Les Miserables

Comments

• tracystapestracystapes Posts: 3,309
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think I'm a little Les Mis obsessed. I enjoyed the movie so much more than I thought I would!
  • Mystical123Mystical123 Posts: 15,811
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wouldn't it be amazing if Les Mis won every category!? I'd love that :D
    Sadly not, Skyfall has beaten it to Best British Film :rolleyes: And Anna Karenina has won Costume Design, which Les Mis was also nominated for

It has won Hair & Makeup though :D

I still can't find any pictures of Amanda Seyfried, but some of the other red carpet pics are great. Helen Mirren has pink hair! :eek:

My best dressed award goes to Jessica Chastain though, her dress is stunning!

ETA: I know it's the Daily Mail, but I'm linking it because it's got a huge picture of Anne Hathaway in it: check out her handbag! :Dhttp://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-2276515/BAFTA-Awards-2013-Caroline-Flack-leads-red-carpet-glamour-stunning-beaded-black-gown.html#axzz2Jh2loVuy
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sadly not, Skyfall has beaten it to Best British Film :rolleyes: And Anna Karenina has won Costume Design, which Les Mis was also nominated for

It has won Hair & Makeup though :D

Oh good!

Thanks for revealing :p
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 22,198
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lady Spice wrote: »
    I kinda liked "Suddenly." I thought it worked well to show the bond forming between Valjean and Cosette. I also thought the tiny reprise at the end by Cosette, after Valjean left was the perfect way to highlight how she felt about his departure.

It didn't ruin or damage the movie in any way, and I do think it added to it somewhat.

Me too. It's grown on me so much. It's something that was never brought out on stage, though it's definitely there in the book.
    For Cosette and JVJ it's the first time they've ever had someone to love and it works on so many levels. It's enough for me to know that Claude Michel wrote it, and listening to his reasoning makes perfect sense.

Why on earth did Daniel DD make one of his rare film outings this year? He's an absolute shoo in for the Oscar and BAFTA,, he gives a tour de force as Lincoln, Any other year and Hugh would have got his BAFTA and Oscar.

DDD's performance is the only thing I'll admire about Lincoln. Dull, stodgy and oh so worthy and boring. ( Though I wouldn't be upset if Tommy Lee Jones won best supporting actor. He was tremendous too.) Shame about the pedanticness of the rest of the film.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 648
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Apparently Eddie is supposed to present Best Original Screenplay with Sally Fields but "he was puking his guts backstage."
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Diorelli wrote: »
    Apparently Eddie is supposed to present Best Original Screenplay with Sally Fields but "he was puking his guts backstage."

Awh poor Eddie :(

Anne Hathaway has won :)

Seems she's sick too though, apparently she's got no voice :(
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anyone watching now on BBC One?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 648
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Best Actor and Best Film winner:
    Daniel Day Lewis and Argo
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Anyone watching now on BBC One?

Not yet, I'm going to watch it on delay and fast-forward the rubbish :p
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've just switched off. It was like 16 minutes into the show and still no winners announced. I know who has won what now anyway.
  • mal2poolmal2pool Posts: 5,690
    Forum Member
    I watched the dvd of the anniversary concert after the movie. Must say in now prefer the movie to the stage show.
  • Kolin KlingonKolin Klingon Posts: 4,296
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mal2pool wrote: »
    I watched the dvd of the anniversary concert after the movie. Must say in now prefer the movie to the stage show.

What a shame our own awards ceremony didn't.

Maybe they will get it right at the Oscars.
  • nataliannatalian Posts: 4,295
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not sure how Samantha Barks didn't get nominated for the upcoming star award.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 22,198
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I doubt it. Lincoln might get a statue for Best Picture, it's tailor made for American sensibilities, DDD will win best Actor and hopefully Argo will win a shed load of awards. The Academy are fools for ignoring Ben Affleck for Best Director.

I'd geared myself up for Annie being the only one to win an acting award, but I thought it would bag one or two technical ones. :D If it was based on box office then it would take home everything, although I didn't think Tom Hooper deserved best Director, too many close ups which got a bit much after 180 minutes.

:p Kolin I was gutted for you at the non appearance of Eddie. Maybe he needs some TLC?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    natalian wrote: »
    Not sure how Samantha Barks didn't get nominated for the upcoming star award.

Maybe next year or the year after, she hasn't done any films apart from Les Mis, and that only came out very recently.

I think she deserved a Supporting Actress nomination though. Nice to see her sitting with all the rest of the Les Mis people rather than being stuck at the back like Eddie and Amanda were at the Golden Globes!

It should have won Best British Film, but it was never going to get Best Film and it won't at the Oscars either. Lincoln is the kind of film the Academy love, though I'd much prefer it went to Argo, it would be some recompense at least for the idiocy of the Academy in not recognising Ben Affleck in the Director category.
  • nataliannatalian Posts: 4,295
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maybe next year or the year after, she hasn't done any films apart from Les Mis, and that only came out very recently.

I think she deserved a Supporting Actress nomination though. Nice to see her sitting with all the rest of the Les Mis people rather than being stuck at the back like Eddie and Amanda were at the Golden Globes!

It should have won Best British Film, but it was never going to get Best Film and it won't at the Oscars either. Lincoln is the kind of film the Academy love, though I'd much prefer it went to Argo, it would be some recompense at least for the idiocy of the Academy in not recognising Ben Affleck in the Director category.

To be honest, I think her performance in Les Mis was much more memorable than Anne Hathaway's....but I get that its not her turn yet :(
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tally wrote: »
    :p Kolin I was gutted for you at the non appearance of Eddie. Maybe he needs some TLC?

Yes that as well as what I was thinking of doing to him!
  • mimicolemimicole Posts: 50,892
    Forum Member
    Diorelli wrote: »

Oh no! :(
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 308
    Forum Member
    Well, at least the producers have a profit of almost $300,000,000 (so far,) to keep themselves warm with, which should make up for it not winning as big as we think it deserved to, at the awards ceremonies.

That's the only recogintion that really counts at the cinema anyway.
  • shelleyj89shelleyj89 Posts: 16,292
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was pretty gutted it didn't win Outstanding British Film.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Congrats to the ones it did win though. I was getting worried it was just Anne who would win!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lady Spice wrote: »
    Well, at least the producers have a profit of almost $300,000,000 (so far,) to keep themselves warm with, which should make up for it not winning as big as we think it deserved to, at the awards ceremonies.

That's the only recogintion that really counts at the cinema anyway.

That has always been the way with Les Mis - The critiques hate it and yet the actual public love it and keep going and going.

Having said that; Steven Spielberg did many of the most successful films of all time and yet they snub him for decades at the Oscars.

And James Bond has also been ignored for years but now it's celebrating its 50th, they more or less had to give it something.

So all in all it's all politics and nothing about the actual films.
  • shelleyj89shelleyj89 Posts: 16,292
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Congrats to the ones it did win though. I was getting worried it was just Anne who would win!

And seeing the little snippets at the end of the awards not shown on the main broadcast, the cast seemed thrilled with the awards that it did win :)
  • mimicolemimicole Posts: 50,892
    Forum Member
    shelleyj89 wrote: »
    And seeing the little snippets at the end of the awards not shown on the main broadcast, the cast seemed thrilled with the awards that it did win :)

Exactly. The technical awards are often overlooked but they are just as important.
  • ImOnlyWeeImOnlyWee Posts: 11,554
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Congrats to Les Mis, well deserved awards! Especially Ms Hathaway who is looking like she'll be getting a clean sweep! :D as they said on the BAFTAS red carpet last night, whether or not someone liked the movie 99% of people loved Anne.