will PS4 finally allow you to play music over your games??

biggebruvbiggebruv Posts: 6,626
Forum Member
have they mentioned anything about that:confused:

Comments

• Ash_735Ash_735 Posts: 8,493
    Forum Member
    I assume it will be left up to developers again, the PS3 CAN do it, it's just if a developer wants to turn it on, Microsoft have a patent on automatically enabling this so both Sony and Nintendo have to have this work around.
  • alternatealternate Posts: 8,110
    Forum Member
    It doesn't even play music CDs this time around, so even less likely.
  • NorfolkBoy1NorfolkBoy1 Posts: 4,109
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    alternate wrote: »
    It doesn't even play music CDs this time around, so even less likely.

But how would you ever be able to play music off a CD while playing a game on BD?
  • mojobrewmojobrew Posts: 1,608
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not sure they've finally confirmed that it won't play audio CDs, just a couple of off-the-cuff comments as far as I'm aware - unless someone wants to put me wrong?
  • gillyallangillyallan Posts: 31,708
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sort of goes against the media centre idea everyone is going for these days if it doesn't play cds
  • Ash_735Ash_735 Posts: 8,493
    Forum Member
    gillyallan wrote: »
    Sort of goes against the media centre idea everyone is going for these days if it doesn't play cds

Sony don't want that angle this time, apparently they want to make it some kind of Gamers Machine, crazy idea.

Weird how priorities flip over a generation. The PS3 came out its focus was to be a media center, which everyone hated, then the Xbox 360 focused on games only, and then they switched to also being a media center, and now the Xbox 360 is used more for media streaming in the US whilst the PS3 switched focus to games, and now the PS3 is used more for gaming. Crazy.
  • redhatmattredhatmatt Posts: 5,197
    Forum Member
    Ash_735 wrote: »
    Sony don't want that angle this time, apparently they want to make it some kind of Gamers Machine, crazy idea.

Weird how priorities flip over a generation. The PS3 came out its focus was to be a media center, which everyone hated, then the Xbox 360 focused on games only, and then they switched to also being a media center, and now the Xbox 360 is used more for media streaming in the US whilst the PS3 switched focus to games, and now the PS3 is used more for gaming. Crazy.

Which is a mistake as the media centre model worked for the 360 and the PS3.
  • NorfolkBoy1NorfolkBoy1 Posts: 4,109
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Anyone who wants a modern media centre isn't buying CDs any more.
  • gillyallangillyallan Posts: 31,708
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah there is that. I personally still buy cds but guess its a decreasing market.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 47
    Forum Member
    redhatmatt wrote: »
    Which is a mistake as the media centre model worked for the 360 and the PS3.
    I tried using both the 360 & PS3 as a media server & found them both useless, Ended up sticking with my old xbox running XBMC alongside XBMC for PC for stuff the xbox can't play (HD for example).

Both the 360 & PS3 are too restricted in what they do compared to other media players.

If either the PS4 or NextBox is going to stick with media player capabilities, They should allow you to use 3rd party software such as XBMC.
  • stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    Anyone who wants a modern media centre isn't buying CDs any more.

Sometimes it is necessary to buy CDs when they are not available on download.

I had to buy one yesterday as my former copy got worn out.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah there is that. I personally still buy cds but guess its a decreasing market.

Me too Allan. I think we're a dying breed though,
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I know a senior producer at one of the listed PS4 developers, who is currently working on PS4 game(s). I mentioned the PS4 no audio CD thing when I was with him on Saturday, he didn't have a clue what I was talking about.

I'm yet to be convinced whether the rumoured lack of audio CD support on PS4 is real or not.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 695
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Do people still listen to audio CD's?
  • Flawed-TacticsFlawed-Tactics Posts: 3,488
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gevans81 wrote: »

Of course, yes.

Do people still listen to vinyl, yes.
  • scooby1970scooby1970 Posts: 2,797
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I listen to CD's and still buy CD's.

;) Mark
  • fastest fingerfastest finger Posts: 12,862
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I only use them in the car.

Personally, I never really got the concept of listening to your own music over games. The devs should be adding soundtracks that compliment games anyway, in my opinion.
  • whoever,heywhoever,hey Posts: 30,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Personally, I never really got the concept of listening to your own music over games. The devs should be adding soundtracks that compliment games anyway, in my opinion.

I couldn't agree more with that.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,813
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I only use them in the car.

When playing a GTA like game such as Saints Row where i don't really like the music, i'll stick my own music on the laptop and just mute it when a cutscene starts

To be honest though, it wouldn't bother me if the feature wasn't included on the PS4
  • fastest fingerfastest finger Posts: 12,862
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    thomas2400 wrote: »
    When playing a GTA like game such as Saints Row where i don't really like the music, i'll stick my own music on the laptop and just mute it when a cutscene starts

To be honest though, it wouldn't bother me if the feature wasn't included on the PS4

Whether or not you "like" the music is irrelevant in my view, The music should fit the game in terms of genre and be relevant to the time period.

You wouldn't play inappropriate music over a movie. If someone didn't "like" classical music, would they really choose to play pop music over the top of a Star Wars fight scene?

Not that I'm judging you or saying an individual such as yourself can't do what they want. Just my personal viewpoint.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,813
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Whether or not you "like" the music is irrelevant in my view, The music should fit the game in terms of genre and be relevant to the time period.

You wouldn't play inappropriate music over a movie. If someone didn't "like" classical music, would they really choose to play pop music over the top of a Star Wars fight scene?

Not that I'm judging you or saying an individual such as yourself can't do what they want. Just my personal viewpoint.

Oh i totally agree, in genre specific games you should not listen to your own music Call of duty World at war for example does not need music over the top as that music wouldn't be present during WWII

But my example, in a open world game where you get in a car and a radio station turns on, if the game doesn't have music i like i'll play my own and i won't of lost any of the feeling the game was going for as i'm still just driving from A to B

So for me it can and does work both ways
  • Steveaustin316Steveaustin316 Posts: 15,779
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's an absoulte must for me in games like GTA. I want to be able to drive around in GTA 5 listening to a custom playlist.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Menu music in games like FIFA, then it's worth it. The same songs, none of which you really like, looping over and over and over... much better to have your own tunes playing.
  • whoever,heywhoever,hey Posts: 30,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Do you actually mean play CD music on your console whilst playing a game?

This is the craziest idea i've ever heard. Haven't you got a stereo?

If you just mean BGM then sure, the PS3 does it already if the game dev wants to use it, so whats the issue?
  • redhatmattredhatmatt Posts: 5,197
    Forum Member
    I hope titles like GTA and other titles with Radio in allow for custom soundtracks.