My Mad, Fat Diary

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 284
    Forum Member
    doom&gloom wrote: »
    One of the reasons I've never watched is that apart from Rae the rest of the cast look like they are from Skins, that's not realistic at all, that you're either ugly or beautiful and nothing in between when of course that's where the majority of us are.
    I think actually this case has a quite realistic look. There are no model-material actors in it - Finn and Archie are alright, Chloe looks like a lot of teenage girls (and that's necessary because it has a bit of an influence over her relationship with Rae), the other girl I forget the name of is average, Chop is below average (though I expect some people find him attractive because there is perhaps something about him....). There's a good variety - no HIDEOUS cast members, no unrealistically good looking ones either. Which is good when the show is partly about the physical aspects of people.
  • Slow_LorisSlow_Loris Posts: 24,845
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think actually this case has a quite realistic look. There are no model-material actors in it - Finn and Archie are alright, Chloe looks like a lot of teenage girls (and that's necessary because it has a bit of an influence over her relationship with Rae), the other girl I forget the name of is average, Chop is below average (though I expect some people find him attractive because there is perhaps something about him....). There's a good variety - no HIDEOUS cast members, no unrealistically good looking ones either. Which is good when the show is partly about the physical aspects of people.

I agree, i think they all look like "normal" teenagers.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 26,449
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Moloko wrote: »
    No, we lost My So-Called Life prematurely before, please not this one.

Just re-watched the entire series at the ripe old age of 38 and reignited my Jordan Catalano mega crush :o

Utterly fantastic show and still head and shoulders above any other 'teen' show.
  • yorkiegalyorkiegal Posts: 18,929
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    In the book, Rae only spent a few nights in a psychiatric ward didn't she? Rather than the months she appeared to be there in the tv show.
  • lulu25lulu25 Posts: 552
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    TBH from the trailers I didnt think I would enjoy this- only tuned in for the music( love this era and was only a couple of years younger than Rae in 1996) and thought it was about time a new series was set in the 90's, however, I was proved wrong and have been really enjoying it!

I may be the only one but have some sort of weird crush on Kester :o

Hope they release a soundtrack of the music used in the series.:)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 159
    Forum Member
    crowby1 wrote: »
    Just one thing. I have lived just outside Stamford all my life. Did the Rae actress misread Lincolnshire on the script as Lancashire? I guess most people in this country wouldn't know what a Stamford/Peterborough accent sounds like but, it doesn't sound like her.

Maybe the real Rae moved from somewhere else before the era the series is set in?

It's because the actress playing Rae is Scottish. People from Stamford (like me) sound nothing like that at all. It's also so weird seeing it look nothing like itself, but that's just how TV is.

Also, regarding the ending of the book, I don't really want it to end the way it does in the book... If anyone's that interested, the way the book ends...
    Finn (Haddock in the book) ends up with neither Rae nor Chloe (basically Bethany in the book). Essentially, it ends with him telling Rae that if she lost weight, he'd go out with her. She's no longer friends with Bethany by that point, who's been going out with a French boy named Dieter. I really don't want it to end this way regarding Finn/Rae in the series...
  • chasing_starschasing_stars Posts: 434
    Forum Member
    I really want this to get a second series. It really makes me laugh. Loved the bit in this weeks episode when Rae asked Chloe who she preferred in the Smiths - morrissey or the lead singer and Chloe went "it depends what mood I'm in". Too funny.
  • misslibertinemisslibertine Posts: 14,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Loved the bit in this weeks episode when Rae asked Chloe who she preferred in the Smiths - morrissey or the lead singer and Chloe went "it depends what mood I'm in". Too funny.

It struck me as the sort of thing I would've done at that age :o
  • miss buzzybeemiss buzzybee Posts: 16,427
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    earlb wrote: »
    For those interested, I' m a friend of Rae and we worked together in I.L.R (local radio). Rae is now happily married, living in Tasmania and has a wonderful little boy called Harry.
    She is also on Facebook.

Ah really cool, I know she is on Twitter.

