The Sun - Destroying lives and still in print

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 202
Forum Member
Is anybody else shocked that this newspaper is still in print or worse still that British and Irish people still buy it?

I quite like tabloid journalism and the Star in Ireland has excellent sports coverage.

The main reason that I don't buy the Sun is because my Mam is a Liverpool fan.

Following on from that as a Man United fan I was disgusted at the stunt they tried to pull on Roy Keane a couple of years ago.

When the transfer news comes up on the teletext, if the source is the Sun you know it's not going to happen.

Not only do they write cruel comments (Hillsborough) they blatantly make things up (Bill Roache, Roy Keane, Danni Minogue).

I'm all for freedom of press but to make up lies and run nasty headlines is nowhere close to journalism.

Does anybody else feel they go too far?

Comments

• ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What are the stories they made up about Bill Roache and Danni Minogue ? If you don't like it, don't buy it (but about 2.5 million people do) You say you believe in the freedom of the press so you have to accept there are lots of different types of newspapers and other publications. Don't forget - if it's not true you can sue for libel, Sir Elton John walked away with £1 million from The Sun for making false allegations about him.
  • darkislanddarkisland Posts: 3,178
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sad really, that this is the country's biggest selling daily. It says a lot however, about the colossal failure that is the 'Comprehensive Education' system in the U.K.
  • ShaunWShaunW Posts: 2,356
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've made a point of not looking at the thing since their graphic OTT coverage of the Clapham Train Crash.

But did note their headline story on the eve of the first Gulf war, about air stewardesses from a stranded BA flight in Kuwait being raped by Iraqi troops. Of course after the war a small footnote was printed to state that the story was bullshit.

I also boycotted the NOTW for similar, in fact I started a FB page about the boycotting the NOTW, a year or two ago.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Sun claims to be the only national newspaper that tipped this year's Grand National winner ! Fame indeed. And who can forget two of the greatest headlines of all:

FREDDIE STARR ATE MY HAMSTER

GOTCHA ! (sinking of the Belgrano, changed after the first edition on Murdoch's orders)
  • zx50zx50 Posts: 91,267
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Sun will always be a very negative thing in journalism. It's as two-faced as hell at times. Not that they're much better, but I prefer The Mirror.
  • mikey1980mikey1980 Posts: 3,647
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ftv wrote: »
    What are the stories they made up about Bill Roache and Danni Minogue ? If you don't like it, don't buy it (but about 2.5 million people do) You say you believe in the freedom of the press so you have to accept there are lots of different types of newspapers and other publications. Don't forget - if it's not true you can sue for libel, Sir Elton John walked away with £1 million from The Sun for making false allegations about him.

The press should be free to print true, factual stories, however shocking or controversial: that's a free press. But they shouldn't be free to print lies or distortions of the truth.
  • gasheadgashead Posts: 13,816
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Whose lives has it 'destroyed' exactly? Roy Keane, Bill Roache and Danni Minogue seem to be doing perfectly well as far as I can tell.
  • PizzatheactionPizzatheaction Posts: 20,157
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think its old-fashioned nature will be what finishes it off. I see its front page quite often when I'm rummaging around buying newspapers for people, and it looks exactly the same as it did in 1995.

No wonder the sales have fallen so much in the last twenty years.
  • Unigal07Unigal07 Posts: 22,326
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gashead wrote: »
    Whose lives has it 'destroyed' exactly? Roy Keane, Bill Roache and Danni Minogue seem to be doing perfectly well as far as I can tell.

Helped to further destroy the families of 96 innocent victims of the Hillsborough disaster?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 202
    Forum Member
    Unigal07 wrote: »
    Helped to further destroy the families of 96 innocent victims of the Hillsborough disaster?

Exactly. It's absolutely disgusting what they get away with. They make up lies about celebrities everyday and they only run stories to grab headlines e.g. How much obese people cost the NHS but nothing about how are why these human beings became obese.

Hillsborough is the worst thing they've ever done. And they should have been shut down then.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They have apologised several times for Hillsborough.But who exactly has the powers to shut them down ? It took Murdoch himself to shut down the News of the World (for totally different reasons). You can't believe in a free press then want papers shut down. If they print lies - sue them.
  • BrumBallBrumBall Posts: 2,060
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    darkisland wrote: »
    Sad really, that this is the country's biggest selling daily. It says a lot however, about the colossal failure that is the 'Comprehensive Education' system in the U.K.

It sells well because it's a quick, light read for people to pick up for their journey to work or their lunch hour. A lot of people don't have time to sit down with a so-called 'quality'. Nothing to do with education. There are stupid Sun readers but there are stupid Guardian readers as well.

I don't buy any papers.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Some of the anti-Sun posters here seem to be remarkably well informed about its history and content
  • JAS84JAS84 Posts: 7,430
    Forum Member
    Yeah, the Bill Roache and Dannii Minogue stories were both only printed this week! And Bill's was something about him being a womaniser in the 60s but not being like that now. Well then it's not a problem is it? He's been divorced and widowed since then! Doesn't affect his current relationship.

All the papers are sometimes wrong and sometimes right about transfer news. I often think "yeah right, that won't happen" when reading the BBC Text transfer rumours page. Doesn't matter if it's The Sun, The Guardian, or anything in between.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JAS84 wrote: »
    Yeah, the Bill Roache and Dannii Minogue stories were both only printed this week! And Bill's was something about him being a womaniser in the 60s but not being like that now. Well then it's not a problem is it? He's been divorced and widowed since then! Doesn't affect his current relationship.

