the text.
  • Linda_DeanLinda_Dean Posts: 748
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Haven't been back here in 6 months. Alesha hasn't been in Strictly for a year or 2, and yet still the bitching, lol.

OP, the two shows are hardly comparable on any level. So, judging the type of, err, 'judging' role, (AKA – 'raising my profile') is just silly, they are two very different shows.

I liked Alesha on Strictly, and felt she got a very hard time on here for no real reason, though I don't feel the show lost much when she left. Darcy is OK as well. I don't watch BGT.

Good luck to her. Hope she is earning more with BGT than with the BBC. Show business chews up and spits out pretty things like her, hope she's raking it in whilst she has the opportunity!
    Forum Member
    j4Rose wrote: »
    Ever so slightly melodramatic. What you're saying is that you can't take it when someone disagrees with you - we get that.

Guess the forum rules only apply to people that don't bash Alesha. So I'll continue in my melodramatic fashion as you call it. It doesn't matter how I say it. It's obvious that Alesha did what she was supposed to do. She made an impression. Certainly on this board since so many can't seem to get enough of running her and anyone that thinks she did OK on SCD down.
  • cazzbarcazzbar Posts: 2,125
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've never watched BGT so I can't comment on it.

I always thought Alesha struggled on Strictly - the new routines were beyond her expertise.

I groaned when I heard the news of Darcey becoming a judge - I thought she would be wooden. However, I think she is brilliant - she is knowledgeable about dance and is also amusing and warm. I really like her and think she is a great addition to the judging panel.
  • GibmanGibman Posts: 621
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've missed her as much as I would miss a turd.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think the OP would have been better off posting an appreciaton thread of Alesha on the BGT forum because it seems reading this thread that some of her admirers cannot stand the slightest bit of criticism of her and disagreement which is a strange double standard given how much they've laid into to the other judges and posters who take a different view.

Alesha's not part of Strictly anymore - if she's the raving success on BGT that the OP says she is - I'm sure she's not losing any sleep that many people don't miss her on Strictly.
  • ewoodieewoodie Posts: 26,714
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Other than saying to the good-looking ones, that she liked their tight trousers.:D

She was a great contestant, but a lousy judge.

And has now found her perfect judging role on BGT.
    Forum Member
    She had enough to win it, which is more than any of the others did.

This is a truth the ones that like to trash her can't accept.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh dear.........
  • JohnCurryJohnCurry Posts: 1,372
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The irony is that one of these days they are going to be missing her on BGT as well, when she lands her own chat show. Her try-out on Lorraine was very well received.

Alesha Dixon on Lorraine Part 1 .
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_5ebdXK0PH8