The end part of the last episode made me cry a bit you could seem things were going to crumble. Makes me nostalgic for the 90's though!
  • JillstarJillstar Posts: 1,273
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm loving this series! So glad it has been renewed for a second series. Part of me is thinking that although they look to care a lot for each other, Rae and Finn wouldn't (and probably shouldn't) be together as a romantic couple. For the most part I think I would like them to be close friends and I think for there to be a second series they should stay friends as often in drama it seems to be difficult to keep a couple together without there being difficulties or it being boring to watch. Then again "my mad fat diary" has been a refreshingly 'real' drama so it might work.
    I just hope Kester will be in series 2 too as well as Tix as they too have been extremely interesting characters to watch and the whole mental health/psychological issues is one of the things that helps set it apart.
    About that, have they said what specific issues Rae has/had or is this something that'll come out in the series finale?
  • heart of glassheart of glass Posts: 1,532
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gonna be watching this on E4+1 soon, pretty gutted it's the last episode of the series because I've really enjoyed it. Does anyone know for sure if it's getting a second series?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes its been recomissioned
  • SarahJamSarahJam Posts: 522
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sharon Rooney who plays Rae said they found out today or recently that they are getting a second series.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes its been recomissioned
    SarahJam wrote: »
    Sharon Rooney who plays Rae said they found out today or recently that they are getting a second series.

That's great news, thanks. :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,405
    Forum Member
    Loved it that they played Champagne Supernova!
  • Kazz_xKazz_x Posts: 844
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Had me in tears. I have been watching the show as I have been in a very similar dilemma since I was 13. 17 was my most serious attempt at suicide. And this show has really hit home with a lot of my emotions. I am someone on high anti depressants and I know how it feels to just want to throw it away and regain some control because sometimes the meds feel like they are taking over. Basically I felt the show was rather realistic, I have the stunning friend. I was on the opposite end of Rae's eating, I was anorexic, but i understood the food issues, the diary. To me, the show was amazing, and helped me with a few issues I'm still struggling with. I have already called my mum to apologize for all I put her through and the same to my best friend. I am well pleased there is a 2nd series. I can't wait to see how things develop.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The last two episodes have made me cry! Glad its getting a second series, funny how the narrator said it was coming back at the end over the credits, loads of people must have asked !!
  • MuzeMuze Posts: 2,225
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Was it genuinely based on real life events? Or was the book just fiction?

It's meant to be true then maybe I should I send a copy to local mental health services... might give them a few tips on how to treat young people :rolleyes:

Love to hate it now, it always makes be so angry as when I was going through similar issues at that age, it would have been a dream to get anywhere near the support 'spoilt 'Rae' had :( (and I wasn't cruel to animals either :mad: )
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wonder if Kester will turn out to be Rae's dad? :eek:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 26,449
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wonder if Kester will turn out to be Rae's dad? :eek:

I just thought that. You watching on +1 too?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Muze wrote: »
    Was it genuinely based on real life events? Or was the book just fiction?

It's meant to be true then maybe I should I send a copy to local mental health services... might give them a few tips on how to treat young people :rolleyes:

Love to hate it now, it always makes be so angry as when I was going through similar issues at that age, it would have been a dream to get anywhere near the support 'spoilt 'Rae' had :( (and I wasn't cruel to animals either :mad: )

Based on real life
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I just thought that. You watching on +1 too?

I am. He looked pretty upset when she was talking about not knowing her father. It would be an interesting twist.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think the last episode was the best episode because it didn't focus on Rae trying to fit in with the group
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am. He looked pretty upset when she was talking about not knowing her father. It would be an interesting twist.

It would be an awful twist!

Like the worst ever!
  • barbelerbarbeler Posts: 23,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can understand why E4 have commissioned another series, as it must seem a bit of a shock for them to have a hit on their hands. Even so, I think it will be a big mistake, because the fact that it is based on real life events separates it from yet another teen drama, no matter how well written it is. The next series will have to be an invention and I fear that it will inevitably turn into a Skins-type drama in spite of the best intentions.

I don't think there's any possibility that Kester is Rae's dad (can't remember how the book ended), but it could be that he might have similarly deserted a child of his own. I don't remember reading that in the book either, or Rae walking in front of a car.

It would have been nice to have filmed some of it in Stamford, because it did have quite a unique atmosphere.
    I suppose the problem is that many of the venues with cellar bars, such as The Scotgate and The Gateway, have now closed. Still, I suppose that after Middlemarch that would seem a minor problem, although I should imagine there would be a huge difference in the budget.

With hindsight, it would have made a really great film, but they probably couldn't have foreseen that it would have been so well received. I hope the book sales get a boost though.