What are the most frightening Horror movies?

Comments

• moonlilymoonlily Posts: 7,874
    Forum Member
    goldberry1 wrote: »

(But the scariest ever was Whistle and I'll Come To You ( not the one with John Hurt: the original) - just on TV - has taken years to get over it and just typing the name has given me the shivers :eek:

This original is hardly ever shown on TV - ditto Night of The Demon)
    They used to be shown around Christmas didn't they- I'm hopeful they may be shown this year as they've been absent a couple of years.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 17
    Forum Member
    Halloween. 1 & 2.
  • barbelerbarbeler Posts: 23,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    F. It's a very nasty horror film about a school (English) that will give any teacher nightmares.
  • intruder2kintruder2k Posts: 318
    Forum Member
    moonlily wrote: »
    They used to be shown around Christmas didn't they- I'm hopeful they may be shown this year as they've been absent a couple of years.

Just get hold of the BFI ghost story box set - it's got everything on there and is well worth the price ;)

Saying that, I know Mark Gatiss has developed a new adaptation of an M. R. James ghost story for this coming Christmas, so they may show others.
  • sarahj1986sarahj1986 Posts: 11,305
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The strangers, honestly its the scariest film Ive seen. I had to switch it off half way through as it was night time and watch it during the day lol

Creep is also pretty scary
  • Dan 54Dan 54 Posts: 1,822
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wrong Turn.
  • IWasBoredIWasBored Posts: 3,418
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Exorcist
    Wolf Creak
    Ringu
  • lola_skyelola_skye Posts: 21,328
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Eden Lake, even though it doesn't have any supernatural elements.

That is scary. Without saying much , I couldn't believe how the kids were so cruel.

What is the film called in which the girl comes back from a unit and takes an instant dislike to her dads new partner ? That film gives me the creeps and I love the twist
  • nittynattynoonittynattynoo Posts: 891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Another vote for sinister.

I got around twenty minutes into it and felt too unsettled and had to make my other half switch it off. I'm not normally a wuss with horror films but it really made for difficult viewing
  • WillbertWillbert Posts: 1,090
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wolf Creek - not one with anything supernatural, but a fairly scary and disturbing film.
    Eden Lake - similar to the above.
  • yorkieUKyorkieUK Posts: 2,159
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    OP - Freaks may be an interesting film to include in your media project!

It was made in 1932 and was only released after heavy censoring and a "happier ending" introduced. Almost 30 minutes were cut and the first release was only an hour long. It was banned in the UK for over 30 years. The Director, Tod Browning, drew on his personal experiences gained while a member of a traveling circus. The controversial aspect of the film was mainly because actual "freaks" were used. Forgive me for using this term.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freaks

Sadly there is not a complete version of the film as apparently much of the censored material has been lost over the years. This particular scene was considered one of the more frightening and was, in itself censored. Tame by today's standards of course but interesting all the same in my opinion:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sALWUsvL4X4

This is the 1932 official trailer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jzoKz5EsUro
  • tombigbeetombigbee Posts: 4,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Exorcism of Emily Rose

Not many films scare me but this got under my skin. For some reason anything to do with exorcism freaks me out a bit and this definitely ranks as one of the best and creepiest exorcism movies imo.

Also Grave Encounters. That really made me jump a few times.
  • ASIFZEDASIFZED Posts: 1,388
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dark Skies. Found this tale of alien visitors targeting a family, genuinely scary. If you like recent fare, like Sinister, Insidious or The Conjuring, then check it out.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    shelleyj89 wrote: »
    The Strangers is very creepy. I saw it at the cinema the first time, and fullu grown men were screaming in fear.
    I agree, The Strangers is very chilling.
  • JCRJCR Posts: 24,028
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rotor1999 wrote: »
    Martyrs

The best horror of the last 10 years

It's not frightening, it's just unpleasant.

Not a film but from recently I thought the tv series Les Revenants- The Returned- was creepy as ****.
  • wef0undl0vewef0undl0ve Posts: 6,460
    Forum Member
    lola_skye wrote: »
    That is scary. Without saying much , I couldn't believe how the kids were so cruel.

What is the film called in which the girl comes back from a unit and takes an instant dislike to her dads new partner ? That film gives me the creeps and I love the twist

Think that's the uninvited :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 53,142
    Forum Member
    sinister
    dark skies
    wrong turn(s)
    wolf creek
    insidious lol
    Forum Member
    Think that's the uninvited :)

yea, sounds like it..twist ending is good
  • Julie_EvansJulie_Evans Posts: 2,868
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tombigbee wrote: »
    The Exorcism of Emily Rose

Not many films scare me but this got under my skin. For some reason anything to do with exorcism freaks me out a bit and this definitely ranks as one of the best and creepiest exorcism movies imo.

Also Grave Encounters. That really made me jump a few times.

Oh yes, that scared me too :eek: Very realistic.
    Forum Member
    the shining
    The omen (s)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 414
    Forum Member
    The first 60 minutes of A Nightmare on Elm Street.
  • Residents FanResidents Fan Posts: 9,204
    Forum Member
    I found "Witchfinder General" to be terrifying.
  • daver34daver34 Posts: 825
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nosferatu (1922) I used to imagine him at my bedroom window.
  • farmer bobfarmer bob Posts: 27,595
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Drag Me to Hell had a few "jump out of your seat" moments.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,241
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I watched the Blair Witch project on my own one evening at my parents house in the country. Everytime I heard a rustling sound outside I was terrified. I had to sleep with the light on.

When I watched The Omen as a teenager I couldn't get the nanny suicide scene out of my head for days.

The Vanishing (dutch film) is so simple but very disturbing...