All the papers are sometimes wrong and sometimes right about transfer news. I often think "yeah right, that won't happen" when reading the BBC Text transfer rumours page. Doesn't matter if it's The Sun, The Guardian, or anything in between.

The Bill Roache story emerged from an interview he gave to Piers Morgan so The Sun can hardly be accused of making it up !
  • elliecatelliecat Posts: 9,890
    Forum Member
    SandyG4u wrote: »
    Exactly. It's absolutely disgusting what they get away with. They make up lies about celebrities everyday and they only run stories to grab headlines e.g. How much obese people cost the NHS but nothing about how are why these human beings became obese.

Hillsborough is the worst thing they've ever done. And they should have been shut down then.

Everyone knows how people get obese that is not people's main interests though. And in fact they do explain how people get obese on occasions. The Sun reporting on how much obese people cost the NHS is just the same as them saying how much smokers cost the NHS. People don't need explainations on how someone got fat they want to know how much that person is costing the NHS which is funded by their taxes.

If you don't like the Sun don't buy it. A small minority of people have a problem with the paper the selling figures show that most don't. I don't like the Guardian I think it is a smug paper who contributed to the NOTW closing down and people losing jobs so I simply don't buy it. I don't like the Mail as I think it is a paper obsessed with celebrity and when it gets hold of a story that will shock (such as the fox attacks a few years ago) it won't let it go until the people involved (the foxes in this case) have been demonised, so I don't buy it.

I actually buy the Times everyday as I want to know about real news and not celeb news.
    Forum Member
    The Bill Roache story emerged from an interview he gave to Piers Morgan so The Sun can hardly be accused of making it up !

He went bankrupt trying to sue them over false stories they printed. Only the sex stories made the headlines but check out the full interview.
    Forum Member
    elliecat wrote: »

If you don't like the Sun don't buy it.

I agree and like I said I have several reasons for not buying it. However, their stories still filter trhough to other mediums. I mentioned Bill Roache above and on Digital Spy there was a story about how Danni Minogue was devastated over a story they printed.

It just seems to me that they deliberately run either unfabricated stories or exetremly hurtful stories to make a quick buck.

I want great literacy, I'll buy a novel but what the Sun do can hardly be classed as journalism. Lies and deceit are not the way forward.
  • gasheadgashead Posts: 13,816
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He went bankrupt trying to sue them over false stories they printed. Only the sex stories made the headlines but check out the full interview.
    Out of interest, if they were proven to be false, how did he end bankrupt from suing them? As he presumably won, wasn't he at least awarded costs?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BrumBall wrote: »
    It sells well because it's a quick, light read for people to pick up for their journey to work or their lunch hour.
    The Scum is that, but I don't think that's the reason so many people read it, as compared to say, the i. The Sun is full of schadenfreude, alarums, exaggeration, greed, envy and attractive scandal. You can actually read it as if you were a sleeping dolphin, with at least half of your brain shut down.
    A lot of people don't have time to sit down with a so-called 'quality'. Nothing to do with education.
    :rolleyes: Keep fooling yourself. If you rely on the Sun as your main source of news, you will never be well-informed about anything more than celebs, scandal and football. If you have never heard of demographics*, then just check out the adverts in the Sun, and compare with those in the Telegraph, Guardian or Independent.
    There are stupid Sun readers but there are stupid Guardian readers as well.
    Well said. Their proportions are probably not the same though!
    I don't buy any papers.
    Maybe that's why you haven't noticed that the Sun is written with no regard for logic, is full of non sequiturs and 'facts' that are nothing of the sort, complete with playground vocabulary, nonsense headlines, block letter text and unnecessary bolding.
    Some of the anti-Sun posters here seem to be remarkably well informed about its history and content
    You expect people to comment without any basis for their views? You must be a Sun reader. If anti-Sun comments were made by someone who had never seen a copy, I'm sure you'd then complain on that basis.:yawn:

*key
  • Get Den WattsGet Den Watts Posts: 6,039
    Forum Member

It's an obsession, isn't it?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Sir Elton John sued them over false stories about him and received £1 million in damages (plus a grovelling front page apology); Bill Roache lost the case because the jury accepted the stories about him were true;
    Dannii Minogue has accepted what they wrote about her was true - you can't sue for libel if the story is true
  • Ashford SteveAshford Steve Posts: 2,110
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    All goes to show that we do not have a 'free press' in this country. We have an extremely expensive press, controlled by either megalomaniac, right-wing millionaires (Sun, Mail, Express) or the corporate advertising buck. They will lie and cheat people, slam them on grounds of race, sex and class - then drown anyone who dares complain in a sea of expensive, drawn-out law suits.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Having spent £100,000 this week buying the rights to Tom Bower's new book about Simon Cowell, tomorrow The Sun brings you the ''miracle'' story of footballer Fabrice Muamba,whose heart stopped in the middle of a game.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 446
    Forum Member
    It's an obsession, isn't it?

The TV coverage of the court cases always keeps me informed what the papers are up to ;) As for obsession, when you know people whose lives have been destroyed by paper X, it does tend to leave one a little unhappy. The Sun is not the only one and it's not just the right wing papers.